Quantcast

Jared Graves injured - out for worlds; Kirkaldie retires

DylanDeanDesign

Turbo Monkey
Dec 10, 2004
San Diego area, California USA
A little bit of news since things are slow here in Brian Head.
(Not sure if it's been mentioned since i haven't had great internet service here)

JARED GRAVES broke his thumb & scaphoid at whistler
"I got bucked off a drop on a-line, I know the worlds track is a whole lot of steep doubles you have to scrub, so I was practicing a-line on the hardtail, all was going great, then had one of those moments where it all goes wrong and you have no idea why."

you can read more about it on Farkin.net

Also, JOHN KIRKALDIE is set to retire at the end of the 2006 Season. I'm shooting out a PR for him within the next day or two, but here's a few words from him.

"I've had a great number of season racing around the world & believe it's a good time to end my career. I'd rather go out while i'm still on top, rather than searching for a ride. I'd also like to get a chance to relax at home & figure out what to do with the rest of my life. I love racing, but it gets hard & tiresome living half of the year on the road...it's gonna be nice just to relax at home. I'd like to thank all the fans & all of my sponsors for their support."

DIRTWRKS

Monkey
Aug 13, 2003
Canada EH !
Wow , my son did the excat same thing at Whistler. After taking third place at the National DH race in the under 17 expert category, he decided to go ride A-Line with out any armor and practice his no-handers etc.
After about his 6th or 7th run down he got sent over the bars on one of the high speed jumps. He broke his scaphoid on one hand and fractured his elbow on other. He was relegated to a spectator for the remainder of Crankworks and the rest of his racing season is in now up in the air as well.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Some of the jumps up there (mostly A-line) can be too lippey (sp) in my opinion for the speed that you carry. Like a 4 foot tall 4 foot long table with a DJ like take off @ 30mph....welcome to buck-ville.

The scaphoid fracture sux, mine required a screw and 3+ months w/o use.

Good luck Jared!

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
DIRTWRKS said:
Wow , my son did the excat same thing at Whistler. After taking third place at the National DH race in the under 17 expert category, he decided to go ride A-Line with out any armor and practice his no-handers etc.
After about his 6th or 7th run down he got sent over the bars on one of the high speed jumps. He broke his scaphoid on one hand and fractured his elbow on other. He was relegated to a spectator for the remainder of Crankworks and the rest of his racing season is in now up in the air as well.

As someone with the same injury who rushed back, take my advice. TAKE YOUR TIME COMING BACK JAMES. It isn't worth rushing it. I now need a brace and lost about 20% mobility and it hurts much of the time.

bikerpunk98199

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2005
the hood
man that really sucks! broke a chunk of my growth plate in my wrist off 4 weeks ago and am getting the cast of on wens. i got off lucky

DS Dom

Monkey
Nov 14, 2001
Denver, Co
Geez, I guess that was the week of the scaphoid up at whistler. I broke mine last monday (day after crankworx) up at whistler.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Wow - it seemed like Kirkaldie was around forever. Glad to see he has decided to step down while still on top.

Sucks to hear about Graves - scaphoid injuries really suck from what I've heard.

Dom - sorry to hear about your scaphoid problem - heal up well, but like Transcend said - "Take Your Time".:) See you, Marc and the rest of the guys at Domination #3.

sharkdh

Monkey
Feb 12, 2006
in the area
Pin that scaphoid up asafp.
The longer you delay surgery the greater the % of "non-union".
If you dont get surgery now you'll rebreak that thing again one day while high fiving your buddy.
That particular injury does not heal on its own. ever.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Sorta sad to see Kirkaldie retire. The guy is an animal in the bike and he's a funny fokker too, the scene will be a little less interesting without him.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
sharkdh said:
Pin that scaphoid up asafp.
The longer you delay surgery the greater the % of "non-union".
If you dont get surgery now you'll rebreak that thing again one day while high fiving your buddy.
That particular injury does not heal on its own. ever.
Really? You should tell my wrist that.

Percy

Monkey
May 2, 2005
Christchurch NZ
Zark said:
Sorta sad to see Kirkaldie retire. The guy is an animal in the bike and he's a funny fokker too, the scene will be a little less interesting without him.
Totally agree.

He's a good bugger as we Kiwi's say.:cool:

Heath Sherratt

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
In a healthy tension
Kirkaldie is one of my favorite riders. Fast, aggressive, fierce, funny, friendly, f, f, f, I'm glad he was around while I was around. Blessings to the rest of your life John! Rock oN!

W4S

Turbo Monkey
Mar 2, 2004
Back in Hell A, b1thces
Downhillers don't retire, they just race less! :) I'm sure JK will still be racing in events, but I wonder if he'll still live in the US?

I saw Graves after his wreck on A-line, I did a double-take when I passed him, he looked pretty knackered. Glad to hear he's not more seriously injured, he's one of my favorite riders.

BC VAN

Monkey
May 4, 2005
W4S said:
Downhillers don't retire, they just race less! :) I'm sure JK will still be racing in events, but I wonder if he'll still live in the US?

I saw Graves after his wreck on A-line, I did a double-take when I passed him, he looked pretty knackered. Glad to hear he's not more seriously injured, he's one of my favorite riders.

JK told me in Brian Head he was done...going to go home and live a regular life and be a general contractor.
He said he could have never dreamed to have as many years and as much success as he did.
He truly appreciates all that he has recieved and the experience's he has had from MTB.
I'm sure he'll do some local riding and be involved in some capicity but very minimal it sounded like.
Also told me that worlds in his home country for his last race couldn't be more fitting.

COME ON JK GET ON THE BOX!

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
BC VAN said:
JK told me in Brian Head he was done...going to go home and live a regular life and be a general contractor.
He said he could have never dreamed to have as many years and as much success as he did.
He truly appreciates all that he has recieved and the experience's he has had from MTB.
I'm sure he'll do some local riding and be involved in some capicity but very minimal it sounded like.
Also told me that worlds in his home country for his last race couldn't be more fitting.

COME ON JK GET ON THE BOX!
You better be looking down on him from the top step if that's the case!:love:

tmx

aka chromegoddess
Mar 16, 2003
Portland
Wishing you a World's podium back home Mr. Kirkaldie. You will be greatly missed at the races both on and off the track. Best wishes for continued success in all you pursue.

From just one of your bazillion fans,
Terry

(Okay, could someone just get that mssg to John for me please? Thanks.)

Motoking16

Monkey
May 16, 2005
Bend, OR
I finished my last whistler ride with a run down a-line and followed the yeti guys down, Graves' crash was knar. Total freak accident.... Good luck to him and hopefully he heals up quick!