Quantcast

Jim Marshall - RIP

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
if you have ever listened to anything with an ounce of "crunch" in the guitars, you owe this guy some respect.

http://www.latimes.com/news/custom/scimedemail/la-me-jim-marshall-20120406,0,1105011.story

It was the physical embodiment of rock's power and majesty — a wall of black, vinyl-clad cabinets, one atop the other, crowned with a rectangular box containing the innovative circuitry that revolutionized the music.

This was the famed Marshall stack, the amplification gear that has dominated rock stages since its introduction in the early 1960s, bestowing on guitarists the ability to achieve unprecedented volume and controlled distortion.

From the Who, Eric Clapton and Jimi Hendrix in the 1960s on through Peter Frampton, Van Halen, AC/DC, Motley Crue, Guns N' Roses and Nirvana in succeeding decades, the cursive "Marshall" emblazoned on the speakers has served as an inescapable backdrop signature.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
It was a unreliable Vox AC30 that was made as a Organ amp not a guitar amp that was the inspiration for the Marshall sound. Bob Marshalls engineer Dudley Craven figured out how to build a more reliable AC30 by using surplus Aircraft vacuum tubes. Those old inefficient tubes gave the "sound"... The other cool thing he did was as soon as those tubes became scarce he converted there functionality to SS. The marketing tool, R&D resources of Ritchie Blackmore and Jimi Hendrix may have also contributed to his success....

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
interesting. article says Fender Bassman.

i'm currently looking at a solid-state amp with a "tube" knob that adds that inefficiency. funny.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
The 2 Bass setups I do are for old school guys.

1. Ampeg BA-115HP, Fender jazz bass, no pedals. Gospel player

2. Hartke VX3500, Rickenbacker, everything and the kitchen sink. Country blues coverband guy.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Combo or head?

I also just realized I have owned two Marshall amps. I had the white mini stack (15w head and two 1x10 cabs) and a valve state combo. Not the ones to brag about, but Marshall nonetheless.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I've owned a AVT275 solidstate combo (150W, 2 x 12") and now a MG10 (10W, 1 x 6.5") as a small backup/loaner amp. Never could afford a "real" Marshall amp in the past, and now that I can I'm not into it enough anymore to spend that kind of coin. And if I were, it would likely be on a Mesa Boogie.

EDIT - come to think of it, both Marshall amps I've owned have had the distortion cut out at a certain volume level.....hmm...

Last edited: