(Trailwork schedule to follow soon)

Come Ride With Us!
Don’t Miss the Chance to Share the Greatest Mountain
Bike Trails in America!
Pisgah Area SORBA and Blue Ridge Bike Club
Sunday Trail Rides
Each week these rides will be fully guided. Beginners are enthusiastically
encouraged to participate. Experienced cyclists will have their own guided
group. The rides will last between 2 and 5 hours depending on skill level.
Except for blizzards or hurricanes, the rides will be held without fail.
PLEASE ride a Maintained, Fat Tire Mountain Bike.
The area is blessed with many excellent bike shops
that will be ecstatic to fit you for riding.
Make use of their expertise!

Winter Hours; Rides Gather at 10:45 and Roll at 11:00
January 2007 Schedule:
Jan. 7 – Davidson River Ranger Station – Riding a combination of Black
Mountain, Thrift Cove, North Slope, Clawhammer, Maxwell, Avery Creek,
Buckhorn Gap and More.
Jan. 14 – Fish Hatchery off SR 276 – Meet at the Hatchery Parking Lot –
Riding a combination of Cove Creek, Daniel Ridge, Long Branch, Butter
Gap, Picklesimer Fields, Cat Gap and More.
Jan. 21 – Trace Ridge Trailhead – Riding a combination of Wash Creek,
Bear Branch, Middle Fork, Spencer Branch, Spencer Gap, Trace Ridge,
Fletcher Creek, Never Ending Road and More.
Jan. 28 – Bent Creek – Meet at Rice Pinnacle Parking Lot and Ride an Epic
35 miles (or a smaller portion) of Asheville’s home course. Pack a Lunch!
For More Info Call: Mike Hiers 828-492-0203
or email at cyclingaddict@gmail.com
http://www.blueridgebicycleclub.org
http://www.pisgahareasorba.org

:clapping:

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Each week these rides will be fully guided. Beginners are enthusiastically
encouraged to participate.Jan. 7 – Davidson River Ranger Station – Riding a combination of Black
Mountain, Thrift Cove, North Slope, Clawhammer, Maxwell, Avery Creek,
Buckhorn Gap and More.

Woo Beginners?

Is there a shuttle option? :lighten:

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
A shuttle option at a SORBA ride in Pisgah National Forrest? Flippin brilliant dude! That's a great way to piss off the Rangers. Why didn't I think of it. Also you should never be to cool to ride with a beginner. We were all beginners once. Don't forget that.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
A shuttle option at a SORBA ride in Pisgah National Forrest? Flippin brilliant dude! That's a great way to piss off the Rangers. Why didn't I think of it. Also you should never be to cool to ride with a beginner. We were all beginners once. Don't forget that.
Hahaha. beginners SUCK the living life out of a ride. That's why I never bring new people up and show them around (in large groups), or help my local mtb club teach clinics. Oh wait yes I do. :pirate2:

I was commenting on the ride described sounds a lot like the typical "Clawhammer ride" which isn't exactly a beginner friendly, unless they are very fit.

Or maybe I was just trying to stir the Shuttling/Pisgah pot, its been a while. Where is Biggins? :shocked:

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
My first ride in Pisgah and in the Mountains back in 96 was Clawhammer to Maxwell Cove to Black Mt. Lets just say I walked 3/4s of it. My friends that had also just got into riding with me quit riding after that ride.

Funny people are taking beginners up there.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
You guys are missing the jist.

When you meet at the trailhead, you break up into VARIOUS SKILL LEVELS! Beginners are welcome to meet at Black Mtn. Thrift Cove and Sycamore Cove are both right there and short enough loops.

Also, going up Clawhammer and taking the right to the midway of Black Mtn is a good one for relative newbies.

That clarify? Stop the slapfest. :D

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
It is one great ride if you have the man power to get to the top. I have done that ride countless times in my life. Just did it 2 weeks ago. I would loe to run Black Mt. on a DH bike one day, just don't want to slug it up there.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I, too, have been the victim of a Clawhammer deathmarch...turned out to be a great ride, but the climb sucked and went on forever.
skip through MTBR's NC forum for a good laugh. There are so many people who actually do Black Mtn backwards b/c they don't ask anyone how....you think your ride sucked. I just can't imagine the comedy of pedaling and pushing all the way up it to find a dirt road waiting for you as your descent...:disgust1:

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
skip through MTBR's NC forum for a good laugh. There are so many people who actually do Black Mtn backwards b/c they don't ask anyone how....you think your ride sucked. I just can't imagine the comedy of pedaling and pushing all the way up it to find a dirt road waiting for you as your descent...:disgust1:
I climbed all the way up it one time and turned around and came back down it. I wanted to see if the climb up sucked as bad as the gravel road.

My scientific conclusion is that it sucked x 3.475 more.

BillT

Monkey
considering the ages old love of that route for hikers camping along that whole ridge line, you'd have a better chance of getting all hiking banned in National Forests than that.
Just joking around :)

Its actually a great route, but the climb is tedious as hell...espcially when you are as out of shape as I am. I hope to do it again one day.

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Its probably less the bike and more my general attitude towards climbing. Ill try to make it out there one of those dates, but dont make fun of me if i have to get off and hike-a-bike.
Dude, I do that sometimes too. I only have a 34 chain ring up front. Soon to change, I don't need to kill my knee again by wearing it out pushing a big gear.