Quantcast

Jackshaft bike aside from BMW??

vitox

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Santiago du Chili
clifcat and balfa made jackshaft bikes, there are more in europe too.
i think theyre called the holeshot and nouvau riche respectively.

oh and do a search for devinci big bang

rbx

Monkey
vitox said:
clifcat and balfa made jackshaft bikes, there are more in europe too.
i think theyre called the holeshot and nouvau riche respectively.

oh and do a search for devinci big bang
Checking clifcat website i think they dont make jackshaft bike anymore
Also looking for frames still in production,the gack seems ok, oh well seems that i am going to have to go with the BMW(not that is bad far from it but the price!!..ouch)

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
all the jackshaft bikes were super expensive. the Gack is a cheaper version of the BMW but still a lot. the Clifcat weighed more then i care to post, and had something like 10-11inch of travel. get a bmw. i enjoy mine.

sikocycles

Turbo Monkey
Feb 14, 2002
CT
Once you add in the cranks,bb and the guide. The bike in not that much more than other things

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
rbx said:
Checking clifcat website i think they dont make jackshaft bike anymore
Also looking for frames still in production,the gack seems ok, oh well seems that i am going to have to go with the BMW(not that is bad far from it but the price!!..ouch)
Clifcat can still make them they're special ordered.

I remember talking to Bill (Clifcat owner) about it a few years ago and he said to save weight he would sometimes put a pulley at the pivot to simulate a jackshaft. He said it felt just as good.

rbx

Monkey
ChrisRobin said:
Clifcat can still make them they're special ordered.

I remember talking to Bill (Clifcat owner) about it a few years ago and he said to save weight he would sometimes put a pulley at the pivot to simulate a jackshaft. He said it felt just as good.
I keep reading and hearing that bikes with pulleys like balfas dont pedal well not because of bad suspension design,but of friction created by the pulley.

I maybe way off

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
rbx said:
I keep reading and hearing that bikes with pulleys like balfas dont pedal well not because of bad suspension design,but of friction created by the pulley.

I maybe way off
I don't see how there could be much less friction with a true jackshaft frame: You have your main bottom bracket at the bottom where your cranks are, with a chain driving the other chainring attached to the pivot (on the Clifcat bikes it was a second Profile bottom bracket in the pivot), which drives the chainring on the other side of the frame which drives the rear wheel.

I may be way off too.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
rbx said:
Totally forgot about the GT-It1 ok i think my problem is solved:) thanks for the help guys!
Hold on a sec...apparently there's been some e-rumours and e-speculation going around saying they're having trouble with the Nexus hub.

rbx

Monkey
ChrisRobin said:
Hold on a sec...apparently there's been some e-rumours and e-speculation going around saying they're having trouble with the Nexus hub.
Weird the last i heard from a thread on RM is that GT worked with shimano and solved the problem..but i am still confused??

Ostie de Gt ils le sortiront jamais leur bike!

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
rbx said:
Weird the last i heard from a thread on RM is that GT worked with shimano and solved the problem..but i am still confused??

Ostie de Gt ils le sortiront jamais leur bike!
I missed that part about Shimano fixing their problem.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
so shimano fixed their problem. doesn't change the fact that the GT has 19" chainstays.
i don't feel any of this tension on the right side or left side of my BMW, i could feel it on the balfa though, but can't feel it on the canfield.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
A Nucleon owner posts in the thread and no mention of the Nucleon...?

A kiwi posts and no mention of Lahar??

MD

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
MikeD said:

MD

Ahhh...that's because the Nucleon ST isn't a 100% true jackshaft bike.

The Nucleon TST is just way expensive right now.

ChrisRobin

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Vancouver
MikeD said:
The Nucleon ST doesn't have the Rolhoff hub in the pivot. It's just ahead of it. There's almost no chainstretch but there is still some...so that why I have to run that Rohloff tensioner.

The Nucleon TST does have the gear hub in the pivot so it could be seen as a jackshaft system...unless I'm missing something.

Percy

Monkey
May 2, 2005
Christchurch NZ
MikeD said:

MD
Well the Lahar isnt really a jackshaft bike! Which is what the thread is all aboot.

They are well tasty though laddie! :thumb:

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Percy said:
Well the Lahar isnt really a jackshaft bike! Which is what the thread is all aboot.

They are well tasty though laddie! :thumb:
Where's the Rohloff mounted, then? Right at the crank or something? I thought it used a primary/secondary drive configuration...my bad...

Ed: I guess it has to have a primary/secondary if it's got a rohloff...just that they're not arranged in a jackshaft layout.

MD