Quantcast

Jim Thorpe, PA

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
Who's going this year? T-minus 5 days or so. I'll be there. Rochester :monkey: s?

I haven't ridden my bike in two weeks..... :mad: I'll be the slow one sucking wind and swatting flies.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Is that next weekend? I've been meaning to do that shindig one of these years, but we have the 24 hour race the next weekend :think:

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
If you weren't already aware I'll be there with Jackson and some Non-monkeys.

Also Ghettorigged talked about meeting up at Town Night as well.

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
stosh said:
If you weren't already aware I'll be there with Jackson and some Non-monkeys.

Also Ghettorigged talked about meeting up at Town Night as well.
How could I forget?

I'm thinking I might come up on Friday instead and just take a free day off that I've already arranged by working tomorrow.....

cya there.

MtnBikerNJ

Monkey
Mar 5, 2003
jerrrrrsey
me too. i think instigator already said we wasn't around that weekend. a few others as well. i don't think rochester will be representedat all actually.

yea spin you should sleep all day thursday and unwind.

i'm still sick and if today's ride is any indication, i'll be behind you.

oh, and i keep trying to get pete to go, but he won't take his skirt off...i think he thinks is all XC spandex racerboys. either that or he's afraid of camping...

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I won't be there this year :( First time in a long time. I just couldn't get it together this year. I will be there next year I hope. Spin are you coming up to the Monkeyfest? ....jdcamb

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
MtnBikerNJ said:
oh, and i keep trying to get pete to go, but he won't take his skirt off...i think he thinks is all XC spandex racerboys. either that or he's afraid of camping...
What do you mean, Pete rides more XC than anything else. He hasn't been riding much lately though so he is probably thinking he is too slow - I wouldn't know how slow cause its been so long since I've ridden with him. He always tells me how much he wants to ride a few days before the weekend and then bails when the day comes :blah:

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
jdcamb said:
I won't be there this year :( First time in a long time. I just couldn't get it together this year. I will be there next year I hope. Spin are you coming up to the Monkeyfest? ....jdcamb
I'm trying to go to Monkeyfest. We'll just have to see what the massa says. What are the dates again?

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Last weekend in July-first weekend in Aug... something like the 30th-1st. There's a sticky about it here in the lounge with the dates and some details.

MtnBikerNJ

Monkey
Mar 5, 2003
jerrrrrsey
syadasti said:
What do you mean, Pete rides more XC than anything else. He hasn't been riding much lately though so he is probably thinking he is too slow - I wouldn't know how slow cause its been so long since I've ridden with him. He always tells me how much he wants to ride a few days before the weekend and then bails when the day comes :blah:
yea I know he rides more that way.. just last year I remember him saying something about "hammerheads." but hel! he should know that there are people that are slower (like me)... i think it has more to do with camping. IMHO.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Just out of curiosity... how many bikes are people bringing, and what types (HT, XC, FR, etc.)?

Anyone ridden down there... what's the terrain like?

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Anything over 35 lbs, HT or FS, is complete overkill and will only serve to slow you down - i.e. your slower friends will encourage you to ride it :D I speak from experience as last year I had a 37-38 lbs. Azonic Saber and the years before I rode normal bikes :P

This year I'll be sticking around the optimal mark of 27-30 lbs. My Titus Locomoto with heavy duty wheelset.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
syadasti said:
Anything over 35 lbs, HT or FS, is complete overkill and will only serve to slow you down - i.e. your slower friends will encourage you to ride it :D I speak from experience as last year I had a 37-38 lbs. Azonic Saber and the years before I rode normal bikes :P

This year I'll be sticking around the optimal mark of 27-30 lbs. My Titus Locomoto with heavy duty wheelset.
That's cool... how are the trails? Rocky/Rooty, or mostly hardpack?

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Rocky, technical in some spots. Its a hard pack fine gravel with mud in some spots. It drains well and its rained at least one or two days out of the 3 years I've attended. The race course a town or two over probably has the best legal riding in the area.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
I probably will - looks like nobody wants to ride Merle Mtn near Carbondale, PA on the way - I had hoped to ride there and then just setup at JT...

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I don't know Merle Mtn, but carbondale isn't that far out of the way for me. What's the riding like? I could probably be persuaded to stop for a ride on the way down.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
It's really funny because I used to live about 45min from Jim Thorpe... well I should say that is where my family is from both sides of it and I've always heard them talk about these towns.... so now it's funny that I'm older and I remember all the stories my grandpa would tell me about the coal mines and fishing in these towns... but now I'm riding my bike there.... odd....
sorry.. to interrupt....

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Anyone else for Carbondale - its worth definately it! I am driving from the South so its like 1-1.5 hours out of the way for me to drive to Merle/Fell - its that good :D