Quantcast

JBP's Old Ride

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
(For anyone around here who still remembers me...or recognizes JBP's awesomeness...)

How many of you realize that JBP hasn't always pedaled to where he's been?

Long ago on RM, when I was dreaming of motorcycles but really into mountain bikes, there was a thread about some motorcycles, and JPB posted a pic of the absolutely mind-blowing, rare, British bike he bought new in 1965.

It meant little to me at the time, knowing nothing. Long story short, I went through a long, transformative experience buying and rebuilding a Royal Enfield in India, and then re-rebuilding it in Africa. JBP observed this through a variety of means, and ultimately decided I'd be a worthy caretaker for his machine, a Matchless G15-CS.

Fitting for a then-future mountain biker, this was a British manufacturer's effort to create a factory-stock desert racer in the 60s...a massive engine evolved for the decidedly non-British American market stuffed into the smallest offroad frame they could, to do things unthinkable on the British Isles. John bought it new, and rode it a ton before ultimately doing a moderate restoration in the late 90s, then letting it sit. It was complete and running when parked, just suffering from the age that eroded a few things like the capacitor in the magneto.

I picked the bike up from JBP while on leave from Africa, then obtained the necessary familial approvals, and began the process of getting it on the road again. Many moves and personal complications stood in the way.

If you want to know the exact ins and outs, this is a good place to look; otherwise, know I had to get the magneto rebuilt and carbs resleeved, then opted to reversing the shift pattern to match my other Brit bike (they shift with right foot, but wanted both to end up as 1-down patterns) and replace the wet clutch with a full, belt-driven dry primary.

(I was a bicycle home mechanic before I got my Royal Enfield...now I'm half-decent with old Brit motorcycles, too!)

So sparing the gory mechanical details and intervening 5 years or so, now we're here:

The chance to own and ride this bike is amazing. It's a piece of history, both personal and automotive. JBP provided a wealth of original documents with it, which are as interesting as the bike to pore over. (And leak less oil, while being less fun to actually ride.)

Just thought I'd share.

I don't MTB like I used to, for many reasons, but will be out on the trail this Sunday and am looking forward to it! Moving to El Salvador in spring, and hoping to suss out good local trails there, too. I know there are big tours and stuff, but I anticipate finding things off the beaten path...

Also uncovered in the wealth of documents today, the best one:

Soon to be mailed home to JBP.

-Mike

Last edited:

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
And the engine pulls super-strong...can't believe the agility, either, even compared to my smaller thumper.

Drum brakes need some massaging still tho. :think:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Every motorcycle manufacturer is currently trying to make modern versions of these, and for good reason. Fun as hell.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
The near-completion comes at just the right time, too, as the daughter's now too big to ride behind me on the sort-of-solo-seat Enfield...

Last edited:

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
He gave me a 1989 Bridgestone MB-3. I ride it often. Its on the trainer now. I discovered it from a picture in his Garage also. He trusted me to further the legacy of this great bicycle. I am also honored to benefit because of his graciousness.

Last edited:

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
As much as i love bicylces. Damn it's good to see good motos get the love and recognition they deserve!!
I have been blessed with my association with Yamaha. I have a passion for their Sound Equipment, Musical Instruments, and Motorcycles. To me. There can not be a well more rounded company. God bless them....

I could about write a novel about the G15-CS. I had started out riding a BSA B40 350 in 1964; the next year, a fellow t-boned a car with it while I was fucking with his wife. I replaced the BSA with the Matchless. I was a nineteen year old clueless n00b riding with four other guys, one on a Bonneville, one on a Yamaha YDS3 (for its time, sort of the ancestor of the Kawasaki H1...), a guy on a Puch 250, and an artist/addict friend from the East Village who rode a Sportster decked out as a cafe racer.

Sometime in '65 I removed the lights, bolted on number plates, and rode the bike to a New England scrambles in upstate New York, where I finished second to last because the guy behind me was stuck in second gear on his Triumph.

Went into the Army in the fall of ''65, left the bike in Jersey. Wound up having my buddies ship it to me at Fort Bliss, rode it in the desert a lot, once going down and almost removing my thumb. There was a bar in northeast El Paso that we used to ride through with the bikes. One night Willie Logue and his Honda scrambler wound up under the pool table.

Got into political trouble at Fort Bliss, kicked out of my Nike Hercules Fire Control Systems class, lost my security clearance for not being willing to buy savings bonds to support what I regarded as a criminal war. Reassigned to Fort Eustis VA for harbor craft operator training, drove the bike back east, an adventure in itself, left the bike in Cambridge, Mass for the duration of my "service", which was mostly in Korea.

That's about 0.01% of the bike's history...

In high school a friend and I made and detonated a lot of bombs. I was into model railroading at the time and put a copper pipe bomb into a model building in my back yard and detonated it - reassembling pieces of the structure taught me a lot about forensic analysis of detonation sites.

One of our compounds was somewhat unstable and some exploded in a friend's locker in the high school. He neatly evaded problems by bitching loudly about someone putting a cherry bomb in his locker...

The Erie Lackawanna railroad went through town - there was a signaling device used by the railroads, essentially a quarter stick with an attached lead strap. They tended to lost them and we'd collect them. Three in a row strapped to a rail told an engineer trouble ahead, stop, and we stopped a few trains in that fashion.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
DMV is less delighted than all of us about this motorcycle. Argh.

I shall prevail!

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I evaded the DMV in question and have found a more willing partner...it brings me great satisfaction, but I do have a few weeks' wait in store before I am fully plated.

Now that I'm satisfied the thing runs like a(n old, British) top, I have the forks in the beginning of a teardown, which is something JBP has been advocating for since I got the bike. The design has some flaws which need correcting to eliminate harsh top-out and maybe improve the damping.

The internals on bikes like this are, at best, like an old Marzo Jr. T, with fixed-orifice pumping rods. On my Enfield's first ride, I said "I wouldn't ride this fork on a mountain bike!" So I used a cartridge damper emulator installed on top of the pumping rod to get some speed sensitive valving, but this style of fork doesn't allow for that. However, it is better than most of its contemporaries, and there's plenty of info on how to get them running best as possible.

Heading out to Target now to procure a ratchet strap I need to compress the thing a little so I can loosen the locknuts under the top caps...