Quantcast

Japanese Gulch concern

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
Just forwarding from another frequent user.

Apparently you guys are pretty busy in there and are converting an older main trail on the North side to a DH line. There was some concern about the XC folks as well as the dog walkers, trail runners, etc using the same trail that they are used to in there and perhaps getting "surprised". Apparently, there's also a jump built across the entire trail that isn't climbable now for the XC types too. (It is a common climbing trail...) Maybe a passing lane for the climbers in there at that point will promote getting along a little better. :monkeydance:

Muddy Beast, you seem like a pretty reasonable kid, so I hope you guys are thinking about this.

BTW: I believe that the trail in question was called, "Boys to Men" when it was originally built.

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
we (muddy beast and co.) have been doing a little work in there but this does not sound like the trails we are working on. So far we have only been reviving/enhancing existing fr/dh lines that were overgrown to the point walking down them was painful (stinging nettles). however, we are not the only ones doing work in the area. When I was there yesterday there was a fair amount of work that had been done in another section that I was not aware of until i found it. We will be sure not to interrupt current trails and will always keep coexistence as out highest priority.

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
The work that is being done is being done by some other locals like my self, only they are less reasonable then myself...so dont play with what they have going, they'll quite litterally fight you.

I'm not 100% sure what trail you're talking about, but I have a good idea. And for the most part, I'm going to say, leave w/e is built be and find another way around it if possible. Problem is, the freeride guys like myself have to built all new stuff because it gets torn down. And the XC guys still have tons of trails, just some better then others, and also have easier ways to make new trails, since all it really requires is a little clearing versus moving dirt. Where I'm going with this is...people tear down our stunts all the time because they feel it gets in the way of their trails, but what they dont think is re-routing the XC trails is much easier then stunts...as there are fewer areas that are appropriate for jumps and drops to be made, compared to how much land there is to make XC trails.

Basically...I cant say I know what your talking about since my bikes broken, I'm in stiches, and I'm working full time for the next week...but once school starts, I'll be out on the trails almost everyday. If you can, please take photos of every area you're having trouble with, and I'll see what I can do to make a compramise. (As I litterally know, and have been on, every trail back there numberous times)

I know there are 3 other freeride groups (groups of kids/adults) that are building back there...and its on a first come first serve basis, but if the "elders" (the original local kids, guys a few years older then me, who built most of the goods) dont like it, they'll change it or tear it down. And its much the same for myself (Muddy beast and co.) if I dont like something back there, I'll change it myself to what I like...because I've grown up on the trails, and ride them more then most. Fact is though, if anyone wants something done on the trails, they can do it...so dont feel like you cant go back with a shovel, just dont tear down the popular things (this is when "Muddy beast and co." comes in handy...because we/I know whats popular and what isnt).

Again, take a photo of the problem areas, and I'll see what I can do in about 2 weeks.

P.S. If you got the name correct, the boys to men jump has never changed, and has always been there...I havent seen any new ones built there in years.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Maybe i'll go down there and beat some freerider punk ass...

not really...

Many of the original "freeride" trails were built with easy outs. And alot of times you don't have to make them that easy. And in my opinion sometimes that's better.

Reasons are to reduce conflict with people that don't want to huck.

Also you want to bring people in to riding, but they aren't ready to huck they can still ride some of the stuff but not die on a line where it's all commit or eat $hit.

The argument that there are tons of XC trails is B.S.. XC riders can ride on multi-user trails that are built for more than just bikers so XC doesn't really have a biker only trail either....
Plus fighting someone who's XC is probably really dumb. Alot of those guys have strong lungs they'll just dance around til you tire out and then beat you down when you're all winded, haha.

Mt. bikers shouldn't fight over something like this where someone can likely spend frikkin 15 minutes or a couple hours making a go around. But if you give attitude then other people are going to tear it out, and it might be a trail runner, or dog walker, and not a mt. biker....

Muddy beast tell the hard cores to come down to Colonnade and help build the advanced section that's starting up in a few weeks. Everything will be built to Whistler standards, you can learn how to really trail build. Hands on experience, that will someday get all you guys legit freeride. i've been repeating myself here like this for years now....

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
I hear you Skookum, but I'm willing to bet they wont. The "X-core" guys are not willing to coopoerate is the problem, its either their way, or the high-way. Although, we should remember they want a way to the other goods just like the XC'ers want to be able to ride, and because of that, I cant possibly think of any trail were their isnt a way around...trick is sometimes you have to actually get off your bike (I know...what a concept).

But yeah, I dont want to fight with either groups, I'm all for cooperation with everyone...its just a matter of convincing everyone else.

fattirerider

Chimp
Jul 17, 2006
PNW
I've also been working on it. I was trying to keep the trail having the same feel it had when it was originally built. I added a couple of small berms to stop riders ending up in the bush and built some support where a section was crubleing away.

I have seen the work you guys have been doing and you need to do some reasearch on how to build before you jump right in on a trail like this. The berms under the sand pit are nice but cutting into the hill side vertically like that to add more width to the trail is just going to fall apart and reverse any kind of work you do.

Don't add jumps of tech features on this trail. This is the main trail on the north side and is used by all kinds of people and this will just piss people off and no ne will be allowed in there.

Trail maintence is great but make sure it is multi users freindly going up and down.

Eric

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
I've also been working on it. I was trying to keep the trail having the same feel it had when it was originally built. I added a couple of small berms to stop riders ending up in the bush and built some support where a section was crubleing away.

I have seen the work you guys have been doing and you need to do some reasearch on how to build before you jump right in on a trail like this. The berms under the sand pit are nice but cutting into the hill side vertically like that to add more width to the trail is just going to fall apart and reverse any kind of work you do.

Don't add jumps of tech features on this trail. This is the main trail on the north side and is used by all kinds of people and this will just piss people off and no ne will be allowed in there.

Trail maintence is great but make sure it is multi users freindly going up and down.

Eric
not us, we are building way above the sand pit

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005

Eric
Definatly not us, as Stephen said. Where we're building, its very unlikely you will ever find it unless someone like myself shows you, or you wonder all of the trails.

That stuff has been there since I was on a BMX bike *When I was little* and it hasnt changed much...except some groms maintain it once in awhile.

fattirerider

Chimp
Jul 17, 2006
PNW
Oh good I was hoping you had more sence than that. This is right as the trail drops back in the woods above all the sand pits.

I;m thinking your stuff is up by the old djs. I checked out the gapper and some step on to step off a ladder. If it yours think about longer transitions and bigger run ins and outs. I noticed that might help but other wise cool ideas for a small space.

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
yeah the stuff at the old DJs are what we're making...and we know its all super quick, but we like it that way, and we worked with what was previously there and what not. An example of that would be the would step down, it was made by someone else and we just chopped it to be shorter and made it a much smaller lip, the orignal maker made it with a huge lip (like 3feet taller then it is now, near vertical at the top) so we remade it.

fuzzycatnuts

Monkey
Dec 14, 2005
Just wondering who owns this land, if the trials are not "legal" nobody can really control who builds what, you just have to hope that other people have respect for what has already been built and other users. Sounds like muddy beast and friends have that in mind when building.

The part about h-core guys beating people up if they touch there stuff is just silly, do they have someone watching in the bushs 24-7? If the cops got involved it would be the end of it. Like skookem said its not the wild west.

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
Just wondering who owns this land, if the trials are not "legal" nobody can really control who builds what, you just have to hope that other people have respect for what has already been built and other users. Sounds like muddy beast and friends have that in mind when building.

The part about h-core guys beating people up if they touch there stuff is just silly, do they have someone watching in the bushs 24-7? If the cops got involved it would be the end of it. Like skookem said its not the wild west.
Yeah well the hardcore guys beating people up isnt realistic, because they never see them, but from what I hear they chased some dude away with a shovel...but I have no idea.

And the land ownership is like 10 different people/groups. Boeing, the state, and private owners basically. Lucky for us, the land is to unstable to build on...so we have yet to see anyone touch it.