Quantcast

Jerbs.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
Just got a call from a big company.

Job offer, going good, sounds like he wants to hire me, asks how much.

I say what I make, he goes quiet, you got a really good deal, are you friends with the owner?

No, I am just really good at what I do.

He wouldn't say his offer cause it would be an insult.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
To their credit at least he did t try to talk you into taking the job for their shitty pay. Im unclear on what hiring managers think will happen when they’re offering half of what you make, but some try way too hard to talk you into taking it

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Just got a call from a big company.
Okay, let's explore how big. If it's big big, they're publicly traded and you can bring up their stock prices. Point to any random ass shit in the last 5 years and use it to your advantage. Look for news headlines of CEO overpay and anything specifically regarding their CEO.

Take the job if you want it, but by all means lay them over the table first. There are ways man...

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I took a huge cut when I moved to Ashland for a year. About 40%, I was making more than what my new manager made.

I enjoyed the work, got incredible experience but couldn't survive on what they were paying. I was like the 3rd person to leave over salary in a few weeks and they upped everyone's pay afterwards. Still not what I make in Portland, but still.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
I took a huge cut when I moved to Ashland for a year. About 40%, I was making more than what my new manager made.

I enjoyed the work, got incredible experience but couldn't survive on what they were paying. I was like the 3rd person to leave over salary in a few weeks and they upped everyone's pay afterwards. Still not what I make in Portland, but still.
But you have to live in Portland instead of Ashland! :eek: ;)
As a mountain biker, that is the difference between heaven and hell. :D

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
But you have to live in Portland instead of Ashland! :eek: ;)
As a mountain biker, that is the difference between heaven and hell. :D
At even 100% I could not afford to live in Ashland, I lived in Medford and drove to Ashland for work.

@Uncle Cliffy knows the hood I lived in. No lack of police activity, that's for sure. Ashland is nice, but you need to have a trust fund to live there because the pay scale is shit.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
To their credit at least he did t try to talk you into taking the job for their shitty pay. Im unclear on what hiring managers think will happen when they’re offering half of what you make, but some try way too hard to talk you into taking it
I had one of those a while back.

Let me get this straight. A lower position, lower pay by $20k, less vacation by a month, less flexibility, and more hours? What's the upside for me here? Until you have something that is better than all of those things, I'm not moving.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Shit, I get recruiters after me all the time to self-relocate to Gary, IN to work in a 2nd shift contract position as a stocker in a warehouse for $18-$20/hr, depending upon experience. Maybe I've got one of those "stockroom in a warehouse" type faces, but damn man, at least try a little when searching for candidates.

jimBOS

Chimp
Aug 15, 2009
Shit, I get recruiters after me all the time to self-relocate to Gary, IN to work in a 2nd shift contract position as a stocker in a warehouse for $18-$20/hr, depending upon experience. Maybe I've got one of those "stockroom in a warehouse" type faces, but damn man, at least try a little when searching for candidates.
And you don’t want a pay rise why???

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I got an e-mail from a recruiter looking for an experienced engineer for a local company starting at $20/hour. Said company is pretty much known as an engineering sweatshop for grinding people into dust. My neighborhood grocery store starts at $22.

Poops McDougal

moving to australia
May 30, 2007
Central California
I got an e-mail from a recruiter looking for an experienced engineer for a local company starting at $20/hour. Said company is pretty much known as an engineering sweatshop for grinding people into dust. My neighborhood grocery store starts at $22.
Just out of curiosity, what kind of engineering are you in?

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
I left my last jerb without anything lined up. I was having stress related health issues and constantly being re-assigned in my role. My family's business.

I figured I'd rather be homeless than eat their mental abuse. Money isn't everything but it's needed to pay the bills. Money doesn't keep your mind/body healthy though. Gotta have that balance!

Within two days of telling the fam I was pounding sand, a friend randomly called desperately looking for an employee/ trainee to take over his small company. His nephew has quit the day before.

Gotta trust the process!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Oh boy. I recently got a new director at work who has zero experience with our engineering discipline or in R&D. Thought that perhaps they are just really really smart. First meeting today and they pretty much sound like an SNL character of a rich teenager. I am guessing their qualification for the job has more to do with being a member of the right country club.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
I took a job for 40% under my last salary, no brand new company SUV.
Much less responsabilities, much less budget, much better work enviroment,
Zero stress, zero drama, 2 miles from home, leave 2 hours earlier than previous job, and work about 12hrs a week less.
I`d say its worth it so far.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I would happily take less money for a more interesting job, but everytime I go down that path it is a more interesting job with less money, more hours, more stress and inevitably a lot of business travel.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I would happily take less money for a more interesting job, but everytime I go down that path it is a more interesting job with less money, more hours, more stress and inevitably a lot of business travel.
Interesting jobs tend to quickly change to boring jobs, less money and more hours stay.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
While I'm not even close to being qualified for this, nor would I jive the location, the job sounds awesome.

Job Title – Vehicle Validation Engineer

Location – Auburn Hills, Michigan

TECHNICAL/FUNCTIONAL SKILLS

• Automotive Powertrain domain experience is must
  • Expertise in Vehicle and dSPACE Hardware in Loop (HIL) systems.
  • Experience with Vehicle Validation
  • Hands on experience in writing test procedures and scripts based on requirements
  • Knowledge of CANoe/CANalyzer, CAPL scripting.
  • Working Knowledge of MATLAB, Simulink, ETAS INCA
  • Python scripting
ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES

• Requirement Gathering from stakeholders
  • Understand the Hybrid vehicle functionality from the requirements document and test plan document.
  • Write the test cases for vehicle functionality and then test it on the HIL.
  • Responsible for Validation activities on HIL like script writing, execution, test report generation.
  • Interaction with stake holders for requirement understanding.
  • Excellent Communication and analytical Skills
As a QA Engineer, my title has sometimes been "validation engineer" so my resume gets hits like this. But I have zero CAN knowledge, so there is that. :rofl:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
While I'm not even close to being qualified for this, nor would I jive the location, the job sounds awesome.

As a QA Engineer, my title has sometimes been "validation engineer" so my resume gets hits like this. But I have zero CAN knowledge, so there is that. :rofl:
when i lived in socal a buddy / neighbor of mine that i rode with was a test engineer for honda powersports. his job was basically to test ride dirt bikes - all with slightly different specs / tunes - and determine which would be the production configuration. spent a lot of time out in the CA desert riding.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
when i lived in socal a buddy / neighbor of mine that i rode with was a test engineer for honda powersports. his job was basically to test ride dirt bikes - all with slightly different specs / tunes - and determine which would be the production configuration. spent a lot of time out in the CA desert riding.
thats a sweet job.
Almost as being a counterfeit eunuch working security for a harem.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Yeah, I only play with lasers. But I tried to get @ohio to let me beta test the redshift. I am still waiting on the Varg, but the OG Redshift is the industry standard.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
My best friend plays with the Lasers at the National Ignition Facility at Lawrence Livermore National Lab. He also sets up all the monitoring telemetry for when they make things go boom at area 300 or the really big big booms at White Sands NM.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Can confirm, never had an un-interesting job, but they've all gotten rather boring. I just try to entertain myself as best as I can with varying levels of success.
I spent the first half of my career chasing $$$ then the .com bubble changed all that. Since then my preference has been on something that adds value. This job was only supposed to last 6 weeks. :panic:

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
I spent the first half of my career chasing $$$ then the .com bubble changed all that.
Same, probably took a decade off my life working crazy OT trying to get every last dollar I could. For me it was the revelation that I kept making more money and kept being more and more unhappy, but was never going to be really rich anyway. Figured out what I need to make in order to live how I want to live, now the mission is to find a way to do the least amount of work possible to make that amount.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
I spent the first half of my career not having a career and fucking off. Pretty much spent the second half doing the same. My career has suffered. Which is fine. 'Cause careers suck. Life's too short for that shit.
i kind of miss walking dogs in castle rock for a living.....

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Same, probably took a decade off my life working crazy OT trying to get every last dollar I could. For me it was the revelation that I kept making more money and kept being more and more unhappy, but was never going to be really rich anyway. Figured out what I need to make in order to live how I want to live, now the mission is to find a way to do the least amount of work possible to make that amount.
I chased the $ and the titles for 15 years.
It only got me to a point where I got a C-suite job, was working 12 hours a day and saturdays and always worried about unemployment at the end of the quarter if results werent met. Basically just tired of living.
Once you reach upper management, you HAVE to be an asshole to people to extract maximum performance from humans.

Not worth wasting a life like that.
Capitalism can only be won if you own the means of production and are the one hiring/firing.

Last edited:

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Probably pays quite a bit better these days then when you were career'ing that stuff.
if you are

single...

not married...

no kids....

no cc debt...

living is cheap....

and two years of that were tax free....