Quantcast

Jenson USA... FAIL!

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
I've snapped two Thomson brass bolts. One was on a 10' drop and I got lucky that my post let me off easy. One snapped on a small drop to flat, but it was prolly too tight.

I'll tell ya what I friggin did:

I marched straight the hell into the LBS and well, um, just ordered a couple more for backups.
Ridden Thomson posts for years. Have never snapped one of those bolts, they are pretty tough. These Truvativ bolts are really cheap aluminum. I bet if you smacked one with a hammer real good it would actually smash into a flat aluminum pancake. If the bolt were made out of brass or steel we wouldn't be having this conversation.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
you bought a product, used it for 20 days doing gawd-knows-what and it broke and you take issue with the guys who sold it to you? lame. call the company that makes the product if you want to rant at anyone and tell them of your woe and hope for sympathy and assistance.

fvking american B.S. sense of entitlement. nobody was born upon this earth the the inalienable right to get a refund for stuff they break in the course of life. companies offer a 30 refund policy as a benefit to you, not out of some divine law. get over it. buy another brand, but don't poo on the vendor, who probably has several sales of this product that never result in a complaint. it sounded like they were going to go through the process of helping you with a waranty claim, so why the beef? it isn't their fault you "need" to be in the upcoming race.

call up go-ride (everybody's LBS) and i doubt things would have been any different.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
ive been buying from Jenson for 8 or 9 years with 0 issues. ive had pretty good luck with their CS. they may not have the best prices all the time, but if and when they do, ill still buy from them.

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
I wanted to pay for the replacement (replace with different post obviously). Box up the broken one, send it back and get a refund on the faulty part product. Basically wanted the same service that they gave me for the crank. I wasn't asking for anything for free.

And P.S. I just dropped $1k with them less than a month ago. This is a $50 post we are talking about.
Guess what I would have done had you spent $1000 in my shop last month. :lighten:

It's hard to know who it is when they shop with a keyboard.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Thomsom makes a different mounting plate for the seatpost that allows more angular adjustment....but those are generally for really slack DH bikes. I hve never needed one on any of my bikes including several specific DH race frames..

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
I wanted to pay for the replacement (replace with different post obviously). Box up the broken one, send it back and get a refund on the faulty part product. Basically wanted the same service that they gave me for the crank. I wasn't asking for anything for free.

And P.S. I just dropped $1k with them less than a month ago. This is a $50 post we are talking about.
So, your capable of building your own bike, but you cant think far enough ahead to realize you can buy the bolt you needed for less than a dollar at most any hardware store?

I know you spent a grip with them, but seriously bro, you want a refund on a broken used OEM take off part? Is this what they actually did the first time? You broke the truvativ cranks, and they sold you a different brand and refunded the original? If so, consider yourself lucky on that part.

Reason they were able to pretty much destroy your LBS pricing..... OEM take off parts. You want quality parts, stop buying take off.

What truvativ cranks did you break?

I run Truvativ, and I have near a hundred pounds on you.... Funny how I never have had a problem with breaking them.

Seriously, If I were to be getting a call from the same person, with another broken part, which he installed himself, I would stop thinking warranty, and start thinking abuse/installer error.

Last edited:

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Jenson has the best customer service I have ever found, next to Go-Ride. Go buy a new seatpost for your race and send your broken one to Jenson to see if they will warranty it and be done. Get a better seatpost next time.

Austin Bike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Duh, Austin
This is the problem with this country. People want nordstrom service but pay wal-mart prices.

You have 2 choices in the world:

Buy on the internet. Get low prices and (generally) no tax. If something isn't right, expect to handle it via mail, extra shipping, more hassles. Basically you are taking the risk that something won't be wrong. But if you do find a problem, don't expect luxury service.

Buy local. Get better service, get better "time to benefit" (i.e. buy it now, use it now). If you have a problem, you can drive over there and get it resolved today. The downsides are generally a little higher price and generally smaller selection.

These are the two choices, you don't get to blend them. Figure out which is best for your needs and do it.

Plus, you should have bought a Thomson.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
Rather than start a new thread, I picked a random Jenson thread...

I just wanted to report that I ordered a new Raceface Atlas bash and dual ring set from them. They only provided the bash and no hardware.

I called them up and they told me to keep the bash, and they shipped a full new set overnight to Vancouver.

Although they did screw up in the first place, they certainly spared no expense nor hesitated to "make it right".

Just thought I'd share my cool story, bro.

Aug 23, 2011
Jenson charged me $38 on the web for shipping some tires..when it gets here they charge $25 more? What the hell is that I need to call them, second time this happend.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Rather than start a new thread, I picked a random Jenson thread...

I just wanted to report that I ordered a new Raceface Atlas bash and dual ring set from them. They only provided the bash and no hardware.

I called them up and they told me to keep the bash, and they shipped a full new set overnight to Vancouver.

Although they did screw up in the first place, they certainly spared no expense nor hesitated to "make it right".

Just thought I'd share my cool story, bro.
Thanks JerK!

Aug 23, 2011
Heh, probably a "hawaii tax" for making them load **** on a boat.
Yeah I might need to get something sent to you guys. (please) I'll grab it at sea otter k thx..well it depends how much I like Ardents. And no boat this time..the fork took like three and a half weeks to get here though!

IH8Rice....I see the title Jenson USA... Fail and felt this was a good time for me to explain my dislike of them charging $25 more then they quoted me for shipping.

Last edited:

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Funny, the cranks mentioned in this thread were the very same ones that RF just replaced for me.
So what I get from this responce, and this thread totalled together.....

You broke a set of truvativ cranks...... You broke a Truvativ seatbost bolt....... And add in the raceface thread and you have also broken a set of raceface cranks as well......

Think you need to get a torque wrench and start checking specs befor eyou tighten bolts anymore

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Jenson can bite me. I ordered a helmet, jacket and undershirt well before Thanksgiving. I received the jacket in mid December. The helmet and undershirt are still MIA. Customer service (Tara) says they "tried to contact me..." but could not tell me how (Phone, email, smoke signals, morse code...) and then tells me that the helmet I tried to order was out of stock. Although it said at order time all was well. I had to find another helmet, not an easy feat at Xmas time, and I still have no have no word on the undershirt, although it was red lined out on the order tracking section on the web site. Again, no explanation given. Tara was messaged again last week, and has yet reply. I have purchased alot of items from Jenson...on the web and at the stores. I am starting to lose faith in them...

sorry to raise the dead....

i bought a Niner frame for $549. order was shipped and now enroute. i received an email flyer saying that they were now selling the frame for $499. i called and requested a refund of the difference or store credit. they gave me $50 back, no hassle. not too shabby in my book.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
I have sworn off of Jenson. Although the situation I posted about ended fairly well, they placated me with a $20 gift card and I found a helmet eventually, the latest attempted purchase did not. I ordered over $250 of stuff, and was charged for shipping, which is supposed to be free with a purchase over $50...I message customer service and the guy tells me I am not eligible because I am at an APO address, which according to him is not a US address. I patiently explain to him that yes, it is a US address, because the APO office is in NY. He insists it is not...I insist it is, the whole thing is set up for military members to be able to use the postal service rates and avoid import taxes etc etc...and the USPS agrees with me, as does the last customer service person at Jenson and every other internet shop I have ever dealt with. Mind you I was looking at another $60 in shipping costs...so I eventually told him cancel the order, I will find another merchant. Then he says "Thank you for calling, will there be anything else I can do for you today?" After a momentary pause, during which approximately 4,743 responses flitted through my brain...NONE of which were even close to family friendly, I said "No, that will be all..." and hung up.

Months later I was looking for a Thomson stem in 25.4...web site says yeah, we got em...I try to order one and I get the "Sorry, this item is back ordered. We don't know when we will get them in again..." I message them and get the song and dance about its coming, we just don't know when...yeah whatever. A quick FB message to the Thomson folks and I learn they aren't making 25.4 anymore, only OS for the foreseeable future...apparently they forgot to tell Jenson.

I will not deal with them again. Ever. I will call Beyond Bikes before I call them, or Brad Hodges at Nemesis...

Last edited:

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
sorry to raise the dead....

i bought a Niner frame for $549. order was shipped and now enroute. i received an email flyer saying that they were now selling the frame for $499. i called and requested a refund of the difference or store credit. they gave me $50 back, no hassle. not too shabby in my book.
Freaking Price Point, where 'Price is the Point', now have a 15% sale on the Dorado I bought two weeks ago and they are giving me crap about refunding the difference.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Strongly considering that since the customer service guy on the phone said that was an option. Just seems rather pointless for a fork that I have in hand.

prestonDH

Chimp
Aug 8, 2013
Denver, CO & Dallas, TX
I bought from treefort some new $30 ODI lockon grips, only 1 screw for the 4 lockons was missing and absolutely NO way could treefort have been responsible for this because the screws packaging was factory sealed. I spoke with treefort and they said they would see what they could do with ODI and getting me a replacement screw. The following week I had a package arrive with a brand new set of lockon clamps just to replace the one screw.
Treefort went above and beyond what was necessary to please me as a customer and while they dont always have the best prices or widest selection (imo) I check their website first for what I am looking to purchase just because of the wonderful customer support I got. VERY rare to find that kind of service now a days.

daisycutter

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2006
New York City
Strongly considering that since the customer service guy on the phone said that was an option. Just seems rather pointless for a fork that I have in hand.
ON Price points site
120 Day Best Value Pledge
Providing the very best values is what we are all about. We pledge to not only give you the lowest price possible when you place your order, but we will keep that pledge for 120 days AFTER your date of purchase.

Please see our 120 Day Best Value Pledge for more information about price matching

You can purchase with confidence at Price Point, knowing that we pledge to provide you with the very best experience in the industry. With same-day shipping, easy returns and one of the longest-lasting price-protection promises available, shopping at Price Point is essentially risk free. So, why shop anywhere else?

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Yes, I pointed that out. Seems that applies to prices at other sites, not on previous purchases from them. I sent an e-mail that the CS guy said he would forward to management, so we'll see. But for a company that emphasizes price and all these guarantees so much, it's BS if you ask me. I'll see how this plays out.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Yes, I pointed that out. Seems that applies to prices at other sites, not on previous purchases from them. I sent an e-mail that the CS guy said he would forward to management, so we'll see. But for a company that emphasizes price and all these guarantees so much, it's BS if you ask me. I'll see how this plays out.
That it is for other sites only is not stated. Hence one could reasonably assume that it includes their site. You could argue that all the way to false advertising.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
It's not the end of the world if I don't get it, but for $150, I'm going to argue the case as much as possible. If they just screw me, I'll take my business elsewhere next time.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
No you won't.... ;)

We all say that, but especially for those of us in SoCal, when we see something there for 20% lower than cough thepath Cough... and we know that standard shipping gets it to us next day... We buy it from them.

Da Peach

Outwitted by a rodent
Jul 2, 2002
North Van
I always seem to gravitate toward pricepoint. They've got the shiz I need for a better price.

Perhaps it's just a coincidence.

(this keyboard sucks)

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
Not a fan of the Path. For some reason, they have a ton of fanbois, but their prices suck. If you aren't part of the circle of trust, they might knock 10% off msrp. Fantastic. I bought bnib XT brakes cheaper from Jenson than the Path had them priced as takeoffs.....

Last edited:

-BB-

Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
I'm w/ you on that one. I do almost ALL my own wrenching so I see no point in going to the Path. I used to use Steve at Garage Works for all my fork seals and rebuilds, but he is in Oceanside now.

-BB-

Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
I'm all about PricePoint... I know what I like and I don't buy stuff that often. If PG990 12-34 casettes are on sale for under $75 I buy a few. In fact I think I have 3 in my garage right now. Same on chains... I'm opportunistic. Just got new saint brakes for $170/side. Been using the same Gustav's for about 7 years now, so I think that a little upgrade is warranted. Still have old XT 4-pots on my 7point as well.

I guess my point is that I buy cheap BUT I don't expect anything if something breaks or I'm not happy. If I'm not happy then it is my fault, not theirs. Either bc I bought something I dind't know enough about, or bc I made a mistake riding/installing etc.

Last edited:

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I'm w/ you on that one. I do almost ALL my own wrenching so I see no point in going to the Path. I used to use Steve at Garage Works for all my fork seals and rebuilds, but he is in Oceanside now.
I have talked to Steve at GW and he seems like a super chill dude. I will definitely be taking my stuff to him when it needs it, even if he's in Oceanside. I probably need to get my CCDB rebuilt pretty soon here...