Quantcast

Jesus / War

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
maybe i'm off line here, i'm not sure what that pic was getting at but whoever said that Jesus hates war is a moron. too many passafists take things from the bible out of context. Jesus/God is a God of war, just look at the old testament, he's not some mellowed out hippie, he's fierce when he needs to be. does a "nice guy" go out and kill all the first born of a nation? or use 300 men to kill more than 10,000? i'm so tired of this notion that God is a nice (read: weak) guy that just sits around playing games with peoples lives.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Originally posted by manimal
maybe i'm off line here, i'm not sure what that pic was getting at but whoever said that Jesus hates war is a moron. too many passafists take things from the bible out of context. Jesus/God is a God of war, just look at the old testament, he's not some mellowed out hippie, he's fierce when he needs to be. does a "nice guy" go out and kill all the first born of a nation? or use 300 men to kill more than 10,000? i'm so tired of this notion that God is a nice (read: weak) guy that just sits around playing games with peoples lives.
I think the picture said "JESUS HATES WAR, YOU MORON". I am no theologist but I think Jesus and God are two different dudes. God being Jesus’ daddy and such. I don't remember hearing about Jesus smiting anyone, killing babies or getting 300 men to kill 10,000. It would have made the Last Temptation of Christ a much more interesting movie. Imagine Jesus hacking off sinners’ heads and impaling babies with a sword all Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon style. That would be one hell of a movie.

www.youbelieveeverythingyouretold.com :) ;) :D :p :eviltongu

the BIG cheese

The STUFF
Feb 26, 2002
stick red
Originally posted by Westy
I think the picture said "JESUS HATES WAR, YOU MORON". I am no theologist but I think Jesus and God are two different dudes. God being Jesus’ daddy and such. I don't remember hearing about Jesus smiting anyone, killing babies or getting 300 men to kill 10,000. It would have made the Last Temptation of Christ a much more interesting movie. Imagine Jesus hacking off sinners’ heads and impaling babies with a sword all Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon style. That would be one hell of a movie.

www.youbelieveeverythingyouretold.com :) ;) :D :p :eviltongu
you obviously arent b/c jesus is god and he is the holy spirit, the holy trinity, one of the mystreys of faith ect. ect.

read revelations in the bible, he does about what you described in the last few sentences of your post

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
the old testament is spiteful and violent, just like those who wrote it, presumably. the new testament, with its talk of a new covenant (and its message of love), should be enough to convince all that jesus would favor peace, no? perhaps i can just look at this too clearly because i'm not christian... :rolleyes:

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Originally posted by the BIG cheese
you obviously arent b/c jesus is god and he is the holy spirit, the holy trinity, one of the mystreys of faith ect. ect.

read revelations in the bible, he does about what you described in the last few sentences of your post
well said, however...that is a whole 'nother can of worms. i can just see the thread explosion on that topic alone and it makes my brain hurt to think of how it can be explained to the "enlightened" ones.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Originally posted by Toshi
the old testament is spiteful and violent, just like those who wrote it, presumably. the new testament, with its talk of a new covenant (and its message of love), should be enough to convince all that jesus would favor peace, no?

perhaps i can just look at this too clearly because i'm not christian... :rolleyes:
or perhaps because you have a hard time following a story correctly.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Originally posted by manimal
or perhaps because you have a hard time following a story correctly.
ah, then please enlighten me, manimal. i want to see where in the _new testament_ it is stated that jesus favors war. the old testament is irrelevant as far as i'm concerned. (this from the reading that i did as part of going to a jesuit high school.)

http://www.wcg.org/lit/law/otl/otl04.htm , point 5 in particular. when it is EXPLICITLY stated that you should "love thy neighbor", it seems clear that the intent of the writers of the new testament was anti-war.

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
IMO, it's pretty irrelevant what God thinks of war, because either way MAN LOVES WAR.

As long our species keeps giving birth to jackasses with inferiority complexes, there will be war mongers willing to twist the nearest scripture into whatever suits them. And as long as half the world is illiterate or close to, there will be people who believe him (or her, I suppose...).