Quantcast

Jeep Cherokee's?

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
I'm looking at older ('89-'95) Jeep Cherokee's and I know there are different 4 wheel drive options. My question is, what's the big deal with them, and would I care much? I don't know a whole lot about 4 wheeling, but I plan to put a 3" lift on whatever Jeep I get, and 32" tires. I want the jeep to be an "all around" SUV, so I can go 4wheeling with buddies (big bad 7" lifts with 37" tires), yet still drive around on the road and do my normal driving (to school, work, and ride spots).

So should I only look for a Cherokee with full time 4 wheel drive in addition to 2 wheel drive and locked (Nicer version). Or do you think I'll be happy with 2 wheel drive and 4 wheel locked options only (Cheaper version)?

Thanks.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
I didnt know they even made full time 4x4 cherokees, and I dont see what advantage of having that would be. Go with the 4X option, as Im sure it's much more common (cause Ive never heard of the other) and you dont want to be rolling big 32's on the road in 4 wheel drive...you might get about 6mpg that way.

Also, if you plan on 4 wheeling it, don't plan on also driving the thing on the road regularly. Or at least dont depend on it for that.

I miss my cherokee, actually. Good car.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
I didnt know they even made full time 4x4 cherokees, and I dont see what advantage of having that would be. Go with the 4X option, as Im sure it's much more common (cause Ive never heard of the other) and you dont want to be rolling big 32's on the road in 4 wheel drive...you might get about 6mpg that way.

Also, if you plan on 4 wheeling it, don't plan on also driving the thing on the road regularly. Or at least dont depend on it for that.

Yeah...it's all about the Command Trac, Selec trac, Quadra Trac etc.....

The Sports and Laredo's usually have the command. The Country's and Limiteds etc have Selec-Trac....the Selectrac is a kind of a full time. The Command is 2wd 4 lo 4 hi.

Jeep XJ's is another thing I should put in my "thing I know a lot about" thread......Between myself and my parents, we've had 4.

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
yeah we have 3 Jeeps in the family, 2 patriots ('07's) and a grand cherokee.

I really just want to know if I might want to have full time 4 wheel drive at any point (rain, snow?). And since I have no experience, and have only had 2 wheel drive cars (we all know how that worked out) I'd like to find out.

EDIT:

Well my friend has a V8 cherokee 7" lift and 37" tires and he said he gets 8MPG. So I figure I can live with the 16MPG my other friends who drive smaller XJ's get. But your right, I wont drive it a TON, I'm getting a road bike to commute.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
yeah we have 3 Jeeps in the family, 2 patriots ('07's) and a grand cherokee.

I really just want to know if I might want to have full time 4 wheel drive at any point (rain, snow?). And since I have no experience, and have only had 2 wheel drive cars (we all know how that worked out) I'd like to find out.
I thought you were a champion "drifter"....