Quantcast

Izimu shock mounting

FNF

Chimp
Oct 26, 2007
Hi monkeys im new so easy now

I just got a 2008 Morewood izimu which im stoked about. I know they are quite popular round these parts and was wondering which shock position most people are running theirs in? At the moment its in the middle setting, which one gets the lowest BB?

Also im pretty light 140lbs should i run a 250 or 300lb spring on the dhx my last bike had a dhx air so im unsure what to go for?

cheers for any help :biggrin:

Beast

Turbo Monkey
May 23, 2002
Where the riding is good
The mounting hole that is closest to the front of your bike will give you the lowest bb height and the slackest ht angle. I run mine in the middle.

For comparison, I weigh 165 and use a 300# dhx spring. I'd go with the 250 if I were you.

TomBo

Monkey
Jan 13, 2004
Calgary,Alberta
160 w/ out gear.
350 on a dhx about 100 psi, chamber 1/3 of the way out
second hole mounts from the front, but my fox 40 is set at 7.5"

Dhracer3

Monkey
Jan 10, 2006
Fletcher NC
The bottom hole sets ( the hole closer to the BB) will give you the lower BB height and slacker head angle. Almost never should you use the top holes.. Middle is a good safe set up

caseyo

Monkey
Feb 14, 2007
Reno
I run mine with the forward holes, giving me a 14" BB and probably about 63.5-64 degree HA. I don't recommend it unless you're an upper level racer, cuz it's sluggish unless you're aggressive and ripping. My sport class friends don't really like my setup. Run middle holes if you're sport or beginner.

PS my 07 small Izimu complete is for sale. PM for info.

Mike Fitz

Monkey
Jun 14, 2005
Charlotte Nc
Dont want to hijack his tread but.. I have Shova Lt I weigh 165 lbs about 6' tall. I run 400 lb spring on a swinger 6 way.
Should I use a lighter spring or is this about right?
Thanks

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
The bottom hole sets ( the hole closer to the BB) will give you the lower BB height and slacker head angle. Almost never should you use the top holes.. Middle is a good safe set up
You've got that one the wrong way round. Moving the shock closer to the BB will steepen the head angle and raise the bb height. I have an 06 izumi and i run mine slammed right up to the highest setting to achieve the lowest bb height and to slacken it right out. Its fine unless its really rocky then i move it back one hole. Just to make it a little easier to pedal without smashing my cranks off rocks.

WODIE

Monkey
Jul 14, 2007
Inman/Clemson, SC
Do yall just have your bikes really slack with a lot of sag? I've got a 400 spring on my dhx 5. I've still got a decent amount of sag but i crank my spring down tight for freeriding.

MorewoodKid

Monkey
Sep 14, 2006
In the woods...
Actually the hole closest to the BB will give you the HIGHEST BB height and the STEEPEST head angle. The hole closest the fork [front of the bike] will give you the LOWEST BB height and the SLACKEST head angle.

As far as suggested positions: many of our team riders use the front hole [low BB, slack head angle] to get the center of gravity as low as possible. At 140lb you must be a fairly small rider, with this in mind I would certainly think about running the front hole.

At 140lb a 250lb spring should be the business for a DHX!

MorewoodKid

Monkey
Sep 14, 2006
In the woods...
Dont want to hijack his tread but.. I have Shova Lt I weigh 165 lbs about 6' tall. I run 400 lb spring on a swinger 6 way.
Should I use a lighter spring or is this about right?
Thanks
What year model Shova LT? Remembering that the leverage ratio and suspension design changed drastically in 2007.

If your sag is in the suggested 35% range for the Swinger then you have nothing to worry about.

Squasher

Monkey
Aug 20, 2001
K-Ville
If you run the shuttle in the slackest setting, your tire may buzz the seat stay. I put some protective 3M tape where it was doing that and then change it out every now and then.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
Funny, I have a 07 Shova LT and had a 400lb spring on my DHX. I thought it was to much. I am 175lbs. I run a DHX Air right now with only 150 PSI in it. Works great!!! I have a RS Vivid on the way and will try out a 350lb spring on it. You want to get the lightest weight spring you can get for your weight then dial the settings in on the shock to make up the difference. This way you will get the best performance out of your shock and the rear of your bike will track better.

demo9pro

Chimp
Oct 21, 2007
NNJ
Just ordered a 2008 Izimu large frame from Patrick. Can't wait! I weigh 220 w/ a pushed fox dhx. Any ideas on spring rate? 450-500-550 I'm thinking? Oh yeah, I ride east coast and not a big hucker/jumper, more into speed. Thanks for any help.

NOOP

Chimp
Apr 26, 2007
I run mine in the forward/slackest position. I race sport class, and personally, I like having the lower BB height. The slack HA hasn't been an issue, either. On the flip side, I haven't tried any other position... maybe I'm selling myself short? :hmm:

NOOP

Chimp
Apr 26, 2007
Just ordered a 2008 Izimu large frame from Patrick. Can't wait! I weigh 220 w/ a pushed fox dhx. Any ideas on spring rate? 450-500-550 I'm thinking? Oh yeah, I ride east coast and not a big hucker/jumper, more into speed. Thanks for any help.
I weigh 220 and run a 500lbs spring. The only time I've noticed bottoming out was over drops to [almost] flat. You could probably get away with a 450 but I imagine it will be pretty mushy, especially if you wear full armor.

ROTFLMAO

Monkey
Nov 17, 2007
Maumee, Ohio
I have an '07 Izimu and go about 210#. I asked the boys at Morewoodhow I should set the suspension up and here's what they told me:

Middle shock mounts
450# spring
No propedal
180 psi in the boost chamber
Bottom Out between first and middle line

That felt pretty good but it was pretty stiff throughout the travel so I am now running:

Middle shock mounts
450# spring
No propedal
140-150 psi in the boost chamber (depends on that days riding)
Bottom Out all the way down and backed of half a turn

Those setting have given me a much more plush initial stroke with a more progressive end stroke. I do bottom out more frequently but only on big stuff and the bottoming isn't harsh at all.

sayndesyn

Turbo Monkey
I run mine in the second slackest position. I weight 190 and run a 500lb spring on a dhx. I started out at 400, but have had to go up twice even with the recommended settings. I'm going to try out a vivid over the winter and probably try a 400lb spring.

demo9pro

Chimp
Oct 21, 2007
NNJ
do you think my 550lb ti spring is too much for a 220lb rider and pushed fox dhx?
Rode my Morewood 1st time this wknd. Loved it! More nimble, and stable at high speeds than my demo9 or norcoteamdh, though the brake jack will take a bit of adjusting to my riding style coming from an FSR linkage. Set Up: Slackest/most forward shock mount position, Push'd DHX 5.0 , 145lbs in boost chamber, 3 clicks of propedal, mod-slow rebound, 500lb spring with 1/2 to 1 turn preload, 225lb rider+gear: Great ride overall, but maybe a 450lb spring would be a bit better to manage small trail chatter.

Speedwa

Chimp
Jul 24, 2008
PNW
with the shock in the forward/more slack possition what is the head angle and bottom bracket height with a boxxer?

demo9pro

Chimp
Oct 21, 2007
NNJ
FYI, the morewood sight has a chart under 'izimu' then 'geometry' that tells you those measurements if you know or can find out the axle to crown height of your boxxer, there are three options form like 565-585mm or so

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
I run mine in the middle hole...

i weigh 185 (190 with gear) and i run a Vivid with a Obtainium Ti 300lb spring... (never bottoms it out)

i say for with a 250 or a 200 spring. The geo of the Izimu lets you run lighter Springs.

Speedwa

Chimp
Jul 24, 2008
PNW
FYI, the morewood sight has a chart under 'izimu' then 'geometry' that tells you those measurements if you know or can find out the axle to crown height of your boxxer, there are three options form like 565-585mm or so
Thanks I saw that but I am looking for an 08 not in the middle setting

ROTFLMAO

Monkey
Nov 17, 2007
Maumee, Ohio
How many of you run your '07/'08 Izimu with the shuttle in the forward/slack setting? Why do you prefer it in that setting?

I just moved mine there from the middle and it feels pretty low and slack. I think I like it.

I just got back from a trip to 7 Springs and while it's not the gnarliest hill around it's got some fast steep sections. Coming off of a blindside I liked the way the morewood jumped and it did feel more nimble but I missed the amazing railing ability of the blindside. I'm assuming that the b-side's cornering prowess is due to it's extremely low BB so I'm hoping to get some of that with the Izimu set up in the forward mounts.

Will this make the bike feel considerably more sluggish/less nimble?

NOOP

Chimp
Apr 26, 2007
How many of you run your '07/'08 Izimu with the shuttle in the forward/slack setting? Why do you prefer it in that setting?

I just moved mine there from the middle and it feels pretty low and slack. I think I like it. ...

Will this make the bike feel considerably more sluggish/less nimble?
I think you'll have to make the call on what's best for your style of riding. I had mine in the forward/slack setting for the entire season. It never felt sluggish and I don't recall any cornering calamities, either. That said, I've never run it any other way, so I really can't comment on comparing it to other settings.

TomBo

Monkey
Jan 13, 2004
Calgary,Alberta
Guys it takes about one maby two minutes of your life to...
Undo the two bolts.
Slide the shock mount.
Then replace the bolts.

Maby just try it and decide for yourself...

demo9pro

Chimp
Oct 21, 2007
NNJ
2008 frame, 888 ata sl fork, slackest setting =65 degree head angle and 14.06 bb height with the fork slammed down to 8" and zero stack headset.