Quantcast

Jill and Bryn

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
Why did GT even have a mtb race team to begin with.......who even buys GT bikes nowadays....?....

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
cecil, sam and brandog/monster have signed with specialized.

so maybe that explains why GT wouldnt let bryn race on the new 09 carbon bike this year....

Nagaredama

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Manhattan Beach, CA USA
I just read that on Jill's blog and was about to post it up.

She won an Olympic medal which is huge and they drop her? From a marketing sense dropping her is dumb. They should have built and entire ad campaign around her and Mike Day at BMX tracks around the county and shops that carry BMX bikes. Imagine the number of girls that would love to ride what Jill rides. I guess GT really doesn't care about equity in their brand.

Maybe Mike Day is next?

Hulkamaniac

Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Germantown, MD
Yeah, not sure I understand the move of dropping Kintner and Bryn either. Quite surprised by it actually, as they are/were very good ambassadors to the brand. However, given the current economic conditions in the US right now, I'm not surprised that any company is cutting back on all fronts.

DH'er16

Chimp
Feb 12, 2003
In a van down by the river
Yeah, not sure I understand the move of dropping Kintner and Bryn either. Quite surprised by it actually, as they are/were very good ambassadors to the brand. However, given the current economic conditions in the US right now, I'm not surprised that any company is cutting back on all fronts.
I can agree with that, if you're not representing like Sam, Greg or Peaty, it may not be financially worth it to companies (especially the big ones), so they will be cutting back some of their race promotions.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
Hard to say what's going on. Both the XC guys are going over to specialized also.

As far as the BMX they still have plenty of fire power there.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
Maybe Sam wants a Carbon bike......... Yes I had to go there, the door was wide open.:biggrin:
Well it's gotta be said, we still don't know for sure that Sam is going to Specialized do we? GT certainly have the money if they wanted to play ball.... that'd be awesome, although it would mean that suddenly every monkey would have an iDrive DH bike, I'd rather keep it a relatively unknown secret! :D

Dylan Dean

Monkey
Oct 12, 2007
southern California
not sure the reasoning... i agree, i though bryn & jill were great ambassadors for the brand. granted, jill didn't have much competition out ther, she was still rolling victory billboard for the brand. & with bryn. he's still a great rider! these past couple of years have been up & down for him. but he's such a great personality, i wouldn't care how well he did, he represents the brands & sport tremendously. he can still be a top 10 caliber rider, just needs to resort a few things & he'll be ripping it up again.

but GT will still have racers. they've been actively looking for gravity racers... but i thought it was to make a more powerful team, not to replace riders. should be exciting/interesting to see who they pick up! ;)

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
also i heard from a GT rep that they are trying to get a grassroots team going for 2009. they also said they were really gonna try and push and make a come back this year. so who knows what they are doing. hopefully something real good tho.

mccdh

Monkey
Sep 9, 2008
Comox
I can agree with that, if you're not representing like Sam, Greg or Peaty, it may not be financially worth it to companies (especially the big ones), so they will be cutting back some of their race promotions.
on the other hand 23 degrees and Trek are heading up new team.

i heard it was to have a 1.2m budget (edit, thats probably not that much for a whole teams expenses)

c2001

Paparazzi
Aug 10, 2001
where everyone is
This is their grassroots program.
"grass roots" just means they can sell direct to consumers/amateurs and still make the same amount of money per frame as they would if they went through a distributor or local shop.

all this talk of downhilling "hitting the big time" is bad news. it just means there is no loyalty except to that of the dollar. whoever has the most money flying about can buy whomever they want.

downhilling/gravity biking isn't a commodity, it's a way of life and that's how it will remain to those who actually give a sh!t about it.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
©2001;3055292 said:
"grass roots" just means they can sell direct to consumers/amateurs and still make the same amount of money per frame as they would if they went through a distributor or local shop.

all this talk of downhilling "hitting the big time" is bad news. it just means there is no loyalty except to that of the dollar. whoever has the most money flying about can buy whomever they want.

downhilling/gravity biking isn't a commodity, it's a way of life and that's how it will remain to those who actually give a sh!t about it.
Well it depends if they run a grassroots program like they did in the 90s that would mean hooking ams up with free rigs. GT was probably the biggest company for this back in the day.

wiscodh

Monkey
Jun 21, 2007
i love when reps tell people things.

I do not know, who hill signs for, and your rep could just be right.

Remember, they are SALES reps. They will say anything and do almost anything to make a sale.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
And it worked out for them quite well.:disgust:
It worked for them just fine. They had every racer out there drooling over Zaskars and LTS. Just because the people that bought them drove it into the ground has nothing to do with what happened previous to that.