Quantcast

:::: Jet-lagged Monday GTM ::::

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
I rode a bit of Mountain Lion. Turned back early and rode back to the car.

Not because of snow, though! Frontside was 100% rideable, maybe 5% snow cover on trail. I bet the trees and creek would still have snow. I never got there because I ripped my Exo Ardent's sidewall and found that my backup gear is insufficient. Too short stem on the tube (twss), wimpy narrow barrel Blackburn didn't do the trick.

So the bike's at Golden Bike Shop getting new meats (Minion DHF Exo 2.5" up front, Minion DHR Exo 2.4" in rear), and I have new tubes, pump/CO2, plugs, etc. Yes, I'm paying them to mount my tires, because tubeless is messy and my time is expensive these days.

:monocle:

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
I think I'll ride Mountain Lion Thursday instead with the new gear in the pack and tires on the crabonz.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
I think I'll ride Mountain Lion Thursday instead with the new gear in the pack and tires on the crabonz.
Add to your kit one of those plastic credit card solicitations you get in the mail and wrap a foot or so of duck tape around your pump barrel. That plastic is impossible to tear and makes a good emergency sidewall patch.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I've never torn an EXO sidewall and am not shy when it comes to rocks.
I have pinched an EXO (tubeless), @Toshi has torn his, and I've heard tell of numerous other torn EXOs out here.

So perhaps you're a Smooth Operator™? Or perhaps our Rocky Mountan rocks are more... gnarly than those you encounter?

You'd better knock on wood, though.

And @Toshi - get yourself some DD sidewalls... :D

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I was at the top of Deer Creek once, slashed my front EXO on a sharp Rock, walked all the way down at dusk (!) I was sure I was going to be eaten before I got to my car.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
I'm giving EXO another chance. Part of this was that they only had a Minion DHR with the DD sidewall in 2.3". I went with a 2.4" EXO, figuring the volume will aid me more.

This sidewall rip that I had would totally have been fixable, too. 5 mm and linear. I was itching to get new tires anyway so this seemed like a good segue.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I have pinched an EXO (tubeless), @Toshi has torn his, and I've heard tell of numerous other torn EXOs out here.

So perhaps you're a Smooth Operator™? Or perhaps our Rocky Mountan rocks are more... gnarly than those you encounter?

You'd better knock on wood, though.

And @Toshi - get yourself some DD sidewalls... :D
Had one tear on The Wall at DC. It was new too, which pissed me off.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Ha, me too. good thing they dock my taxes right from my paycheck, so in a sense, I've already paid my taxes. I just haven't filed them...
And finished. Actually getting something back this year.. Luckily I noticed that I didn't claim the tax paid on my student loan last year, otherwise I would have owed then $9.17.:homer:

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
On this day 186 years ago Donald Trumps great uncle Stan, Jesus, and Andrew Jackson hooked up to start the civil war. Stan didn't like Jews so they fired Jesus. They burned Atlanta because the jews wouldn't put ketchup on their delicious bagels...

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
On this day 186 years ago Donald Trumps great uncle Stan, Jesus, and Andrew Jackson hooked up to start the civil war. Stan didn't like Jews so they fired Jesus. They burned Atlanta because the jews wouldn't put ketchup on their delicious bagels...
Did I walk into the Random Thought Thread?

rockofullr

confused
Jun 11, 2009
East Bay, Cali
What do you use to edit and the setting for your youtube video? Its crystal clear...
That's straight from the gopro, just got up on the Hero 5. Recorded in 2.7K and just dumped to YouTub.

If I'm editing I use the H.264 encoding in Premier Pro at 1080 and 29.97 FPS. I'm still trying to figure out exactly what max bitrates and target bitrates are optimal for youtube and vimeo. Also I haven't edited anything with the new hero 5 footy yet so we'll see how that goes.

Last edited:

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
I'm giving EXO another chance. Part of this was that they only had a Minion DHR with the DD sidewall in 2.3". I went with a 2.4" EXO, figuring the volume will aid me more.

This sidewall rip that I had would totally have been fixable, too. 5 mm and linear. I was itching to get new tires anyway so this seemed like a good segue.
Not quite sure how to put this, but you may be a customer for whom a more robust sidewall is necessary. :D

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
this tire is available in the obsolete size. it has my interest.
indeed it is. it's what I'm running (paired with a 2.5 DHF Exo out front). I'm happy with rolling resistance, it clears mud decently (a bit better than the DHF), and it corners almost identically to the DHF (that first time this year railing a corner and feeling those corner knobs grab was oh soo good, especially after a winter spent tiptoe-ing around corners on the fatbike). unfortunately, you have to dish out an inordinate amount of money to acquire it. :monkey:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
indeed it is. it's what I'm running (paired with a 2.5 DHF Exo out front). I'm happy with rolling resistance, it clears mud decently (a bit better than the DHF), and it corners almost identically to the DHF (that first time this year railing a corner and feeling those corner knobs grab was oh soo good, especially after a winter spent tiptoe-ing around corners on the fatbike). unfortunately, you have to dish out an inordinate amount of money to acquire it. :monkey:
i used to race DH. $50 / tire isn't crazy. going through more than 6 a year is what takes a toll.

right now i have an Advantage 2.4 out front and some old intense semislick out back. when the intense goes that's getting replaced with a minion SS. i still have a 2.4 advantage unused in my parts bin, and always keep an eye out for more. but this could be an eventual replacement. it's labeled a 2.3, what's it actually measure?