Java Newz: A cup of coffee a day keeps the doctor away

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Mmmmm.....coffee.. :drool:

What apples? A cup of coffee a day keeps the doctor away
ANI | August 29 2005

WASHINGTON: If you are addicted to coffee, and doctors warn you to quit the habit, don't worry, and just keep relishing the beverage, because it's not that bad after all!

Infact, according to a new study, the steaming cup of java even beat fruits and vegetables as the primary source of antioxidants.

The study by University of Scranton states that coffee is the number one source of antioxidants in American diet, and both caffeinated and decaf versions appear to provide similar antioxidant levels.

"Americans get more of their antioxidants from coffee than any other dietary source. Nothing else comes close," said study's lead researcher Dr. Joe Vinson, adding that high antioxidant levels in foods and beverages don't necessarily translate into levels found in the body.

Antioxidants in general have been linked to a number of potential health benefits, including protection against heart disease and cancer, but Vinson said that their benefits ultimately depend on how they are absorbed and utilized in the body.

The researchers analyzed the antioxidant content of more than 100 different food items, including vegetables, fruits, nuts, spices, oils and common beverages. The data was compared to an existing US Department of Agriculture database on the contribution of each type of food item to the average estimated US per capita consumption.

The results were surprising. Coffee came out on top, on the combined basis of both antioxidants per serving size and frequency of consumption. It outranked popular antioxidant sources like, tea, milk, chocolate and cranberries.

Of all the foods and beverages studied, dates actually have the most antioxidants of all based solely on serving size, but since dates are not consumed at anywhere near the level of coffee, the drink comes as the top source of antioxidants, said Vinson.

Besides keeping you alert and awake, coffee has been linked to an increasing number of potential health benefits, including protection against liver and colon cancer, type 2 diabetes, and Parkinson's disease, according to some recently published studies.

The researchers, however, advice that one should consume coffee in moderation, because it can make you jittery and cause stomach pains.

"One to two cups a day appear to be beneficial. If you don't like coffee, consider drinking black tea, which is the second most consumed antioxidant source in the U.S. diet," Vinson said.

"Unfortunately, consumers are still not eating enough fruits and vegetables, which are better for you from an overall nutritional point of view due to their higher content of vitamins, minerals and fiber," he added.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Anybody ever notice that old people always order coffee with thier food?

I've been noticing it a lot lately. They order coffee with a grill cheese or a big mac... it's odd...
My grandpa was that way.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
stosh said:

I've been noticing it a lot lately. They order coffee with a grill cheese or a big mac... it's odd...
My grandpa was that way.
ive been known to order iced coffee with lunch.. is that so bad??????

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
I Are Baboon said:
No, it's like O'Douls. At least Bud Light still has alcohol in it.
OK, but why drink decaf in the first place. What's the use of drinking coffee if you don't get the caffeine. Weird. :confused:

bluebug32

Asshat
Jan 14, 2005
Floating down the Hudson
I'm enjoying some right now....

I was reading something else about this and it seems like yes, it's high in antioxidents but only compared to the top foods we consume, meaning that Americans don't consume many fruits and veggies (which are naturally high in Antiox.). They just compared coffee to the average foods Americans consume. For example, I think one of the top veggies were potatos, which aren't too high in nutrition to begin with.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
N8 said:
True, however, O'Douls has far more actual beer flavor, body and richness than Bud Light...

Why the hell do you know what O'douls tastes like? Were you some where that you needed to off-set the metrosexual content of your pink Izod shirt or something, so you grabbed an O'douls to try to look cool?

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Mtb_Rob_FL said:
Why the hell do you know what O'douls tastes like? Were you some where that you needed to off-set the metrosexual content of your pink Izod shirt or something, so you grabbed an O'douls to try to look cool?

I've happily consumed it when the other choice was Bud Light... :dead:

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
stosh said:

My grandpa was that way.
i drink it with food.

more evidence that there is a 70 year old jewish man trapped in my body.

I drink coffee all day but not past 6pm...so i can sleep at night. But yeah, coffee goes well with all food if you ask me & makes an even better after dinner drink.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
TN said:
more evidence that there is a 70 year old jewish man trapped in my body.

I drink coffee all day but not past 6pm...so i can sleep at night. But yeah, coffee goes well with all food if you ask me & makes an even better after dinner drink.
:stupid: I generally order water with dinner and coffee afterward. Especially with a good dessert.

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
bluebug32 said:
I'm enjoying some right now....

I was reading something else about this and it seems like yes, it's high in antioxidents but only compared to the top foods we consume, meaning that Americans don't consume many fruits and veggies (which are naturally high in Antiox.). They just compared coffee to the average foods Americans consume. For example, I think one of the top veggies were potatos, which aren't too high in nutrition to begin with.
:stupid: I couldn't have said that better myself. All the more reason why I like bananas and green tea. Booyah!