Votes: 2 4.0%
  • Feed them the fatties!

Votes: 33 66.0%

• Total voters

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Shark attacks are hardly unheard of in Australia and I don't know if two fatalities in a year means a call for Robert Shaw is in order but there is some evidence that attacks are becoming more frequent. First though some background:
http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/recent-fatal-shark-attacks-in-australia/story-e6frg12c-1226129552664
September 4, 2011: Man in his 20s killed while bodyboarding with friends at Bunker Bay, near Dunsborough, in Western Australia.
This is my home town, where my folks live. These two are from the next town along;
August 17, 2010: A 31-year-old man died from serious injuries after a shark attacked him while he was surfing near Gracetown in Western Australia's south-west.
July 10, 2004: Brad Smith, 29, attacked by two sharks, believed to be a great white and a large bronze whaler, as he surfed near Gracetown in Western Australia's south-west.
So obviously there's a big debate going on about "what should be done". My first reaction is nothing should be done, we're in the ocean we know the risks, anyway it's more dangerous driving to the beach etc. But people don't always react logically to such things especially with the gore factor associated with this last one. Obviously you get a few in the US every year, what do you guys do, if anything?

zdubyadubya

Turbo Monkey
Apr 13, 2008
Ellicott City, MD
So obviously there's a big debate going on about "what should be done".
gawd people are stupid (not you VB). wtf? "what should be done?" nothing dickwads. its their water; if you want to swim/surf then be prepared to have someone get eatin every now and then. its like with the wolf thing in the NW. ranchers are pissed off that they lose a few cattle every now and then when they are the ones that are running their herds in wolf territory. people piss me off. :rant:

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Shire president= mayor (of Amity)
The search continued today for the shark as Busselton shire president Ian Stubbs called for it to be found and killed.

“I am aware that a lot of people have mixed feelings about this sort of thing given it was the shark’s territory,” Mr Stubbs said.

“But my personal point of view is that it should be hunted down and killed because if it has attacked a human there is a risk that it will do it again.”

“If the shark is active in the Bunker Bay area and there is a likelihood that any surfer or swimmer could be attacked then we have got to do everything to prevent that occurring.”
Richard Dreyfuss also makes an appearance.
Fisheries Department shark research scientist Rory McAuley said the shark hazard policy for all Government departments stated that a shark could be killed only if it posed an immediate threat to people.

Given that local beaches had been closed, there wouldn't be people in the water facing danger, and 24 hours after the attack the shark could be anywhere, he said.

“There's no policy to hunt down a shark that may have killed someone and how we'd go about identifying a shark if we happened upon it today, I don't know because there could be any number of sharks in the area.

“As a scientist who's been out catching sharks for 15 years, I'd say that catching a shark, even if that policy is enacted, can be a trickier exercise than a lot of people would like to believe.”
http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/-/wa/10185327/search-for-great-white-after-surfer-killed/
I'm taking my youngest boy with me when I go back home over Christmas, his eyes just about popped out of his head when I told him about this. I told him not to worry, sharks don't eat Japanese people cos they taste funny.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
Why find and kill the shark?
It didn't finish the fella off so it obviously found humans a ****ty snack and probably is less likely than before to have a go at one of the aussies.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
How about a middle ground.
Save the surfers by chumming the break with Chinese.
When those soulless ****s stop eating shark fin soup the chumming will cease.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
[/thread]
Chumming with Westerners like Australians would be far more efficient in aiding the planet since we consume far more resources than the East.

Western culture's excessive consumption of cattle and related products is far worse than shark finning (worse than even the automobile sector). Not to mention cattle are sacred animals to the Hindi.

UN.org said:
When emissions from land use and land use change are included, the livestock sector accounts for 9 per cent of CO2 deriving from human-related activities, but produces a much larger share of even more harmful greenhouse gases. It generates 65 per cent of human-related nitrous oxide, which has 296 times the Global Warming Potential (GWP) of CO2. Most of this comes from manure.

And it accounts for respectively 37 per cent of all human-induced methane (23 times as warming as CO2), which is largely produced by the digestive system of ruminants, and 64 per cent of ammonia, which contributes significantly to acid rain.

With increased prosperity, people are consuming more meat and dairy products every year, the report notes. Global meat production is projected to more than double from 229 million tonnes in 1999/2001 to 465 million tonnes in 2050, while milk output is set to climb from 580 to 1043 million tonnes.

The global livestock sector is growing faster than any other agricultural sub-sector. It provides livelihoods to about 1.3 billion people and contributes about 40 per cent to global agricultural output. For many poor farmers in developing countries livestock are also a source of renewable energy for draft and an essential source of organic fertilizer for their crops.

Livestock now use 30 per cent of the earth’s entire land surface, mostly permanent pasture but also including 33 per cent of the global arable land used to producing feed for livestock, the report notes. As forests are cleared to create new pastures, it is a major driver of deforestation, especially in Latin America where, for example, some 70 per cent of former forests in the Amazon have been turned over to grazing.

At the same time herds cause wide-scale land degradation, with about 20 per cent of pastures considered degraded through overgrazing, compaction and erosion. This figure is even higher in the drylands where inappropriate policies and inadequate livestock management contribute to advancing desertification.

The livestock business is among the most damaging sectors to the earth’s increasingly scarce water resources, contributing among other things to water pollution from animal wastes, antibiotics and hormones, chemicals from tanneries, fertilizers and the pesticides used to spray feed crops.
EWG said:
EWG Report
Americans’ appetite for meat and dairy – billions of pounds a year from billions of animals – takes a toll on our health, the environment, climate and animal welfare. Producing all this meat and dairy requires large amounts of pesticides, chemical fertilizer, fuel, feed and water. It also generates greenhouse gases and large amounts of toxic manure and wastewater that pollute groundwater, rivers, streams and, ultimately, the ocean. In addition, eating large quantities of beef and processed meats increases your exposure to toxins and is linked to higher rates of health problems, including heart disease, cancer and obesity.

U.S. meat consumption has held steady for the past several years, but Americans consume 60 per cent more than Europeans (FAO 2009) and the global appetite for meat is exploding. From 1971 to 2010, worldwide production of meat tripled to around 600 billion pounds while global population grew by just 81 percent (US Census Bureau, International Data Base). At this rate, production will double by 2050 to approximately 1.2 trillion pounds of meat per year, requiring more water, land, fuel, pesticides and fertilizer and causing significant damage to the planet and global health (Elam 2006).

Last edited:

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
How about a middle ground.
Save the surfers by chumming the break with Chinese.
When those soulless ****s stop eating shark fin soup the chumming will cease.
It has been suggested that one of the reasons that attacks seem to be becoming more frequent is that because of overfishing sharks are venturing closer to shore to feed.
If you wanted to have great white shark-fin soup you'd need a big f*cken bowl. The Japanese also eat shark-fin soup, you can chum with them. Start with my family if you like.......

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
There's been some suggestion that fur seal poulations are growing rapidly as they, like great-whites, are a protected species and that this growing population is attracting the sharks. An obvious solution is to cull the seals apparently.
Little known fact time. Some of the first contact between Australians and Americans was through the hunting of seals and whales. Growing up we learnt at school about John Boyle O'Reilly, an Irish political prisoner transported to Western Australia who escaped with the help of an American whaler.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Boyle_O'Reilly

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
An update of sorts. This is the main beach of my hometown, I've swam there countless times, it's where we had our high school beach carnival. Obviously can't know for sure but there's speculation it's the same one that killed the surfer.
A BUSSELTON beach has again been closed this afternoon after a shark was spotted about 500m offshore.

The shark was reported at 2.10pm by a person walking along the Busselton Jetty, who said the animal was about four metres in length and swimming over sand weed.

The Department of Fisheries said the beach has been closed and authorities are inspecting the Geographe Bay waters but are yet to sight the shark.

It is not clear whether it was the same shark that was reported by a group fishing off the jetty yesterday.
http://www.perthnow.com.au/news/western-australia/busselton-shark-has-taste-for-crab/story-e6frg14u-1226142988551
Was chatting about this with my boys and we decided the best course of action was to watch JAWS again. Still awesome, one of those movies where it doesn't matter how many times you've watched it.

Last edited:

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
How can they be sure it is the same shark?? Short of killing and slicing it open to find Billy Bobs wristwatch in its gizzard and all. If it hasnt been caught before, recorded and tagged, you will never know for sure, right?

Geez, just avoid the water for awhile...the shark is the bad ass of the sea...I hope a giant squid shows up to fight it.

BikeMike

Monkey
Feb 24, 2006
Deep Blue Sea.

Probability of being chomped is low. Being in the water is more fun and probably safer than driving on the freeway.

In other (tangentially related) news: Two guys went bear hunting on the Montana/Idaho border, misidentified one, shot and wounded it, and trailed it into some bush where it killed one of the hunters. http://www.kxly.com/news/29208805/detail.html

BikeMike

Monkey
Feb 24, 2006
There's a group over in Melbourne working with shark antibodies on Alzheimer's disease...

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
I'm in Western Australia at the moment due to a family emergency and heard on the radio that a guy had gone missing. Coincidentally it was while I was driving on the road that goes along the beach where the big shark was seen two weeks ago (see 9/23 update in this thread). This guy has been actually eaten I think as there's still been no body found.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
In light of the 2yo girl story, I resubmit my chum the break with soulless chinese f^cks suggestion.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Now I know I did not grow up anywhere to be exposed to the ocean on any regular basis, but, if you swim 500 meters off shore shouldn't you expect to see / encounter / be eaten by a shark at any moment??

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Now I know I did not grow up anywhere to be exposed to the ocean on any regular basis, but, if you swim 500 meters off shore shouldn't you expect to see / encounter / be eaten by a shark at any moment??
Diving that far out you might see a shark, but probably not likely. Being eaten by one is very low odds. Plus if you're diving, you probably have a tank and can hide on the floor of the ocean for at least a while.

this sounds like the doing of a single shark who has found an easy meal source.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Maybe we can take up a collection and send Hello Kitty on an Australian beach get-away.
Funny you should say that.
Police released the victim's name this afternoon, George Thomas Wainwright, 32, from Texas in the US. He had been living in WA on a working visa for around six months.

Read more: Man dies in shark attack off Rottnest Island
And a nice pic of Rottnest Island, absolutely beautiful place, must see if you ever go to Perth.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Friends from work have been to Rottnest and have recommended it highly. It occupies a berth in my top 3 to-visit places. I mean, look at this thing:

Don't you just want to pick it up an hug it?

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
What the hell is that? I would die laughing if I saw that in the wild, it doesn't look smart enough to survive.