Quantcast

Jamie Goldmans Cables for DJ'ing

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
So i dont know if anyone has seen Jamie Goldmans bike in person (I did recently) but he is running a really long red housing that combines his deraiure and break cables...Cam MCCaul is doing the same thing...

It is so they can pull of bar spins and tailwhips without causing a ton of damage to the cables...Does anyone know what type of tubing they are using? I would really like to get some for my dj bike...Thanks guys...

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
Cedric runs it too. You can use an industrial plumbing or piping hose if you like. I have seen it many a time at the home depot. Electrical tape works well too. I personally use a few zip ties and the cables stay together really well and tidily.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
bballe336 said:
Cedric runs it too. You can use an industrial plumbing or piping hose if you like. I have seen it many a time at the home depot. Electrical tape works well too. I personally use a few zip ties and the cables stay together really well and tidily.
ditto

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
bballe336 said:
I am thinking that is more what it is like...some type of hose...eitherway it seems like that is the way to get the job done...

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
manhattanprjkt83 said:
I am thinking that is more what it is like...some type of hose...eitherway it seems like that is the way to get the job done...
I feel that zip ties are the best. I use 5 zip ties and have a very snug fit. The two cables stay together well, and if for some reason they needed to bow out instead of breaking, the zip ties could slide over. Plus neon green zip tires are so bitchin'.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
bballe336 said:
I feel that zip ties are the best. I use 5 zip ties and have a very snug fit. The two cables stay together well, and if for some reason they needed to bow out instead of breaking, the zip ties could slide over. Plus neon green zip tires are so bitchin'.
noway man, they are real unclean, solid housing through the big hose is a much better meathod...Zip ties move, up and down...I run that set up now, im sick of it, they all end up at the lever...

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Transcend said:
I use that stuff on my chain stays, works like a charm, im sure that it would work great on my cables, but i was really looking to run a solid cable...Not sure why, just seems clean and smooth.

I went to homo depot and found some 10 ft vinyl cable that seems like it will be exactly what im looking for. Thanks for the suggestions, but i was really looking for a specific set up...If you see it in person, it is pretty slick...

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
manhattanprjkt83 said:
so the bars spin easy...:dead:
Does it really help? Why would having them separate affect their bar-spin-ability? It seems to me you could just run linear slick brake cable and regular shifter stuff and it'd be fine.

sama1ter

Monkey
Apr 29, 2004
The OC
manhattanprjkt83 said:
noway man, they are real unclean, solid housing through the big hose is a much better meathod...Zip ties move, up and down...I run that set up now, im sick of it, they all end up at the lever...

do you know how to make zip ties tight?

i used to run 2 zipties side by side, every 3-4" of the hosing on my old bike, and it was golden, and looked super clean too. but get that spiral stuff that Trancend posted, it'll work well

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
the Inbred said:
Fry's has the best selection i've seen, and is the only place i've seen more than 4" strips of it. might be some local place for you, or other websites.

http://shop2.outpost.com/search?cat=-45736&pType=pDisplay

http://shop2.outpost.com/search?cat=-45738&pType=pDisplay
cool i just ordered a couple lengths of both red and black, my bike has stupid amounts of black so i might go with the red on this one so i look like jamie :rolleyes:...

I about 100 % sure this is what those guys are running, thanks for all your help...I'll post pics once the bike is set up.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Bicyclist said:
Does it really help? Why would having them separate affect their bar-spin-ability? It seems to me you could just run linear slick brake cable and regular shifter stuff and it'd be fine.
just dont want to...i tried this before...

bballe336

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2005
MA
manhattanprjkt83 said:
I will post my setup later. It's very clean and tidy. And my zip ties don't slide if I don't want them to.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
there is a common problem in all of this: you are still using gears. my DJ bike is single speed w/ only a rear v brake. makes life much simpler, and the bike a good bit lighter (mine is sitting just over the 27 lb mark).

not trying to sound like a single speed elitist (i'm not), but for jumping i find it to be the best solution.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
jonKranked said:
there is a common problem in all of this: you are still using gears. my DJ bike is single speed w/ only a rear v brake. makes life much simpler, and the bike a good bit lighter (mine is sitting just over the 27 lb mark).

not trying to sound like a single speed elitist (i'm not), but for jumping i find it to be the best solution.
:stupid:

Spunger

Git yer dumb questions here
Feb 19, 2003
The funny thing is in those pics of the bikes & jumps is that they are using Hydro brakes. How's that work not only with hydro lines but shifter lines as well? You'd think in a situation like that single speed and cable brakes would be a must (even somehow setting up a gyro to work). But their bikes are pretty clean looking I'd give them that...

Is it just me or did anyone else notice the surf in the 3rd pic I think? I saw the waves and didn't even see the guy jumping on the bike :)

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
jonKranked said:

The common problem with that is that you are riding a bmx cruiser, i mean that is what it boils down to, i dont just dj with the bike, i use it for drops to trannys and stuff, i want to start tricking off some of the smaller drops, so i need to start thinking about a set up like this.

I dont see the point of a singlespeed with no gears, unless you are riding ONLY park...its just a bmx bike...But that is a whole other argument...

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Spunger said:
The funny thing is in those pics of the bikes & jumps is that they are using Hydro brakes. How's that work not only with hydro lines but shifter lines as well? You'd think in a situation like that single speed and cable brakes would be a must (even somehow setting up a gyro to work). But their bikes are pretty clean looking I'd give them that...

Is it just me or did anyone else notice the surf in the 3rd pic I think? I saw the waves and didn't even see the guy jumping on the bike :)
most of the guys running these types of set ups are on a fully gear'ed 2 brake set up. You run a bmx nut through the stem cap, and this set up for the back, it keeps the bike a mtb...:dead:

swerve76

Monkey
Aug 30, 2003
nevada
manhattanprjkt83 said:
most of the guys running these types of set ups are on a fully gear'ed 2 brake set up. You run a bmx nut through the stem cap, and this set up for the back, it keeps the bike a mtb...
Just curious, how does this bike fit in to the 2 brakes, geared, suspension fork mountain bike classification. It is a 5 speed with neutral gear, rear brake only, full suspension bike.
http://unrealcycles.com/gallery_view.php?view=331

Attachments

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
Hyrdo brake cables don't tighten up after a barspin, they have way more modulation than a cable disc, and if your rim is missing a handful of spokes and doesn't resemble anything round or straight, they won't be rubbing all kinds.

V's work alright, but them hydo discs sure are nice. Every cable disc I've tried to use (Avid's and Hayes') have locked up way too quickly, with very little modulation at slow speeds.

I want a hardtail again.

c2001

Paparazzi
Aug 10, 2001
where everyone is
Spunger said:
it was so sick that day! same day as maverick's contest. an awsome day seeing maverick's contest in the morning/day, then rolling by steamer lane to see monster sets roll through with only 3 people out because they were all watching mav's, then having jamie setup this cool spot w/ the ocean view and the waves be so organized!

back to the topic. brakes and gears are cool...so are freecoasters/neutral gears.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
©2001 said:
it was so sick that day! same day as maverick's contest. an awsome day seeing maverick's contest in the morning/day, then rolling by steamer lane to see monster sets roll through with only 3 people out because they were all watching mav's, then having jamie setup this cool spot w/ the ocean view and the waves be so organized!

back to the topic. brakes and gears are cool...so are freecoasters/neutral gears.
:thumb: AMEN.