Quantcast

jamming my howie in a duffle?

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
Yo,

So i am going to visit a buddy in austrailia in the next couple of months, definately not a 'riding' trip but a we want to take a bike to bum around sydney we will be staying downtown for over 2 weeks and ill go nuts without a bike to get to the beach...little street sesh in sydney each day would be nice...

so what are your experiences with getting a 26" dj bike like the howie into a duffle? Prob not up for taking the bike travel case on this one due to transport annoyances...if i can do it i will...

suggestions?

Zach Dank

Turbo Monkey
Jun 28, 2005
Gnarcal
All my homies fly accross the pond with their bikes in hockey bags, all the time.

And, every trip is a bike trip. Shredding down under has got to be sick.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
There was a movie, 2 Seconds, and this lady dher shows up at her brother's apartment with a big duffle. Inside is her GT LTS fully disassembled.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
yeah zach that is what im thinking...i agree that every trip is a bike trip...riding buddy and i are staying with an old friend that doesnt ride...but i gotta take the opportunity...

I'm thinking a hockey bag might be my only option...sucks if i have to buy a new bag but i can put all my clothes and junk in there as well...

anyone have any other suggestions on a bag?

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
you know brunge i thought i remember spangler saying that...hmmm i guess if the dimensions are above 26" wide it should be good...just deflate or remove the rubber.

Last edited:

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
i actually have a soft case its so big though...to big for a dj bike...and i dont want the hassle of the giant oversized luggage on a multi stop trans continent flight

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
Yeah, you might even think about splitting it up in 2 more normal sized bags that you could pick up for cheaper. Like wheels in one, frame and fork in the other, all packed in clothes and other gear so they don't get dinged up. What airline are you flying? Have you looked up their size/weight rules?

You might even be able to avoid the usual bike charge if you're smart.

don

Turbo Monkey
Nov 8, 2001
Rumson, NJ
Yeah, you might even think about splitting it up in 2 more normal sized bags that you could pick up for cheaper. Like wheels in one, frame and fork in the other, all packed in clothes and other gear so they don't get dinged up. What airline are you flying? Have you looked up their size/weight rules?

You might even be able to avoid the usual bike charge if you're smart.
I almost didn't get my hockey bag setup back from Cleveland/Ray's as they said it was too big. A seperate bag setup would be the way to get around some of the airline rules.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
that is actually a great idea, i dont need that much clothes so maybe a a wheel bag then a large duffle...hmmm

now you guys are thinking...I am flying US Airways in the US then to quintas from san fran to austrailia

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
yeah who knows with airlines now...i wonder if it would really screw you? They might just throw it on the plane if it is just a wheel bag and duffle

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
i got a bike on free once in a cardboard box. The asked what was in the box, i said "a frame" and did not elaborate. Slapped a fragile sticker on it and everything.

WaveDude

Chimp
Sep 7, 2001
TX
Bikes don't fly free evar that I know of--especially these days. In AU, if the inspection guys find out you have a bike they'll probably want to wash the dirt off the tires for Mad Cow prevention.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
yeah the only way to fly a bike free is to put it in a bag...that is why im trying to do that haha...

It's not so much just the cost, i need to be mobile, my buddy doesnt have a car so i will be jumping on buses and trains or whatever with the bag i dont want to have a giant case to carry around.

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Just use 2 bags. I got a BMX + 9 months of clotes/stuff over easy in normal suitcases. Carry on the small heavy stuff like pedals in your backpack.