Quantcast

Japan lurkers come and play in Nikko

velocipedist

Lubrication Sensei
Jul 11, 2006
Rainbow City Alabama
Nikko Japan Autumn Shuttle Days

Shout out to any and all All mountain / DH riders in the Kanto area. Tentatively planning two shuttle days for November 8-9 (Sun,Mon) in Nikko (North Western Tochigi Prefecture, about 100 km north of Tokyo).

The Boshin Trail is in the Kirifuri Kogen (Misty Mountain Highlands) near scenic Nikko famous for its temples and shrines and tasty grub. Super D ish type trail with about 1000' of descent for a 30 min + runs. This historic trail was used by The Edo Bakufu to retreat from the advancing Meiji Government during the Boshin War (1868-69). Great variety of terrain in one trail, come enjoy the Autumnal colors and some sick singletrack.

2,800 Yen gets you 2 shuttles per day and 1 beer per day (nama) total of 4 shuttles 2 beers. I am currently negotiating pricing for campsites for those with tents or a log cabins, will update when I have confirmed price. For the adventurous we can provide additional shuttles on this trail or others for a reasonable fee. I need a minimum of 4 riders to make this a reality.

Questions or comments are greatly appreciated, and the dates are fluid if there is a preferred time let me know. Feel free to pm or email at your leisure.

Lets get in some sick riding before the crappy winter starts.:monkey:

Kirifuri Freeride

kirifurifreeride@gmail.com

velocipedist

Lubrication Sensei
Jul 11, 2006
Rainbow City Alabama
I got prices for camping:

Tent site: 1,500 Yen per person (Bring your own tent) Curry dinner additional 1,050 Yen
Log cabin sleeps 4: 4,200 per person includes dinner.

If I can get turn out for this first time, I think I can do better prices next time.

Anyone who is interested in only riding please pm or post up, I can set up shuttle dates specifically for you.

And I realize its short notice too, but I could move this to Halloween weekend Sat, Sun if those dates work better for people.

Lets ride!

KirifuriFreeride@gmail.com

velocipedist

Lubrication Sensei
Jul 11, 2006
Rainbow City Alabama
I personally am quite a ways further north than Gifu, hit me up next you are coming over and I can do some digging about riding in that area. I know there is some sick bouldering, so I would think there might be some nice trails too. Never a bad idea to hit up the hiking trails on a weekday or be super friendly to the hikers on the weekend. There is a general misconception that the trails are off limit to bikes, which is wrong.

They do tend to have stupid trail design of going straight up steep slopes with stairs, but every once and awhile you can find some sweet trails. The other day I found a nice 5 km downhill on swoopy flowing singletrack. Nikko is pretty famous for its history, make a family trip out of it and I can show you the goods.

velocipedist

Lubrication Sensei
Jul 11, 2006
Rainbow City Alabama
Fujimi Panorama in Nagano is the premier lift assist location, 4 trails with some variations, average top to bottom runs are 15 - 20 minutes.

Other than the Panorama there are a lot of smaller mountains that run shuttle trucks, they average 500 yen per shuttle with 3 - 5 minute runs. I run shuttle trucks with my buddies, we do 1000 yen 1 run or 1800 yen all day runs. I have 2-3 40 min + trails I shuttle on, and a smattering of earn your turn rides that are damn fun. I'll shoot some video when I get a chance to give you and idea of the riding. Had a monkey jump tree to tree 6 feet in front of me across the trail the other day. Lots of days more monkeys than people on the trails. :monkey:

Nikko is in North western tochigi, about 80 miles north of Tokyo. One of the more famous areas with a shrine (Toshogu) commemorating the Edo (Tokugawa) era. Nice hot springs and great food, well worth a visit.

Last edited:

velocipedist

Lubrication Sensei
Jul 11, 2006
Rainbow City Alabama
I'm not too familiar with Gifu, but I found this lift assisted resort that has 8 trails with 4 different cross overs, for 12 different variations. They are only open on Sat/Sun, and I can't find their exact season schedule on their website. They are probably the easiest for you to access next time you are in Japan.

http://winghills.net/green/mtb/course/

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
killer, thanks for the info. we havent decided when we are going back there, but when i do know, im sure ill have some more questions. ive always wanted to ride out there and see what the riding scene is like there too