Quantcast

jace learns to jump

E

endtroducing

Even though i am supposed to be at home and sick (sun poisoning!) I couldn't waste a day off of work in bed. I gaggled down a fistful of advil and headed back to my local trails this morning around 8:30 with the intention of just taking some photos, but once i got there, I couldn't resist the temptation to attempt to ride. After warming up slowly on some rollers, I moved to the smaller tables in an effort to learn nosing in and work on my landings. After 3-4 tries i stuck one JUST right, and this resulted in a lot more speed than i had expected...and my first crash, when i overshot the next roller. Nothing too bad, only a twisted stem and some minor shin burger. I was beginning to get a little frustrated though, as of the jumps i was confident in hitting, all the landings were just a little too shallow to let me feel smooth w/ my rigid fork. I finally decided that i needed to hit a "real" double. Something with a gap at least the wide as my bike was long. After two roll ups and a half-assed casing, I did it clean. barely. It felt SO steep. and i almost botched it when my unforgiving front landing just a little before my rear. Lesson learned: I love my rigid fork for trails, and suspension might be less "pure" and allow you get away with being slopier, but I'm ALL sloppy now, so i'm probably goig to do myself a favor and ride with some boing until i grow some skills.

now on to the pics!

the entrance

looking up the medium line

the huge jump at the end of the large line (about 8-9' from the lowest point to the lip)

my first double

and a larger shot w/ the bike

oh, and special thanks to Msisle Dad for pointing me in the right direction.

Msisle Dad

Monkey
Jul 1, 2003
Catonsville, MD
did you hit any complete lines? they are soo much fun
you really have to ride the jumps like spines, meaning you pull
up and back so you go up not out,
we should hook up for a ride soon

Morgan

whale

Monkey
Apr 23, 2004
Silver Spring, MD
hey, could one of you guys (msisle_dad or endtroducing, i sent you PMs) PM me directions to this place? have shovel, will work for jumping :)

i might try to stop by for a bit on sunday on my way up around baltimore.

thanks.

whale

Monkey
Apr 23, 2004
Silver Spring, MD
Msisle Dad said:
if any of you guys wanna come on saturday,
i'll be there at 5:30-6:00 and ride for a bit

Morgan
can't make it today... about to head out the door for some DHing at sherando. i'll try to stop by there tomorrow around 10-11am for a bit.