Quantcast

Jedi built up! Weight 36.8lbs and Initial ride thoughts.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
First off Id like to say "thanks" to Chris and Lance for everything and the excitement they share for this bike, It's for a good reason! This bike RAILS!

OK I obviousley don't have alot of time on this frame but what is apparent from the initial slinging the leg over and riding is this thing is B@DA$$! It corners like its on rails (folded knobs on tires today by accident) and pedals out like a cat on crack! Its gone and you can feel the nimbleness of it, I have said before you need to get used to the cornering of the F1 and Im pretty outright honest about stuff good or bad, This thing comes out of a corner berm with aggression and easy to pedal. It pops when you crank down on the pedals right away and actually holds its pedaling really well which is something the f1 suffers from as well. The F1 is a awesome machine that I love and will keep for my freeriding and hucking but the Jedi F1 is my new race rig.
It lands as good as the original and the issues of pedaling and cornering have been corrected. Its the perfect bike IMO.

Weight from 3 scales puts it at under 37lbs ranging from 36.8/36.5 to the calibrated digital scale 36.9 (didnt get a pic, grocery lady got all excited I had a bike sitting on the calibrated scale. OOPS!) Its the scale in the other thread with the frame weight (with all the halls and stuff around it )

Roco WC Air: First thought were it was rigid and differnet feeling, then Ronnie at marz let some air out and helped me dial it in and it's super plush as well as feels almost like a coil even on drops. Ronnies feels identical to a coil, but then again his is broken in.
I did the stadium drop todaqy and bottomed so I upped the comp and a few clicks took care of that, If Im at a pedally course I will pump a few more pounds in the main chamber but almost everything else is 150 lbs in main 200 in res and its butter. Not too mentio Ronnie went over it inside and out before I left and helped dial it perfeclty within a few minutes.

Anywase I can still drop a couple of pounds and add a couple pending course. Obviousley I will run DH asings at gnar resorts but will ride my single plys like I almost always do.
Heres the final build:
Large Canfield Jedi
Marzocchi 888 WC (boxxer WC would drop almost 2 lbs)
King ti headset
Answer pro taper bars
Sunline 888 direct mount stem
formula bianco brakes
X9 shifter
X0 der
Middleburn cranks
Twenty6 pedals
E-13 36th ring
E-13 LG-1 white guide and guard
Marzocchi roco WC air shock (avy DHS with ti spring as back up)
I9 wheelset with 6.1's (drop 200g by going 5.1's)
Single ply kenda nevegals (add 760g 1.7lbs for DH casings)
XTR cassette
Hopey damper

Full side shot:

Drivetrain:

Weight:

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
sweet collection of wal-mart bikes in the background.
Yeah Jeff is a pack rat! Everything has the potential to be resold! Theres a gray mouse that resides in there somewhere we have been trying to lure him out to pick him off with the pellet gun. Alot of those in the background have richochet marks :D:D:D:D> This is also why the mouse is still alive, we suck at shooting.

dhmike

Turbo Monkey
Dec 20, 2006
Boise Idaho
you bastard ! you out did me and got it to weight less then my socom. nice ride though , she looks like it's ready to go kick some ass at the sea otter.

AlmostHeaven

Turbo Monkey
Jun 8, 2005
VIRGINIA
sick ride, but...

do you really need a steering damper? i mean, you're a big guy. do you honestly ride trails that throw you around THAT much?

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Hopeys eh, I'd completely forgotton about them. Never ridden one, must keep my eyes peeled and blag a ride next time I see one.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
So, if you were to compare the Jedi and the F1?
F1: reliable, trustworthy, confidence inspiring, solid, lands like it meant to do it no matter what hit it takes. It has your back on gnarly stuff.
Cornering is good as long as you muscle a bit but thats any sled style bike, pedaling has a 2 word secret to kame it happen "sit down". Do not try and pedal unless you holds your body weight over the bars and pedal.

Jedi: Same as 1st couple of lines up top but corners like its on rails, shorter chain stay so it ups the front at will (good feature) and pedals insanely easy standing or sitting. Its super easy to pop on the pedals and you feel it come alive like a trail bike.

Im keeping both, the f1 is my FR/huck/urban and sometimes DH race bike. I love this bike and will not part ways with it, it'ss stay till the aluminum disintegrates into dust :D.
The jedi is definently a race oriented DH bike that can be FR oriented if needed.
It has the good charecteristics of the F1 and elimintes any issues the f1 has.
Dont get me wrong I trust my F1 and its been the best bike to date, I know how to ride it and it ROCKS.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
ah. i've heard of it, but i'm from VA so...
i ran one for a short time and it helped some (@Snowshoe), but i just kind of found it unecessary after a while.
it was time to bulk up!
Yeah Im bulked up and not fat at 220lbs and 3 runs of tunnel will have your hands limp and arms feeling it. Just a little to take the micro twitching out makes a huge difference, do I need it "no" but does it help "yes".

al-irl

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
A, A
Sounds good. Get the boxxer wc and get the weight down you won't regret it. I just made the switch as it came on my sunn and being a big boxxer hater after destroying 3 pairs of teams in a season. I was amazed out how good they are. Leagues ahead of the 888 ata i ran for 3 months last year before killing them. The boxxer makes it even easier to pick up the front and change lines placing the front wheel exactly where you want it. Anyway sweet ride enjoy it.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
why not pull the "front derailleur" part of the lg1 and run the wheel in the right spot? the idler will take care of the rest...

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
Yeah Im bulked up and not fat at 220lbs and 3 runs of tunnel will have your hands limp and arms feeling it. Just a little to take the micro twitching out makes a huge difference, do I need it "no" but does it help "yes".
have you ever actually done 3 runs down tunnel in one day? that sounds bloody awful!

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
have you ever actually done 3 runs down tunnel in one day? that sounds bloody awful!
No, we warmed up on tunnel (couldnt find the CS pick up) then off to 3 more runs at cold springs. I can maybe hammer 2 definently but 3 is pushing it. 3rd run at CS and my hands gave out finally and I just let my body loft over the bars and laid in the rocks till I could make a fist to grab the bars again! :D

jamesdc

Monkey
May 6, 2007
go ride at northstar, or mammoth for a day. do 15 or so runs 3 days in a row, then complain
Thats fun, I cant wait for mammoth to open, at the end of my mammoth trip last year I had to actually peel my fingers off the bars because I couldn't move them

gonefirefightin

free wieners
karpiel at northstar is a great shakedown, I see japeneese tourists walking the line picking up coins, keys, MP3 players and all kinds of bike parts and crap that rattle off during your teeth chattering descent

I think a local unemployed dentist built that trail......

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
For a large that thing looks tiny. I thought it was a small at first glance, looks very cramped.

If the course's you ride are ruff enough to justify a hopey then why would you use single ply tyres?? Seems odd. Didn't you blow some of them out not long ago? Still persisting with them?

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
For a large that thing looks tiny. I thought it was a small at first glance, looks very cramped.

If the course's you ride are ruff enough to justify a hopey then why would you use single ply tyres?? Seems odd. Didn't you blow some of them out not long ago? Still persisting with them?
Blew 4 out this year so far including DH casings! I can swap wheelsets when needed I have 2 identical sets and I can turn the hopey off when not needed.
Pic makes it look small, its actually a good length WB and cockpit.
I ride singles 85% of the time and love them, I have a tendancy to blow out sidewalls or rip the center knobs clean off my tires wether it be DH casing or single.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Haaaaa I don't think it's the course that needs compensating for. If he hasn't figured out that Kendas of any kind are not real DH tires yet he probably never will.

I've always kinda liked Canfields but that bike looks steep as hell in the front end. I bet it would handle sketchy as crap at speed unless it sagged out 5" at least. I'd probably put a steering damper on it too.

Too bad though. With a slacked out head angle and drop those stupid rollers that frame could be pretty incredible.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Rennie is (or was) sponsored by Kenda and chose to race Maxxis with the logos sharpied out, probably on his own dollar or the teams dollar, which is still entirely his choice. I think if he can get away with racing them reliably, so can you.