Quantcast

Jersey over Armor ?

TurnerGrl

Monkey
Aug 20, 2002
Metrowest MA
Ok, going into my third season of riding at Diablo (hopefully to add more places and perhaps even *gasp* try racing) and wondering what set up y'all run.

First year I had a roost guard and used the Race Face arm/elbow for upper body protection. So (duh) wore a jersey underneath the roost guard.

Last year I picked up the 661 Pressure Suit since I couldn't afford Dainese :drool: It was hot as hell the days I was there and just wore a close wicking underlayer and the Pressure Suit over it. Have heard it said, however, that this may not offer as much protection as having another jersey over the Pressure Suit in terms of friction issues as I (hopefully don't) go sliding down the trail through rock gardens, etc.

Any thoughts? What do y'all use? And if my Pressure Suit is a medium what size moto/freeride jersey should I be looking for? I stopped in a moto shop yesterday and not surprisingly all of their offerings are long-sleezed (makes total and complete sense, but I figured it was worth the long shot). Just thinking that the armor is hot enough on summertime DH days, would prefer to find something short sleeve and DEFINITELY need guidance on sizing if I end up needing to order online.

Thanks for your input!

Jen

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
I always wear a jersey over my armor to try and prevent ripping it up. (I wear a medium Dainese). I will sometimes wear short sleeve jerseys though. Some men's L or XL xc jerseys fit comfortably over the armor. Long sleeve jerseys, men's L or M. Rockgardn does make some short sleeve DH jerseys which are very breathable

TurnerGrl

Monkey
Aug 20, 2002
Metrowest MA
narlus said:
dainese. why pinch pennies when it comes to personal protection? i got a set for my wife last year and she loves it.
i appreciate the thought Narlus but it doesn't quite help my current situation. the pennies were already pinched and thus far i've been happy enough with the protection it has provided - and it is certainly an upgrade from what was offered by the roost guard.

is Dainese the best? heck yeah - you won't hear any argument from me there. but i've got the Pressure Suit and just can't justify the extra expenditure when i've got what thus far has been perfectly good armor. perhaps if the past 6 months hadn't included purchasing my first house, a new vehicle, and massive vet bills for my black lab that became gravely ill in January then i might be able to swing it... :rolleyes:

until then, i will have to make do with what i've got! unless of course my dogs can get jobs and help out with the whole income thing! Or if I can find someone sweet enough to buy me the Dainese (and if so, p.s. I'd love a nice TLD helmet to go with it). Applications are being accepted! :D

GrapeApe79

Monkey
Sep 22, 2005
Issaquah, WA
TurnerGrl, I have the 661 Pro Pressure suit and it rocks. I think its very similiar in protection as the Dainiese, and its extremely flexible and breathable. You'll be just fine with the 661. My pressure suit is an XS and I wear a medium sized mens jersey over it. If its really hot, I've seen people not wearing a jersey over the top, but when you spend that much $$ on a suit, its nice to have a layer of protection over it. Also, for the record, I wear a little XC jersey under the pressure suit.

sunny

Grammar Civil Patrol
Jul 2, 2004
Sandy Eggo, CA
I wear a lycra/spandex sport top under the Dainese and always a jersey over it. I have a friend who wears a rash guard under his.

A jersey or shirt of some kind is good to keep mud, dirt, treebark, etc, out of the body armor fabric.

stephanie

Monkey
Dec 7, 2005
East County via East Coast
Usually, when racing, I go for the jersey over my Dainese (short or long sleeved depending on the temp). I'm not as worried about putting a hole in it as I am about overheating or being uncomfortable. I also wear a Nike/Adidas type long sports bra (comes down to my belly button) underneath.

For days when I'm just out riding and don't have to wear my team jersey, I like to keep it simple...a cotton t-shirt works like a charm. It keeps me a lot cooler than a short sleeved jersey. I also have a sleeveless jersey that I wear when it's really hot (but then that inevitably gives me the "leopard" tan from the holey armor)!

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
stephanie said:
(but then that inevitably gives me the "leopard" tan from the holey armor)!
Hehehe....we could have a whole thread on this topic alone I'm guessing. "What's the funkiest suntan design you've had?" I get the tan lines across the back of my calves quite frequently because I always seem to forget the sunblock there!

But my favorite are waffle patterned shoulders from taking a hard hit on the shoulders and having the armor design imprinted on me!

TurnerGrl

Monkey
Aug 20, 2002
Metrowest MA
Velocity Girl said:
Hehehe....we could have a whole thread on this topic alone I'm guessing. "What's the funkiest suntan design you've had?" I get the tan lines across the back of my calves quite frequently because I always seem to forget the sunblock there!QUOTE]

LMAOA

unless i manage to even it out with road rides, i definitely sport calf stripes during the season from my RF knee/shin armor!

stephanie

Monkey
Dec 7, 2005
East County via East Coast
i wear the 661 tomcat knee guards and shorty socks for dh. i have the most distinct tan line that starts about 4 inches below my knees. my students think it's really funny because my legs are half tan, half light (and i usually wear skirts so i can't hide it...and why would i want to?!)

but, the leopard spots that my dainese give me are by far the worst outcome of wearing it:) one day, after riding, i thought i had developed some sort of rash. i was LMAO when i figured out what it was from...my body armor.

Jan 7, 2004
D.C. area
Hey, Jen, I wear an UnderArmour shirt underneath a 661 pressure suit, then I keep it all together with a longsleeve jersey over that. The UnderArmour shirt wicks sweat well...
and the jersey not only keeps my armor less dirty, it also promotes my sponsors!

TurnerGrl

Monkey
Aug 20, 2002
Metrowest MA
Thanks for the advice all - I have several wicking base layers and have ordered some LS moto/DH jerseys. Some may have a few sleeves to be hacked off in the new future. If any of them turn out exceptionally sweet, I'll post pics!