Quantcast

Jesus! Someone needs to go to target practice once in awhile!

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
120 rounds and they only managed to wound the suspect 4 times???
:nope:

2 Hurt in Deputies' Crossfire
LA Times | May 10 | Tonya Alanez and Monte Morin

Ten Los Angeles County sheriff's deputies opened fire early Monday on an SUV they were chasing, discharging 120 rounds in a frenzied crossfire that injured a deputy and the unarmed suspect while sending bullets into nearby homes.

The shooting on a narrow residential street in Compton sent residents diving for cover as bullets zipped over their heads and through their windows. In the aftermath, bullet holes pocked the walls of at least five homes.

Sheriff Lee Baca pledged a full investigation into the incident, which was caught on an amateur's videotape.

"The aspect of shooting in an urban area is problematic and dangerous under all circumstances," Baca said. "There's no such thing as a safe shooting under any conditions."

Internal affairs investigators are trying to determine whether the gunfire was a case of "contagious fire," meaning that some deputies incorrectly believed their colleagues' shots were coming from the suspect, prompting them to open fire.

"There are questions about whether one deputy shooting caused the others to fire," said Michael Gennaco, head of the sheriff's Office of Independent Review.

Residents in the Butler Avenue neighborhood off Alondra Boulevard said the deputies put their lives in jeopardy.

"This is crazy, really, really crazy," said Trina Hays, 42, who dove onto her lawn when the shooting erupted 20 feet away. "They didn't have any concern for anybody's life, including their own. That's why their own police officer got hit…. They could have just sat there and waited it out, but they opened fire."

The incident began shortly after midnight, when deputies responded to a call of gunfire and were told to look for a white SUV.

Winston Hayes, the suspect, had been driving his white Chevrolet Tahoe around the neighborhood for about four hours, playing music from his stereo as neighbors celebrated Mother's Day by lounging on their front lawns.

Hayes grew up in the working-class neighborhood, a stretch of modest bungalows where many families have lived for decades. Residents knew him well, and some joked that he was going to run out of gas if he kept driving around.

When deputies arrived, they tried to talk to Hayes. But he sped off, leading deputies on a chase that circled the block several times at speeds up to 35 mph.

Some residents said they believed he was showing off and teasing the officers.

"I saw him and the police going around and around and around, back and forth like a merry-go-round," said resident Tarae Smith, 41, who went to elementary school with Hayes.

"He'd stop and when it looked like the police were going to get out, he'd take off. He was playing a little cat-and-mouse game with them," added Terry Moore, 48, Smith's sister.

As the chase continued, some residents screamed at the officers not to shoot him.

Deputies eventually threw down a spike strip, hoping that he would run over it and puncture his tires. But the chase came to an abrupt halt before Hayes reached the strip.

Deputies used their patrol cars to block Hayes not far from where the chase began.

With nowhere else to go, Hayes swerved onto Moore's lawn and headed for her home, authorities said. Moore said she was horrified to see the headlights looming in her front window.

"It really spooked me, because when he came up in the grass I thought he was going to come up all the way into the house," Moore said.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Did the NYC Police Officers who shot Amadou Diallo 41 times when he reached for wallet transfer to Los Angeles?

clancy98

Monkey
Dec 6, 2004
IMO, once the cops tell you to stop and you dont, its your ass from there on out. Also, I dont know how those cops are trained, but logic says once you have deemed it worthy to start firing, keep firing til the target stops. ten cops, 12 round clip per: 120 rds. Its not really that excessive, especially since they were acting on reports of gunfire coming from a vehicle with that description.

Also, they shot 120 times but he was only hit 4 times. Personally I know the cops around where I'm from don't shoot that often, but in that proximity, if they had been trying to kill him, it's my guess that he would be dead, even if they aren't as good a shot as your average plinker.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
clancy98 said:
IMO, once the cops tell you to stop and you dont, its your ass from there on out. Also, I dont know how those cops are trained, but logic says once you have deemed it worthy to start firing, keep firing til the target stops. ten cops, 12 round clip per: 120 rds. Its not really that excessive, especially since they were acting on reports of gunfire coming from a vehicle with that description.

Also, they shot 120 times but he was only hit 4 times. Personally I know the cops around where I'm from don't shoot that often, but in that proximity, if they had been trying to kill him, it's my guess that he would be dead, even if they aren't as good a shot as your average plinker.

I say that once the officers opened fire, they fully intended to kill him. He was saved only because of thier poor markmanship and the probable fact they were using the next to worthless 9mm.

TSchultz

Chimp
Sep 2, 2003
S. MN
I guess I don't know if its the same in California, I would assume so, but here in Minnesota once a cop opens fire he has to shoot to kill. No shooting to wound or slow the person down is allowed.

Yes I agree cops do not shoot often enough, to be as proficient as they should be. There are some cops which I know personally that I would not/don't trust with a firearm, whether it is on the street or hunting.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Saw it on the news that the cops claimed they were not trying to kill the guy but disable his vehicle, said that if they wanted to kill the guy they would have. Everyone knows a 9mm is the perfect weapon for disabling GMC Suburbans. With their expert marksmanship they managed to nick one of their own in the crossfire.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Westy said:
Saw it on the news that the cops claimed they were not trying to kill the guy but disable his vehicle, said that if they wanted to kill the guy they would have. Everyone knows a 9mm is the perfect weapon for disabling GMC Suburbans. With their expert marksmanship they managed to nick one of their own in the crossfire.

Yeah, I heard the cops give that excuse earlier today... no one is buying it tho..

:p

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
N8 said:
Yeah, I heard the cops give that excuse earlier today... no one is buying it tho..

:p
It's great leap saying anything because I have never had to shoot for any reasons other than putting holes in paper but it seems that when not taking cover a few well aimed and placed shots would be much more effective than unloading a clip as fast as you can pull the trigger.

clancy98

Monkey
Dec 6, 2004
Westy said:
It's great leap saying anything because I have never had to shoot for any reasons other than putting holes in paper but it seems that when not taking cover a few well aimed and placed shots would be much more effective than unloading a clip as fast as you can pull the trigger.
definitely... and as for the 9mm being "worthless" I would have to disagree. It's not 40 or 454 but its not worthless. Maybe in the hands of one of THOSE cops.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Man it's been forever since we had a cop bashing thread. Now everyone who has never been in a gunfight and knows nothing about what it means to be a cop, be sure and chime in with your opinions about what should have been done differently.

N8 v2.0

Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
Echo said:
Man it's been forever since we had a cop bashing thread. Now everyone who has never been in a gunfight and knows nothing about what it means to be a cop, be sure and chime in with your opinions about what should have been done differently.
bashing? No... I don't think so.

firefight? Since the perp was unarmed I don't know about that really.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
The shooting on a narrow residential street in Compton sent residents diving for cover as bullets zipped over their heads and through their windows. In the aftermath, bullet holes pocked the walls of at least five homes.
In other words, just another Tuesday in Compton. So what's the problem? :confused:

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
Echo said:
No sh!t, the officers knew what they were doing. They know when its safe to empty their clip into a suspects car. I know they wounded one of their own... but let it go, its just a fluke. Out of 120 bullets one was bound to fly astray. Better a cop took it than someone sitting on their porch.

narlus

Eastcoast Softcore
Staff member
Nov 7, 2001
behind the viewfinder
that dude is accused of killing a cop by taking his gun and shooting him.

that's what he looked like when brought into the court for initial plea. about the guard, the story i heard was that it was labelled a "spit guard" to prevent the suspect from spitting on people.

reports say the suspect has mental problems. add physical problems to that list too.

mandatory disclaimer:

please note that my comments do not condone in any way violence against police.

audj

Chimp
Apr 23, 2005
everyone involved in that incident did the wrong thing. both sides should lay low
and avoid the subject. the driver put the cops on edge by fooling around like that,
and the cops lost their cool and seemingly freaked out. there must be something
in the water in Compton.

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
I used to work for the Compton Fire Department....you don't eff with the sheriffs in Compton...those guys lay down the law like no other. Actually Compton used to be a much more fvcked up place when the Compton PD was in town...they turned out to be corrupt so the sheriffs took them over. The guy should have known that. DON"T RUN FROM THE COMPTON SHERIFFS! Oh and I talked with my buddy who still works there...the cop that was wounded actually took the bullet in the vest and just has a little raspberry to show for it.

He also said what happened was that one of the sherriffs fired off a round...and just by chance another sherriff who was running tripped over something and everyone though that he got it...hence the 120 rounds

Clark Kent

Monkey
Oct 1, 2001
Mpls
That discharge from two officers is not uncommon now that many carry 9 mm with high cap mags. Its a spray and pray scenario that works well with the average policemans minimal interest and practice with firearms. Folks think that just because they are cops, they are gun crazy...Not true.

We just lost an officer here in Mn...(St Paul)... Really sucks. A vice squad cop that made some possitive and big differences in many peoples lives. :(