Quantcast

Javier Gomez wins again

Oct 20, 2009
<p>After a great win at the Dextro Energy WCS event in Hamburg, Germany a week ago, Specialized Pro Javier Gomez stepped up to the plate again and rocked to another superb win in London, England. This time defeating last year’s series champion Alistair Brownlee, his younger brother Jonathan and the Beijing Olympic champion Jan Frodeno at the Dextro Energy World Championship Series round 5. </p><p>
</p><p>
A very solid swim put Javier in perfect position with all the other contenders as the men rolled through the 40 k bike segment. A few attempts were made to break up the pack, but nothing really stuck. Towards the end seven guys managed to sneak away and they reached T2 with a 15 second lead.</p><p>
</p><p>
Javier started the run with both Brownlees and Frodeno hot on his heels and it didn’t take these four athletes too long to catch the seven athletes ahead of them. After Javier put in a few surges Frodeno started to lose contact with the others. Jonathan Brownlee was next to succumb to Javier’s pressure, but Alistair Brownlee hung tough despite no longer looking too fresh.</p><p>
</p><p>
At 400 meters to go it still looked like Alistair Brownlee might give Javier a big fight for the win, but the young Brit unraveled hard and staggered to a tenth place finish about a minute behind Javier. </p><p>
</p><p>
“I wanted to make sure I had a chance to win so the final lap I decided to go as fast as I can,” said Javier after the race. “I was not sure I could do it, but I thought it was now or never and went after it like Hamburg.” </p><p>
</p><p>
With this win Javier is now in second place in the 2010 Dextro Energy series with only one regular event in Austria, and the series final in Hungary left to go. </p><p>
</p><p>
Dextro Energy World Championship Series Round 5 </p><p>
London, England / July 25, 2010 </p><p>
swim 1.5k / bike 40k / run 10k </p><p>
</p><p>
Top 5 men </p><p>
</p><p>
1. Javier Gomez (ESP) 1:42:08 </p><p>
2. Jonathan Brownlee (GBR) 1:42:14 </p><p>
3. Jan Frodeno (GBR) 1:42:30 </p><p>
4. Alexander Brukhankov (RUS) 1:42:44 </p><p>
5. Mario Mola (ESP) 1:42:46</p><p>