Nov 10, 2004
Cliff notes for the above novel:

Exercise on a regular basis.

Eat nutritious food, but not too much.

DirtMcGirk

<b>WAY</b> Dumber than N8 (to the power of ten alm
Feb 21, 2008
Oz
My new craving seems to revolve around sugar free redbull and bananas. Its also my new favorite pre-ride food.

Down to 260. That's 4lb this week. Not bad. Need to keep kicking in 4 day a week rides and running in the morning though.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Oh so wrong. Increase muscle mass by 10%, then use those muscles while achieving cardiovascular output and your power output/kj burn skyrockets.

Replace 1/4 to 1/3 of the calories you burn during exercise while exercising to prevent catabolic state. Ride a bike with a powermeter to pinpoint caloric output within 5%.

I have nothing else to add, but I also ride the bleeding edge of these things, so my input is pretty worthless to most people.
take it to the doping forum...

does your diet account for whiskey consumption?

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
Totally forgot:

Running, like any running at all, fvcking hurts.
It takes about three months of consistent running before that pain starts to go away. When you're first getting into though, ugh...hips, ankles, knees, back, shoulders...christ, everything hurts. It won't take long though before you're banging out five mile runs with relative ease. I've been running for just over a year and average 45-50 miles a week and 175-200 a month.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
^^

Please tell me you don't wear those foot gloves.

Also, Pesqueeb, you should try my method for caloric whiskey reduction -I just use a stick of celery to stir my bourbon, then eat the celery whilst enjoying a nice tumbler of Rebel Yell...Since the celery requires more calories to consume than it provides, it cancels out the bourbon calories. Plus, if you drink enough bourbon, it tends to make you want to fight and/or run away from cops, which I like to think of as my own personal version of crossfit training.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Also, Pesqueeb, you should try my method for caloric whiskey reduction -I just use a stick of celery to stir my bourbon, then eat the celery whilst enjoying a nice tumbler of Rebel Yell...Since the celery requires more calories to consume than it provides, it cancels out the bourbon calories. Plus, if you drink enough bourbon, it tends to make you want to fight and/or run away from cops, which I like to think of as my own personal version of crossfit training.
Rebel Yell? Yikes, had a bad experience with that one once. :bad: Otherwise, I would like to subscribe to your newsletter.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
Sure did, but "omg cafeen make u fat" instantly flipped on the "lolwut?" switch.

Full Trucker is smrt. Listen to him.
(snip).
So you glanced at it then....... never said caffein makes you fat, I said it makes it harder to lose weight.
Also I agreed with alot of what Full trucker said
Did you miss the part were I have had the "lifestyle change" and have lost a hundred pounds? I lost that in eight months in a healthy way, and Its still off........... I would say taht with the advice of my doctor and my trainer I did pretty damned good, and I can truly say, that if you cut the caffein it does come off faster.

So you glanced at it then....... never said caffein makes you fat, I said it makes it harder to lose weight.
Also I agreed with alot of what Full trucker said
Did you miss the part were I have had the "lifestyle change" and have lost a hundred pounds? I lost that in eight months in a healthy way, and Its still off........... I would say taht with the advice of my doctor and my trainer I did pretty damned good, and I can truly say, that if you cut the caffein it does come off faster.
Your doctor is probably lying.

http://ukpmc.ac.uk/abstract/MED/723503/reload=0;jsessionid=LRAUtI8JBAImG8UA2wHU.2

"Measurements of plasma free fatty acids, glycerol and respiratory exchange ratios evidenced a greater rate of lipid metabolism during the caffeine trial as compared to the decaffeinated exercise treatment. Calculations of carbohydrate (CHO) metabolism from respiratory exchange data revealed that the subjects oxidized roughly 240 g of CHO in both trials. Fat oxidation, however, was significantly higher (P less than 0.05) during the C Trial (118 g or 1.31 g/min) than in the D Trial (57 g or 0.75 g/min). On the average the participants rated (Perceived Exertion Scale) their effort during the C Trial to be significantly (P less than 0.05) easier than the demands of the D treatment. Thus, the enhanced endurance performance observed in the C Trial was likely the combined effects of caffeine on lipolysis and its positive influence on nerve impulse transmission."

Caffeine is a stimulant. Stimulants, by and large, boost metabolism. The end. I'm betting your doctor was just trying to ween you from coffee beverages resembling milkshakes and soft drinks.

But yes, clif notes:

-Eat nutritious and real food in moderation, avoid heavy processing.
-Eat ~500kcal less than you burn per day for optimal fat loss. Write it down.
-Track your weight trends over weeks.
-Don't eat artificial sweeteners or foods that have had the fat stripped out of them (reduced/fat-free dairy especially).
-Keep fat in your diet.
-Be active.

I forgot to add, if you want to get really OCD, go get a BodPod or UWW body composition test, and key it to a home electrical impedance bodyfat scale like a Tanita. You'll know when that 4lbs you thought you lost in a week was actually a big poop or dehydration instead of actual fat loss.

Last edited:

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Caffeine is a stimulant. Stimulants, by and large, boost metabolism. The end.

But yes, clif notes:

-Don't eat artificial sweeteners or foods that have had the fat stripped out of them (reduced/fat-free dairy especially).
-Keep fat in your diet.
-Be active.
end thread

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
It takes about three months of consistent running before that pain starts to go away. When you're first getting into though, ugh...hips, ankles, knees, back, shoulders...christ, everything hurts. It won't take long though before you're banging out five mile runs with relative ease. I've been running for just over a year and average 45-50 miles a week and 175-200 a month.
Good for you man.

I bought a cheap pair of running shoes so at least my walk/jog outings won't kill me while I pile on some cardio in the gym. Not having a bike sucks ass. Just started riding again and it was stolen.

I'm on tour in a couple months though so it's actually better that I'm not riding - can't afford a crash.

Once I feel like I'm not going to faint at the gym I'll go the the specialty running store and get the right shoes and get serious. I used to run when I was younger and I (vaguely) remember actually enjoying it at times.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
Good for you man.

I bought a cheap pair of running shoes so at least my walk/jog outings won't kill me while I pile on some cardio in the gym. Not having a bike sucks ass. Just started riding again and it was stolen.

I'm on tour in a couple months though so it's actually better that I'm not riding - can't afford a crash.

Once I feel like I'm not going to faint at the gym I'll go the the specialty running store and get the right shoes and get serious. I used to run when I was younger and I (vaguely) remember actually enjoying it at times.
Look up the book "Born To Run" it's awesome and puts running shoes into perspective, all the while giving a history of the underground ultra-running elite.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Look up the book "Born To Run" it's awesome and puts running shoes into perspective, all the while giving a history of the underground ultra-running elite.
:stupid:

Great book. My wife was already a runner, so between peer pressure and that book I had to start too. Plus, its actually less time consuming than going out for a ride and you can do it damn near anywhere, in any weather. Your probably better off in the cheap shoes.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
How can I tell what I burn, short of wearing a HRM all day long?

http://ukpmc.ac.uk/abstract/MED/723503/reload=0;jsessionid=LRAUtI8JBAImG8UA2wHU.2

"Measurements of plasma free fatty acids, glycerol and respiratory exchange ratios evidenced a greater rate of lipid metabolism during the caffeine trial as compared to the decaffeinated exercise treatment. Calculations of carbohydrate (CHO) metabolism from respiratory exchange data revealed that the subjects oxidized roughly 240 g of CHO in both trials. Fat oxidation, however, was significantly higher (P less than 0.05) during the C Trial (118 g or 1.31 g/min) than in the D Trial (57 g or 0.75 g/min). On the average the participants rated (Perceived Exertion Scale) their effort during the C Trial to be significantly (P less than 0.05) easier than the demands of the D treatment. Thus, the enhanced endurance performance observed in the C Trial was likely the combined effects of caffeine on lipolysis and its positive influence on nerve impulse transmission."

Caffeine is a stimulant. Stimulants, by and large, boost metabolism. The end. I'm betting your doctor was just trying to ween you from coffee beverages resembling milkshakes and soft drinks.

But yes, clif notes:

-Keep fat in your diet.
-Be active.

I forgot to add, if you want to get really OCD, go get a BodPod or UWW body composition test, and key it to a home electrical impedance bodyfat scale like a Tanita. You'll know when that 4lbs you thought you lost in a week was actually a big poop or dehydration instead of actual fat loss.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
:stupid:

Great book. My wife was already a runner, so between peer pressure and that book I had to start too. Plus, its actually less time consuming than going out for a ride and you can do it damn near anywhere, in any weather. Your probably better off in the cheap shoes.
Book completely changed how I run. No more pain. It's glorious. And at 6'4", 235# I was not built to run. It's great.

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
I've been running in Five Fingers for a few years now and just read the book recently. Really makes you want to go out and start running if you aren't already.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
All human males have evolved to run their hunted prey to death.

:thumb:

The premise of that book sounds solid, I will definitely pick it up.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
I've been running in Five Fingers for a few years now and just read the book recently. Really makes you want to go out and start running if you aren't already.
Two dumb questions:

1) What do you think about the "minimalist" shoes?

and

2) Is it totally retarded for a beginner runner to jump straight into barefoot or minimalist running?

As a side note, I was looking at a pair of the 5-fingers as a good alternative for drumming shoes. I wear Vans (have for years) but they never feel right until they are super worn out. They feel best when the soles are thinned out and the uppers are full of holes. I've tried drumming barefoot and it was exceedingly painful (bass drum pedals are about as comfy as BMX pedals) I'll have to see what's out there.

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head

But yes, clif notes:

-Keep fat in your diet.
-Be active.

Yeah because you know those docotrs, damn liars all the time.

Its the coming down off the caffein that gets you when your trying ot lose weight. Yes stimulants boost metabolism, but the down side is when you run out your supply in your blood stream it does the opposite.

Simply put, the less you are intaking to **** with your metabolic rate, the better your weightloss, and more consistant it will be.

drop to flat

Chimp
Mar 1, 2012
in a van,whistler
I used to take this stuff called ,Thermolean ,had ephedrine in it but sheez you could ride like the wind.
I got a great bike for the phat kids a 60 lb banshee scream v2,with monster t,700 pound rear spring. got to be able to find someone who wants it .The thing is a boat anchor.
Stay away from trans fats,gluten, for sure. Drink lots of juice like carrot with ginger,with a juicer,eat super fruit like blue berries,avacados,oysters in a can for a pre bike snack,Take liquid ginsing for energy for big ride days.
I average 76 whistler days in summer and ride 4 days a week all year round.with a 3 day a week gym routine day 1 back and arms ,fore arms,day 2 chest and tri ,traps day 3 legs and shoulders off days in between.or when you are tierd.
Get a gym membership or join a boot camp ,they make you decide the lifestyle choice.Total gym at home ,knuckle pushups. Lots of hike a bike rides and hiking,swiming ,stretching ,Skip rope ,build core strength with pilates, Rock climbing,Snow shoeing, get out and start trailbuilding that is the most strenuous form of excersise out there.

sstalder5

Turbo Monkey
Aug 20, 2008
Beech Mtn Definitely NOT Boulder
You can't just start running. I tried a while back, ran about two and a half miles at a decent pace and damn near collapsed about a half mile from home. It was so bad it was hurting to breathe. And I'm like 5'11'' 150#! I don't understand how people do it! And I see people who look like they're in way worse shape than me running all the time! What's the secret?? I can ride my bike just about indefinitely but get me running and I'm ready to fall down in 15 minutes.

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
I used to take this stuff called ,Thermolean ,had ephedrine in it but sheez you could ride like the wind.
I got a great bike for the phat kids a 60 lb banshee scream v2,with monster t,700 pound rear spring. got to be able to find someone who wants it .The thing is a boat anchor.
Stay away from trans fats,gluten, for sure. Drink lots of juice like carrot with ginger,with a juicer,eat super fruit like blue berries,avacados,oysters in a can for a pre bike snack,Take liquid ginsing for energy for big ride days.
I average 76 whistler days in summer and ride 4 days a week all year round.with a 3 day a week gym routine day 1 back and arms ,fore arms,day 2 chest and tri ,traps day 3 legs and shoulders off days in between.or when you are tierd.
Get a gym membership or join a boot camp ,they make you decide the lifestyle choice.Total gym at home ,knuckle pushups. Lots of hike a bike rides and hiking,swiming ,stretching ,Skip rope ,build core strength with pilates, Rock climbing,Snow shoeing, get out and start trailbuilding that is the most strenuous form of excersise out there.
Reading your posts are a workout in themselves. Do you get paid by the comma?

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
You can't just start running. I tried a while back, ran about two and a half miles at a decent pace and damn near collapsed about a half mile from home. It was so bad it was hurting to breathe. And I'm like 5'11'' 150#! I don't understand how people do it! And I see people who look like they're in way worse shape than me running all the time! What's the secret?? I can ride my bike just about indefinitely but get me running and I'm ready to fall down in 15 minutes.

It's working a completely different set of muscles, taxing you aerobically like cycling has not done in awhile, AND hammering your bones, AND jostling your guts. It just sucks until your body adjusts to it. Those people that look in worse shape have just been doing it long enough to harden up.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
And I don't say this to be a dick, but lay off the gym and go to English literacy boot camp. I can see that you can spell, but your punctuation and grammar make me go cross eyed trying to read your post.

Or just slow down some when typing?

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Two dumb questions:

2) Is it totally retarded for a beginner runner to jump straight into barefoot or minimalist running?
Probably better than for those of us who have been running another way for eons...

If you want a thin-soled shoe for drumming, you might check out the new-school runners. Or wrestling shoes. Or old-school track flats. I have a pair of Saucony casual shoes modeled on their 70s running shoes which have super-thin and flexible rubber soles.

drop to flat

Chimp
Mar 1, 2012
in a van,whistler
Ha ha that's why i failed English 12 .When i read its bike mags and i just look at the pictures .
Most of the other learning disabilities are due to repeated blows to the head . I back my statements up with the way i ride not my one finger typing skills .What would you all suggest less content ,not so scrambled up.
Has anyone tried the wii fit program ,it talks to you criticizing your condition.
Funny thing is i fractured my vertebrae in 07 took a year off riding ,never got fat.but when you do not move your neck for that long and when you herniate your lower disc your body goes stiff .
Back in general so stretching those hamstrings and lower back can take about an hour a day.
Drink green tea it has great health benefits.
If you cant read my posts don't bother try to imagine how much i care?

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
Ha ha that's why i failed English 12 .When i read its bike mags and i just look at the pictures .
Most of the other learning disabilities are due to repeated blows to the head . I back my statements up with the way i ride not my one finger typing skills .What would you all suggest less content ,not so scrambled up.
Has anyone tried the wii fit program ,it talks to you criticizing your condition.
Funny thing is i fractured my vertebrae in 07 took a year off riding ,never got fat.but when you do not move your neck for that long and when you herniate your lower disc your body goes stiff .
Back in general so stretching those hamstrings and lower back can take about an hour a day.
Drink green tea it has great health benefits.
If you cant read my posts don't bother try to imagine how much i care?
Your typing shows how much you care. Only trying to help here.

drop to flat

Chimp
Mar 1, 2012
in a van,whistler
I I own 6 bikes,
Banshee scream v2
Norco Shore
Santa Cruz Nomad
Specialized Sx trail
Specialized Demo 7
Specialized Demo 8
Brodie h/t,we the people BMX
So i let my riding do the talking im not some suit and tie guy with an education who drives a Mercedes suv .
Im a cave man rider who is passionate about the sport of freeride,i drive old trucks ,& wrench myself.
So i may not fit in with your little yuppie group .Just trying to introduce myself politely .
this is a fat thread not a grammer school ,i hope i get neg rep.
When i post i try to get attention and be like a joker its all in good fun don't get your boxers in a knot.