Quantcast

Jesus being fat sucks...

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
So I finally went to the damn YMCA yesterday. I've never been a gym person, I'm fairly clueless on the whole thing, so I got the free guided tour of all the machines. (which is a good idea because I'm an over-zealous dumbass who would injure myself right quick...)

I guess the in-house coach thought I was a 6'4" weakling, because on every machine he would drop the weight down to almost the lowest setting before I tried it out. I kept trying to let him know that I'm not a gym rat but I've been schlepping heavy sh1t around my whole life. He was surprised at the amount of weight I could easily handle on most of the machines.

Now I just need to work out a schedule, and also work in some push ups, crunches, chin ups and some light running. Oh and spin classes. And fvck it....YOGA.

I mean I'm not getting any younger.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
So I finally went to the damn YMCA yesterday. I've never been a gym person, I'm fairly clueless on the whole thing, so I got the free guided tour of all the machines. (which is a good idea because I'm an over-zealous dumbass who would injure myself right quick...)

I guess the in-house coach thought I was a 6'4" weakling, because on every machine he would drop the weight down to almost the lowest setting before I tried it out. I kept trying to let him know that I'm not a gym rat but I've been schlepping heavy sh1t around my whole life. He was surprised at the amount of weight I could easily handle on most of the machines.

Now I just need to work out a schedule, and also work in some push ups, crunches, chin ups and some light running. Oh and spin classes. And fvck it....YOGA.

I mean I'm not getting any younger.
Lowest setting is probably a bit ridiculous but I would highly recommend starting well below what you can handle strength wise. After I hit 30 I need to lift for 6 months straight before I can hit my threshold without being incredibly sore for the following few days.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Lowest setting is probably a bit ridiculous but I would highly recommend starting well below what you can handle strength wise. After I hit 30 I need to lift for 6 months straight before I can hit my threshold without being incredibly sore for the following few days.
Agreed...... Start off well below what you can handle, and build form with your lifting for the few first weeks. It will keep you from getting hurt, and will help your workouts be more effective.

Oh and add the roman chair for your abs workout insstead of crunches. Sit on it face up for situps, face down for revers situps..... Your core will thank you

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Agreed...... Start off well below what you can handle, and build form with your lifting for the few first weeks. It will keep you from getting hurt, and will help your workouts be more effective.

Oh and add the roman chair for your abs workout insstead of crunches. Sit on it face up for situps, face down for revers situps..... Your core will thank you
Thanks for the tip.

I know to start out low, (I can't afford an injury) but home boy seemed to be doubting I could lift anything at all. At one point we was like, "Oh...wow...ok. But take it easy at first."

I'll be going for lower weight higher reps anyway, and a mix of cardio. I want to be in shape for touring, playing drums for 2 hours is like riding a bike with your arms doing most of the pedaling.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I always turned lifting into a cardio workout. Rest a muscle group between reps by hitting another muscle group. Saves time too.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Thanks for the tip.

I know to start out low, (I can't afford an injury) but home boy seemed to be doubting I could lift anything at all. At one point we was like, "Oh...wow...ok. But take it easy at first."

I'll be going for lower weight higher reps anyway, and a mix of cardio. I want to be in shape for touring, playing drums for 2 hours is like riding a bike with your arms doing most of the pedaling.
All trainers are like that on the freebie tour, just something ou deal with.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
DirtyMike, sorry to nitpipck here but a couple of the things you said are not quite "fact" and I can't really ignore it.

Fact...... It is less about what your eating and more about how much your eating. Eat what your craving or your still going to be hungry... IE if your craving a cheeseburger go get one..... Just cut it in half and start by throwing half of it away. Its all about total calories..... just gotta go and count them.
While reducing total calories WILL help you lose weight, the statement you make of "if your craving a cheeseburger go and get one" is asinine. FACT: you cannot out-train a bad diet. That means not only how MUCH you eat, but eating clean foods, and in the proper ratios for your goals (i.e. weight loss, building muscle, whatever). If you eat garbage, but just half of your normal amount, will you lose weight? Yes, probably, but it's simply not a sustainable method, so why start that way?

Oh yeah, there is one other thing I forgot that really helps ALOT.....

This is true no matter how you argue it.... but to burn the fat, STOP the caffene. No coffee, no sodas, no caffene. It mess's with your blood sugar levels, eat an apple in the morning instad of a cup of coffee, you will actually have mroe energy.
I don't think the caffeine is the problem, it's the sugar. Sugar messes with your body's blood sugar levels. Weird, right? Caffeine has actually been shown in studies to raise the body's thermogenic levels, increase metabolism, and potentially burn calories. I'm not saying to down a pot of espresso a day if you're trying to lose weight, just saying I don't believe caffeine to be the issue. Now... stay off the SODA? Oh H3LL yes... a cardinal rule I've always heard is "don't drink your calories" so staying away from soda, energy drinks, fancy coffees from Starbucks with sweeteners in them, and juices is key. Juice, even that which is made from 100% fruit juice, is loaded with calories which are predominantly sugar/carbs. So if losing weight is your goal, stay off of them. Caffeine though? Not as much, it's just that drinks with caffeine quite often ALSO contain carp-loads of sugar, and that's moar the issue.

boostindoubles said:
The key to losing weight is cardio. While lifting weights builds muscle, it doesn't necessarily drop pounds. Just converts fat ot muscle.
It's already been said here, several times by multiple people, and I get it: you're over it. You refuse to be wrong, or give in to what the rest of us know is correct, or whatever your deal is. But let me jump on the "pull your head out of your @ss" bandwagon and say: "Pull your head out of your @ss." IMHO, ANY person that makes the above statement about 'turning fat into muscle' clearly has no business giving fitness advice. Not to mention some of the other mis-informed statements you made, and then tried to back-pedal on. Good day, sir.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
While reducing total calories WILL help you lose weight, the statement you make of "if your craving a cheeseburger go and get one" is asinine. FACT: you cannot out-train a bad diet. That means not only how MUCH you eat, but eating clean foods, and in the proper ratios for your goals (i.e. weight loss, building muscle, whatever). If you eat garbage, but just half of your normal amount, will you lose weight? Yes, probably, but it's simply not a sustainable method, so why start that way?
two comments i'd like to make regarding this:

#1 - when it comes to eating healthy, be sure to find healthy foods you actually like and enjoy eating. Otherwise you're going to treat eating healthy like a "diet" and wind up back in your old habits.

#2 - It is OK to indulge in some of your favorite, if unhealthy, foods on occasion. Don't deny yourself the stuff you really like, but don't eat it on a regular basis anymore. Save it as a special treat or something along those lines.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
a cardinal rule I've always heard is "don't drink your calories" so staying away from soda, energy drinks, fancy coffees from Starbucks with sweeteners in them, and juices is key. Juice, even that which is made from 100% fruit juice, is loaded with calories which are predominantly sugar/carbs. So if losing weight is your goal, stay off of them. Caffeine though? Not as much, it's just that drinks with caffeine quite often ALSO contain carp-loads of sugar, and that's moar the issue.
i like to drink some extra calories in the form of beer. but limit it because i know that they beers by and large have a ton of calories (at least the ones I enjoy. eff that michelob ultra light beer nonsense. piss water. no wonder lance armstrong promotes it).

Also, when it comes to juice - does that only hold true for premade juices? I've been considering getting a juicer to make my own, that way there's 0 additives.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
i like to drink some extra calories in the form of beer. but limit it because i know that they beers by and large have a ton of calories (at least the ones I enjoy. eff that michelob ultra light beer nonsense. piss water. no wonder lance armstrong promotes it).

Also, when it comes to juice - does that only hold true for premade juices? I've been considering getting a juicer to make my own, that way there's 0 additives.
Fruits and juice made from fruit are usually pretty high in sugar and carbs. Pre-made stuff that has a bunch of filler in it (like high-fructose corn syrup) are REALLY bad for you, obviously. Moar natural stuff isn't as 'bad' for you since the sugars are coming from a natural 'clean' source, but I think the general consensus is to watch your intake just like you would with anything else. There's basically three components of any food, right? Protein, Carbohydrates, and Fat. The quick formula to figure out how much of each is in a particular food is easy. There are 9 calories in a gram of fat, and 4 calories in a gram each of Protein and Carbohydrates. So if you know there's 34g of carbs, 1g of protein, and 0g of fat in a serving of something, you can figure out that you'd be eating ~140 calories. This is the makeup of a regular sized apple, by the way. Also of note: of those 34g of carbs, 25g comes from sugar. Again, it's a healthier sugar, clean natural fructose as opposed to processed garbage, but it's ALSO why drinking a lot of fruit juice can get you in trouble: the sugar/carb laden calories can add up QUICKLY, and if you're not burning them, you're storing them, even if they're clean. Couple of links for a bit moar info on nutritional info of fruits and veggies, there's heaps of this on the internets:

http://kidshealth.org/kid/nutrition/food/calorie.html
http://www.wegmans.com/pdf/nutrition/fruits.pdf
http://www.fda.gov/food/labelingnutrition/foodlabelingguidanceregulatoryinformation/informationforrestaurantsretailestablishments/ucm063367.htm

It's all about ratios, meaning the carb-protein-fat ratio, in your diet. And it always depends on what your goals are, your current body structure, etc. Not to mention the type of fuel your body responds best to. For instance, I'm at a place where to perform better as a skier/cyclist, I need to increase the amount of healthy fats that I eat. Never though I would hear any one tell me that, but that's what my trainer is recommending right now based on my current diet and body composition.

I bet there are a ton of fat out of shape people giving advice in this thread.
Like when Dr. Phil wrote a diet book.
Hey! I resemble that remark! :D

*** DISCLAIMER: I'm not a nutritionist. I did work at a nutritional supplements company for a number of years, and picked up a good bit of 'clean eating' type of info along the way, most of it backed by studies and whatnot. NOTHING can replace good ol' fashioned research, and talking with a health care or nutrition professional.

Last edited:

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
D'oh! Fiber... it's always fiber... where's that 'slaps own head' smiley when you need it?

In my defense, does fiber really count? I mean... it really just makes you poop, right? :D

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
In my defense, does fiber really count? I mean... it really just makes you poop, right? :D
I does count if you're trying to shed weight. Fiber helps you feel full and eat less calories overall. Also, many fiber rich foods also have high nutrient density, so it's win/win.

Example: eat a whole orange instead of drinking a glass of juice. Less calories, more filling.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
I does count if you're trying to shed weight. Fiber helps you feel full and eat less calories overall. Also, many fiber rich foods also have high nutrient density, so it's win/win.

Example: eat a whole orange instead of drinking a glass of juice. Less calories, more filling.
Probably a solid reason many of the 'cleanse' types of products you find at the local health food store are chock-full of that stuff, some are just glorified Metamucil or psyllium husk. Makes perfect sense. Thanks for clarifying.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Probably a solid reason many of the 'cleanse' types of products you find at the local health food store are chock-full of that stuff, some are just glorified Metamucil or psyllium husk. Makes perfect sense. Thanks for clarifying.
All that stuff should be only occasional use or last resort. Just eat whole raw vegetables, oatmeal, etc.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
DirtyMike, sorry to nitpipck here but a couple of the things you said are not quite "fact" and I can't really ignore it.

I don't think the caffeine is the problem, it's the sugar. Sugar messes with your body's blood sugar levels. Weird, right? Caffeine has actually been shown in studies to raise the body's thermogenic levels, increase metabolism, and potentially burn calories. I'm not saying to down a pot of espresso a day if you're trying to lose weight, just saying I don't believe caffeine to be the issue. Now... stay off the SODA? Oh H3LL yes... a cardinal rule I've always heard is "don't drink your calories" so staying away from soda, energy drinks, fancy coffees from Starbucks with sweeteners in them, and juices is key. Juice, even that which is made from 100% fruit juice, is loaded with calories which are predominantly sugar/carbs. So if losing weight is your goal, stay off of them. Caffeine though? Not as much, it's just that drinks with caffeine quite often ALSO contain carp-loads of sugar, and that's moar the issue.

Well, I wasn't saying to eat cheeseburgers all the time, but more that if you have been on a restricted diet for a month or so and you have a craving, go have it. Otherwize you end up staying hungry because your not eating what your body wants... the cheeseburger was more of an example, and the cuting it in half was the reminder to watch your portions....

On the note fo the cafeene, straight from my doctor, cafeene raises your blood sugar levels, giving you that energy boost/buzz most of us are looking for with our morning cup of joe, but it also give you a low after you process it. During that low you get hungry, extra bouts of hunger makes it alot harder to lose weight in the first place..... Maybe I should have worded it differently the first time, hope fully that is a better explanation.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Well, I wasn't saying to eat cheeseburgers all the time, but more that if you have been on a restricted diet for a month or so and you have a craving, go have it. Otherwize you end up staying hungry because your not eating what your body wants... the cheeseburger was more of an example, and the cuting it in half was the reminder to watch your portions....

On the note fo the cafeene, straight from my doctor, cafeene raises your blood sugar levels, giving you that energy boost/buzz most of us are looking for with our morning cup of joe, but it also give you a low after you process it. During that low you get hungry, extra bouts of hunger makes it alot harder to lose weight in the first place..... Maybe I should have worded it differently the first time, hope fully that is a better explanation.
jesus dude at least spell it right.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
agree, sorta, I don't scientifically agree that you have to give your body what it wants. But I agree that once you learn to eat clean you have to give yourself a cheat meal occasionally, and watching portion size while doing so is good advice.

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Keep in mind that you're body will crave what it's been trained to crave, and if you've shoveled garbage in there for a long time, yeah you probably won't feel 'satiated' since you're not eating what you're used to. But once you learn to eat clean, your body will most likely 'crave' new things.

Interesting. Seriously. I've never heard this, so I Googled that stuff. The first few results of a Google search for the phrase "caffeine and blood sugar" indicate that there MAY be some link between caffeine and an impairment of insulin production, but that it doesn't necessarily affect glucose levels.The exception is in people with Type 2 diabetes, where a rise in glucose levels after meals has been seen with caffeine consumption.

"Caffeine impairs insulin action but not glucose levels in young, healthy adults, but people with type 2 diabetes may experience a small rise particularly after meals," -- from http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/caffeine-and-blood-sugar/MY01070

I also read a few other entries on caffeine and weight loss, on MayoClinic and WebMD, and they both say it *MIGHT* help with weight loss, but there are other possible side affects that probably make it ineffective as a long-term or permanent weight-loss aid/solution.

Rum, on the other hand...

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
True..... Part of the other reason I say to go ahead and ge tthat cheeseburger when your craving it, and I mean craving not a hey whats for lunch today feeling, is that if you have cut it out long enough that when you crave it and let yourself have it..... It will probably taste like ****, and your cravings for it will subside over time.

Last edited:

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Keep in mind that you're body will crave what it's been trained to crave, and if you've shoveled garbage in there for a long time, yeah you probably won't feel 'satiated' since you're not eating what you're used to. But once you learn to eat clean, your body will most likely 'crave' new things....
this is what I meant to type, but was tiread nad on my phone.

True..... Part of the other reason I say to go ahead and ge tthat cheeseburger when your craving it, and I mean craving not a hey whats for lunch today feeling, is taht if you have cut it out long enough that when you crave it and let yourself have it..... It will probably taste like ****, and your cravings for it will subside over time.
very good point, I know that when I get consistent with my diet I crave chicken breasts and veggies and fish and other good for you foods.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
Yeah in and out used to be one of my favorite stops..... Havent been there in almost a year. Just the smell of it makes my stomach turn now, in fact if I am going to have a burger I go get a good burger from a resturant that is not a meat substitute grease ball.... Fast food in general just makes my stomach turn these days now.

But, in the process of getting this way after a month or two I would get that craving that all I wanted was XXXXX... I would hold off for awhile, if I still craved it I would have it. First thing I did was throw half away, and I felt satisfied after eating it. If I put it off I would just stay hungry....

Its ok to break your diet, not after the third day but after the diet is working as long as you jump back into it the next time you eat.

What ever you do though, lets say you break your diet for lunch with a burrito, fry's, and a big ass soda... Dont skip dinner to make up for it. Go ahead and eat a sensible dinner, yes your nasty ass lunch will slow down your weight loss, but skipping the dinner will slow it even worse. Just get right back to it.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
this thread is so full of fat. i love fat people giving advice to other fat people about how not to be fat. it is like the threads full of straight people talking about how ghey something is.