Quantcast

Jim Thorpe & Tamaqua?

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
A few years back I met a bunch of great Monkeys at Mountain bike weekend. We got to ride some great trails at Jim Thorpe, eat great food, and have some "SO-DA"
Stosh, treesaw, Sq-earl, Echo, Jackson and some more were there.

we went riding in another area , I believe it was called Tamaqua. The trails there we a lot of fun. Does anyone know where I can get trail maps of these trails? whats the park called ? etc? any help would do.

I am going to be in that area next weekend and would love to hit them up

r464

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2006
Earth
I sent you a PM with some info that you may be able to use to track down some folks with good information.

I know that there is a publication out that is a guide to Jim Thorpe, but the problem is that things become out of date quickly, and access to some of those areas may not be what they were when the book was printed.

You'd definitely be better off with some first-hand accounts regarding what is happening there currently.

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
I am another one you can pm about info if you'd like. I'd love to get another MTB weekend going in this area but support seems to be less than optimum.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Jim Thorpe was cool when you could still ride Coal Cracker/Pisgah and then hit Tamaqua on the way home. With Pisgah closed It's not worth the trip. I would prefer Merli Sarnoski and Proctor as a weekend trip instead. Merli being a east coast destination in of its self. Camping nearby is awesome. I find the facilities to be very clean and safe in the area. If you want to expand your horizons you can make the trip to State College to add a couple of additional days of riding into the mix.

hooples3

Fuggetaboutit!
Mar 14, 2005
Brooklyn
What are you doing down in that area next weekend?
I am surprising my wife with a little get away romantic weekend

a friend bought a house about 40 minutes from Jim Thorpe..so we will go see them and then i will surprise her by taking her to Jim Thorpe. I was hoping to get into JT for at least a day or two. It is the first get-away trip I took with her when we started dating 11 years ago.
I will have my bike with me cause my friend said he wants to check out the trails near his house, so i figured i'd hit up tamaqua too.

So stosh.. any idea where I can get a trail map for there?? I remember someone forgetting their helmet at that place and driving back to the camp grounds to get it..:poster_oops:
that was a fun weekend!!:monkeydance:

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
40 minutes which way from JT?? If you're closer to Allentown, we have some pretty good trails in the Lehigh Valley that are equal or maybe better than Tamaqua. Nothing like JT but there are alot of trails you can't ride anymore. Consider the LV.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
yeah do you know what town your friend is in? There was a place in Pottsville that had a lot of great maps but i'm not sure if they had maps of Tamaqua. Aubrey and I rode there recently and we didn't need a map. On the other hand I would not want to get lost in some old coal strippins if I didn't know where I was going.

r464

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2006
Earth
40 minutes which way from JT?? If you're closer to Allentown, we have some pretty good trails in the Lehigh Valley that are equal or maybe better than Tamaqua. Nothing like JT but there are alot of trails you can't ride anymore. Consider the LV.
Mini Monkey Fest!