Quantcast

Jekyll 1000 vs Jekyll 800

MrCrash907

Chimp
Jan 26, 2004
El Bunny, California
Last weekend, I was able to ride a new Jekyll (either the 2000 or the 3000) at China Camp. I fell in love with it. For the type of riding I do, it just seemed perfect - something I could grow with as my skills continue to grow.

Any reason I should dish out the additional 800 or so dollars for a Jekyll 1000 over the Jekyll 800? Cannondale says there's a 2 lb difference, and I'm not big on the "dual purpose" shift / brake levers on the 1000.

Some stats:

Attachments

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
I think the largest differences will be the wheels and shocks. I have been pretty impressed with my manitou Minute so far. It has about 5 months on it so far and its working very well. So I would probably prefer the Swinger over the other Fox shock. I think with a good stable platform a lock out is un-needed. I have never used lockouts much anyway.

Not too sure about the rims but I think the better rim is a tubeless compatible one. Mavic seem to change the numbers on their stuff without actually changing the product. Fewer spokes though. If its well built though it will be plenty strong, but if you tend to damage rims frequently, a 32 hole rim will be much easier to get if you need to replace one.

The Isis bb. Well I have not been very impressed with any Isis bb's to date. They seem to have crappy bearings and short lives. Just my personal experience thus far. I rarely had issues with the old Shimano Octalink bb's.

If it were my money I would get the 1000. Better suspension components and I happen to like the dual control shifters. The ergonomics of dual control I find much better than anything else I have tried, and I have tried just about everything.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
I went back to see the specs. How about go for the cheaper one, and with the $800 saving, get a Thomson post, new XT cranks and bb and maybe a carbon bar? Just a thought.

Kornphlake

Turbo Monkey
Oct 8, 2002
Portland, OR
If you like the pedaling of a SPV shock it's money in the bank to get the 1000 because in the long run it'll cost more to upgrade the fox shock to a swinger or 5th air. I would actually like the bike for myself better if you could get the exact component spec on the 800 with the suspension of the 1000. I like the heavier components on the 800 because they'd be more durable compared to the 1000 that's meant to be more of a weight weenie type bike, like the gemini 1000 I'm not sure who would pay the money for something less funcitonal than the 900 and nearly as expensive as the 2000.

fork out the coin for the 1000. I work for a dealer in Canada, my second now. Yes its very glamorous, no autographs. Had a 2002 800. Yes its way ****tier than the new ones. Between the 2004 XT brakes are much better, fork obviously is better, rear shock, blah blah. Newer Hayes aren't what they used to be, going over seas. Profit obviously is more important.
Get rid of the Sram cassette and put a XT on. good to rip. Swap out the levers for a set of rapid fire XT and XT levers, I'm sure if its a decent shop they'll do all that ahead of time, before you use any of it. I can't say if it will cost you anything extra, they might give you credit for the reflectors. But you will have a damn fast singletrack bike, that will take anything. Just lock it up in your basement with a blanket over it, crackheads like Leftys. "had a 800" "had". enough said.