Quantcast

Jeff

Trainwreck

Turbo Monkey
Aug 10, 2005
Med. to Well-Done in Phx
Jeff grew up with us and was in my class in high school. Jeff got picked on a lot. Jeff grew to immense proportions and God help anyone that picked on him after that. I remember one night in a bar when an argument ensued over a game of pool. A poor unfortunate broke a pool cue over Jeff's head. He turned around, laughed at the guy and beat him within an inch of his life in a matter of seconds. Jeff did have a hard head. When he worked for an implement company Jeff had a split rim wheel blow up and the metal ring struck him in the head. Anyone else would have been killed instantly. It just made Jeff meaner. Don't mess with Jeff. But to us his friends, he was always gold.

Jeff could also party like no one I have ever seen. A tox scan would probably have skewed the bell curve on human tolerances. One night in particular Jeff, another friend Jim and myself drove 90 miles to a summer beerfest in a small town back when excessive public drunkiness and driving were still fashionable. We rode with Jeff in his old Chrysler that had a sun roof. After many buckets of beer (I still have that bucket) we started for home. Jim was wisely buckled in the back seat. Jeff and I were sitting on the back of the seat mostly out of the sunroof. Howling at the moon. Jeff was driving with his feet and had a softball bat wedged into the gas pedal. We were traveling down a narrow two lane highway with a steep bank on either side at 85 mph. All I can say is that I am still here to relate the story to you. Jeff was also present for the demise of Jo Jo the gorilla, a night of infamy in our small town. In fact, I'm sure he pretty much single handedly instigated the start of the carnage which evolved into monumental proportions along with my disinheritance that evening. A brilliant story in itself but much too long to go into here.

Jeff was an excellent machinist. He could turn crankshafts to precision tolerances and was a sharp mechanic as well.

Jeff rode motorcycles. Jeff did things to and on motorcycles that baffled my imagination. He was probably the only person I have ever seen trials ride a full dresser Harley. God smiled on Jeff when he rode and undoubtedly in amusement.

I moved away many years ago and probably haven't seen Jeff for about 5 or 6 years now. This morning when Jim called and informed me of Jeff's passing I was quite surprised. But then again, maybe I wasn't. Jeff lived everyday to the fullest. I guess I'm surprised that he went so quietly. The news brought back these recollections that I haven't thought of in quite some time.

I'll keep these handy and you have a good journey my friend.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I undersatnd your pain, you will never for get him.

It's been just over a year since my friend Rob died and I still have a tough time with it. Just the other day I had the urge to drop by and see what he was up to for the weekend. Rob was only 38.