Quantcast

Jesus Christ, Hollywood Superstar?

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
Originally posted by Silver
I've seen him in person, way too hairy. Not old enough either.

Michael Douglas maybe?
Michael already has befowled what's her face with his wrinkles, I say give it to Kirk Douglas. :devil:

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Originally posted by Tenchiro
Michael already has befowled what's her face with his wrinkles, I say give it to Kirk Douglas. :devil:
I don't think the audience would realistically believe that Kirk Douglas could get sh!tfaced and have sex on two consecutive nights. I thought of that one already.

Harrison Ford might be good too...

Tenchiro

Jul 19, 2002
New England
Originally posted by Silver
I don't think the audience would realistically believe that Kirk Douglas could get sh!tfaced and have sex on two consecutive nights. I thought of that one already.

Harrison Ford might be good too...
Yeah, Ford or Connery. That is IF AND ONLY IF he could lose that effin accent...

towelie

Monkey
May 14, 2003
Santa Barbara county
Originally posted by zod
Great question, God works in mysterious ways, maybe something was to be learned from all of them. There are differences but the end effect is the same and that's the most important part of the Gospels

Ahh...yes, but there are difference. Even Jesus' last words ("it is finished" vs. "my God, my God, why have you forsaken me?" vs. ???) differ. They can't all be historically correct.

So, if you want to interrpret them as telling a RELIGIOUS story, that is fine. If you want to read them like a detailed history book, no dice.

Also, Pilate was the dude in charge. He didn't have to prusuade anybody- he could TELL them.

The olsen twins eh? I'd watch that movie- for religious reasons only, of course.

zibbler

Monkey
Originally posted by towelie

Also, Pilate was the dude in charge. He didn't have to prusuade anybody- he could TELL them.
I won't respond any further than this, but if you read the gospels and understand the history of Roman rule, it would make more sense. This whole thing took place during the time of the Passover, which meant that the population of the Jews in Jerusalem swelled massively as the jews traveled fron distant areas to come worship at the temple. The Jews were already antsy and looking for a rebellion against the Romans. Pilate knew that if he didn't ultimately give the crowd what they wanted, there would be a huge rebellion, riots, a coup etc...

Also, because the population was much larger at that time in Jerusalem than it normaly would be, I would suspect that the crowd would be pretty massive. Just my opinion.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
Ahh...yes, but there are difference. Even Jesus' last words ("it is finished" vs. "my God, my God, why have you forsaken me?" vs. ???) differ. They can't all be historically correct.

So, if you want to interrpret them as telling a RELIGIOUS story, that is fine. If you want to read them like a detailed history book, no dice.
i assume you mean last words before he died?

at any rate, matt 27:46 states "my god, my god, why have you foresaken me?", then he cried out and breathed his last.

luke 23:46 states: "Father, into your hands I commit my spirit.", then he breathed his last.

john 19:30 states: "It is finished.", and with that he gave up his spirit.

i am only able to acknowledge the NIV version of scripture does indeed offer 3 (seemingly) different accounts of His last seconds. I'd be interested to know myself why that is.

for the record, this has no chance of shaking my faith, but it will motivate me to learn more about what i claim to be important to me.

towelie

Monkey
May 14, 2003
Santa Barbara county
Originally posted by $tinkle

for the record, this has no chance of shaking my faith, but it will motivate me to learn more about what i claim to be important to me.
It wasn't intended to shake your faith- only the assumption that the bible can be read as a history book. While there are many historical things in the bible, the book is about religion- not history or science.

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
Originally posted by zibbler
I won't respond any further than this, but if you read the gospels and understand the history of Roman rule, it would make more sense. This whole thing took place during the time of the Passover, which meant that the population of the Jews in Jerusalem swelled massively as the jews traveled fron distant areas to come worship at the temple. The Jews were already antsy and looking for a rebellion against the Romans. Pilate knew that if he didn't ultimately give the crowd what they wanted, there would be a huge rebellion, riots, a coup etc...

Also, because the population was much larger at that time in Jerusalem than it normaly would be, I would suspect that the crowd would be pretty massive. Just my opinion.
I think that Pilate was actually told by Caesar (prior to Jesus being presented to him) to "cool it" regarding killing Jews, evidently he got a little carried away.

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
Originally posted by zibbler

Ah, a political decision....

...that's perilously close to relevance for this forum.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
The Lovingway United Pentecostal Church in Denver drew protests after unveiling a sign Wednesday that said, “Jews Killed the Lord Jesus.” The sign added, “Settled!”
link

That's three blocks south of my work -- where i am right now -- gonna drive by and see if the sign's still up.

What people don't get is, it doesn't matter if it's true, but the consequences of yelling it. I don't think Jews care if people believe it, but worry about those who will want revenge. Blaming a me for killing jesus is like blaming me for slavery.

towelie

Monkey
May 14, 2003
Santa Barbara county
Pontius Pilate crucified and killed thousands of Jews. Why would he care about Jesus?

Many religious scholars think that authors of the NT cast Pilate in a more compasionate hue in order to help stay off Rome's sh*t list, or at least stay a little lower on the list than they already were.

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
Originally posted by LordOpie
link

That's three blocks south of my work -- where i am right now -- gonna drive by and see if the sign's still up.

What people don't get is, it doesn't matter if it's true, but the consequences of yelling it. I don't think Jews care if people believe it, but worry about those who will want revenge. Blaming a me for killing jesus is like blaming me for slavery.
That breaks my heart to read things like that, and might I add so contrary to the teachings of Jesus that I don't know where to even begin. :mad:

FWIW - United Penecostal (ie "Oneness penecostal) are something of a fringe religion (I won't even go as far to call them truly Christian), similar to Jehova's Witnesses or Mormons. Their "wackyness" however doesn't change what they did, which without a doubt is unbiblical.

<RANT ON> These are the kind of things that totally make me unbelieveably mad when I see stuff like this. A group labeling itself as "Christian" acts in a most unchristianlike and "un Jesus" like manner.

Lets pretend for just a second that as a Christian Jews are my "enemy". As a Christian what should be my attitude towards them? Jesus taught that a beleiver is to love their enemy. The Greek word there for love is agape, it's unconditional love, the kind Jesus showed us while we were sinners. That's the kind of love Christians should show their enemies.

Secondly, Jews are not the "enemies" of Christians. The Christian faith is essentially Judiasm "evolved" (I hate using that word), our Christian roots are Jewish, our savior is Jewish, the bulk of the entire Bible was written by Jews. With all our Jewish roots I don't for the life of me get this "hatred" for them. Spiritually they are our brothers, we both spiritually (according to the Bible) are sons of Abraham.

Anyway, I so do not get that whole deal. Lordopie, and all the other members of the Jew crew here on the :monkey: I want to sincerly apologize for those "christians" (notice the quotes and I did not capitalize the "c") and what they have done. It is unbiblical, and hopefully God will "take care" of them as He sees fit. <rant off>

To the Jew crew here on the :monkey:: May the Lord bless you and keep you, may He be gracious to you and may His face shine upon you, and may He give you His Shalom.

Peace be with you my brothers..............

zod

Turbo Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
G-County, NC
Pontius Pilate crucified and killed thousands of Jews. Why would he care about Jesus?
IF in the back of his mind he believed what Jesus claimed and it scared Pilot........

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Andy, you're a good man. May a camel never spit in you eye, may you get a BJ 4x/week :D

UPDATE: The church's sign now has an apology to jews. Was that church stupid, passionate in their beliefs, or (what I'm thinking) doing a dumb marketing stunt?

Tenchiro

Jul 19, 2002
New England
Originally posted by DRB
So has anyone actually seen the movie yet????

No one I know has actually seen it yet.
I have a friend who saw it, she says it is very, very violent. But it is Mel Gibson so that is to be expected.

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
I have a friend who saw it, she says it is very, very violent. But it is Mel Gibson so that is to be expected.
or rather "it is based upon the gospels, so that is to be expected".

ask your friend (or me after this wknd) if artistic license was used to change the story.

Tenchiro

Jul 19, 2002
New England
or rather "it is based upon the gospels, so that is to be expected".

ask your friend (or me after this wknd) if artistic license was used to change the story.
I don't know if she is much for knowing the gospel, but she did say it was very realistic violence.

Did you all listen to the tape of Mel Gibsons dad on Stern? He was doing an interview with a public radio guy who did the interview with Gibsons dad. The clip they played really made him out to be a raving anti-semite that thinks Jews somehow run the world and are all in cahoots with each other.

Makes you wonder how far the nut fell from the tree, especially when Mel was talking about his wife going to hell because she is Episcopalian or something. He basically said only people in his sect of the church could go to heaven.

Andyman_1970

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2003
The Natural State
Makes you wonder how far the nut fell from the tree, especially when Mel was talking about his wife going to hell because she is Episcopalian or something. He basically said only people in his sect of the church could go to heaven.
I think Mel is going to be surprised as to who "makes it" to heaven and who doesn't. I would also say Mel needs to spend some time studying the New Testament and something other that what is spoon fed to him by the "church". He'll be surprised that there will be Catholics, Methodist, Epsicopals, Lutherans, Baptists that are in and will be in heaven.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
The clip they played really made him out to be a raving anti-semite that thinks Jews somehow run the world and are all in cahoots with each other.
I wish!! :D I think people would be surprised to know just how many poor or middle-class jews there are. The rich ones are easy to spot, but are far out numbered by the poor jews. If we were running things... I'd have at least a full-suspension disc'ed mtb and an 853 steel with ultegra and a Ducati 749s :devil: "We" ain't running sh:t :rolleyes:

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
I don't know if she is much for knowing the gospel, but she did say it was very realistic violence.

Did you all listen to the tape of Mel Gibsons dad on Stern? He was doing an interview with a public radio guy who did the interview with Gibsons dad. The clip they played really made him out to be a raving anti-semite that thinks Jews somehow run the world and are all in cahoots with each other.

we all have fathers.

and he said:
“There is no salvation for those outside the Church,”
quite different from "sect of the church". The latter smacks of cult. And for the record, i have not yet made heads/tails of his comment. For catholics, episcopalian is "catholic lite", and not fully recognized. I"m neither, so i don't have much more to offer than that.

"we all have fathers."

True, and sons are not responsible for the sins of the father, but it does make you wonder how much of an influence his father has had on him. Mel apparently refuses to talk about his Dad and his beliefs. I am suspect of that. You would think that if Mel disagrees with him, he would want that to be known so people would not get the wrong idea. But because he does not, I tend to think Mel holds the same beliefs.

Tenchiro

Jul 19, 2002
New England
we all have fathers.

and he said: quite different from "sect of the church". The latter smacks of cult. And for the record, i have not yet made heads/tails of his comment. For catholics, episcopalian is "catholic lite", and not fully recognized. I"m neither, so i don't have much more to offer than that.

Stinky Linky

Gibson was interviewed by the Herald Sun in Australia, and the reporter asked the star if Protestants are denied eternal salvation. “There is no salvation for those outside the Church,” Gibson replied. “I believe it.”

He elaborated: “Put it this way. My wife is a saint. She’s a much better person than I am. Honestly. She’s, like, Episcopalian, Church of England. She prays, she believes in God, she knows Jesus, she believes in that stuff. And it’s just not fair if she doesn’t make it, she’s better than I am. But that is a pronouncement from the chair. I go with it.”
To me that is bordering on sectarianism...