Quantcast

Jiminy resurrection?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
At the last mount snow race, I heard rumors kicking around that Jiminy had been resurrected by some locals via the mountain management. Is that true? Are you out there kindly trail gurus? I would love to head back there, Jiminy was cheap and had great vert and trails, but they gave up on them and it wasn't worth the drive anymore. I'd love to hear that they're back in action.

Last edited:

schwaaa31

Turbo Monkey
Jul 30, 2002
Clinton Massachusetts
Don't give up on Jiminy just yet. At the same race, I heard they've given trail upkeep duties to the guys from Action Sports racing in Ct. Word is the trails are in great shape. I'm going to make a trip out sometime this summer if you're down.
P.S. We're headed to Killington for the race this weekend. Schoon can't make it, but there's plenty of room in the condo if you're interested.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
I would love to but this is family style weekend so I can't make it. The race trail is like the best one on the mountain- the lower section is one of my favorites of all time. Of all time.

I would love to head out to jiminy some time though, just let me know when. September is slow and october as well, they usually stay open late, and as the season gets later, it gets colder, which works for me!

Last edited:

Eastern States Cup

Turbo Monkey
Feb 29, 2008
East Coast
I was at Attitash for the first time at the ESC race. I was really impressed with the trails there. Wish it was a bit closer for me but def worth the travel. We are planning on two ESC races there next year.

I have also heard Jiminy is getting some much needed maintence, I plan on visiting in August and discussing hosting an ESC race there next year. The trails when clear are fun for a day of fast shredding, but only if the big lift is in operation.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
I was at Attitash for the first time at the ESC race. I was really impressed with the trails there. Wish it was a bit closer for me but def worth the travel. We are planning on two ESC races there next year.

I have also heard Jiminy is getting some much needed maintence, I plan on visiting in August and discussing hosting an ESC race there next year. The trails when clear are fun for a day of fast shredding, but only if the big lift is in operation.
Agreed. I had an absolute blast at Attitash, some of the most fun I have had riding in a while.

The race course was tech and varied and fun, the 7 or 8 other trails I rode endlessly were super fun. Alternate lines, varied stuff, lots and lots of fun.

If this shoulder holds up, and I dont need surgery, I will be using this season pass again if I can find someone to go with!!

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Apologies to all, I am retarded.

I meant Jiminy in all instances. I've heard Jiminy is being refurbed by locals. I would love to get out there again, I just want o hear it's true before I do.

bigh

Chimp
Jul 17, 2008
Omacron Persei 8
Hey guys, schwaaa is right. Our team along with a few other regulars at Jiminy have been asked to sweep the trails on a weekly basis in order get them back to what they once were. there has been a lot of clean up on all the trails and talk of building new ones/improving whats there. We have been up there a couple times now since they've opened this season and the trails are mint. Big thanks to Darrell for getting Jiminy back into shape.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
This is good news for sure. I always loved Jiminy but the past couple seasons were a bit of a let down. Especially good news since I now live an hour closer to the hill than I previously did.

The old liftie with the pipe is a goddamned legend as well.

say 10

Chimp
Jul 30, 2004
NH
Hey guys, schwaaa is right. Our team along with a few other regulars at Jiminy have been asked to sweep the trails on a weekly basis in order get them back to what they once were. there has been a lot of clean up on all the trails and talk of building new ones/improving whats there. We have been up there a couple times now since they've opened this season and the trails are mint. Big thanks to Darrell for getting Jiminy back into shape.
Awesome news! Always loved my trips out there and glad it's finally getting maint attention.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
So true. I hope they modify the lifts slightly (use a bungee cord mmmkay?) so that the bikes don't slap around at the top, but I'm super glad to hear they're actually doing work. Hopefully the ESC will visit next year and breathe even more life into the place. I remember some trails there as being super fun.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
So true. I hope they modify the lifts slightly (use a bungee cord mmmkay?) so that the bikes don't slap around at the top, but I'm super glad to hear they're actually doing work. Hopefully the ESC will visit next year and breathe even more life into the place. I remember some trails there as being super fun.
Just hold onto the bike when you're getting to the top, ya noob.

k8piranha

Chimp
Nov 30, 2010
I have also heard Jiminy is getting some much needed maintence, I plan on visiting in August and discussing hosting an ESC race there next year.
Sweeeeeet, that would be so cool! Jiminy was my favorite racecourse back on the collegiate circuit. :D

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
do you ever ride with friends? or do you take individual chairs to the top? it's easy to hold onto one bike, but I like to ride the lift with people. three per chair, one bike per chair. Therefore, bungee.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
do you ever ride with friends? or do you take individual chairs to the top? it's easy to hold onto one bike, but I like to ride the lift with people. three per chair, one bike per chair. Therefore, bungee.
What are these friends you speak of?

I do what you do as well (1 bike per chair, 3-4 guys per chair). However it is a DH bike and a few slaps against a pole covered in foam is probably the least abuse it will be seeing that day.

EDIT - and the bungees would come with their own TLD storage bag.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
hahaha...I used to not care because I had a brooklyn with profile cranks- the chairs probably got more banged up than the bike did...but now I've got saint cranks and an aluminum frame...and while it's strong, I'd still rather not have it slamming off the side of a steel chair, when a small TLD designer bungee cord would keep it tight to the chair.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I bet if you asked nicely the old dude with the pipe could use his jedi mind tricks to keep the chair stable as it rolled into the platform. We all know that pipe possesses SOME type of magical powers.

Picture the Bewitched chick twitching her nose to some witchcraft move. I bet the dude could puff a ring of smoke from his pipe and the chair will be frozen in position.

Last edited:

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
there are probably worse things in life than standing at the top of that mountain helping the occasional tourist and lifting the occasional bike, all while puffing a pipe filled with mountain tobaccy.

Maybe a road trip is in order... I rode there a few times when it was ultra cold out. I was the only one that had brakes.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
there are probably worse things in life than standing at the top of that mountain helping the occasional tourist and lifting the occasional bike, all while puffing a pipe filled with mountain tobaccy.

Maybe a road trip is in order... I rode there a few times when it was ultra cold out. I was the only one that had brakes.
Count me in. I know I bailed a couple years ago when you and Schoon went, but my mangina has been thoroughly cleaned of sand since.

I actually haven't been DHing yet this year, and it's almost August. Complete BS. Thought I think I may be going to Whiteface in Aug or Sept....

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
monkeyfest. It's worth it.

We'll plan something for august or sept. Maybe we can get a bunch of people for a non-race weekend. Looks like they're open till mid october. I'm planning on heading to WF for the sep 11 race, don't know if I'll make it out besides then- it's just too far.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
monkeyfest. It's worth it.

We'll plan something for august or sept. Maybe we can get a bunch of people for a non-race weekend. Looks like they're open till mid october. I'm planning on heading to WF for the sep 11 race, don't know if I'll make it out besides then- it's just too far.
I was just at KT two weekends ago. Rode a crapload of the XC stuff and hike-a-bike'd the DH stuff (lift wasn't open). Wish I had my passport so I could go up to Bromont for a day like we did during MF 2 years ago.

A friend of mine's GF's family has a house on Saranac Lake.....the past 2-3 years we'll stay there for a long weekend, ride WF one of those days and hang out on the boat the other day. Super fun time.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
if you ever need a warm body for that trip, let me know. Saranac is gorgeous, and the lake isn't bad either. I love the riding at whiteface, just too far for a day trip. I might have more flexibility next year...maybe...

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
I'm excited to hear Jiminy's back. Nice to have a closer place to go.

I'm in Lake Plastered right now for a family outing. Came up a day early and rode Whiteface today. Trails are as ragged and few as ever. Also, I was the only person on the upper mountain for most of the day.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
I'm excited to hear Jiminy's back. Nice to have a closer place to go.

I'm in Lake Plastered right now for a family outing. Came up a day early and rode Whiteface today. Trails are as ragged and few as ever. Also, I was the only person on the upper mountain for most of the day.
Interesting to hear that. I've been once in each of the past 2 years and the trails were pretty solid. Granted 2 years ago I happened to be there during the 5k race so I'm assuming they groomed the trails pretty good before that.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
I am pretty/really skeptical.
Unless they are logging thousands of hours into switchbacking and de-steeping mountain left or trucking in dirt there isn't any space or dirt left on the mountain. There are multiple new wicked-wide ski trails, the mountain coasters, windmill, windmill substation, ropes course and of course there is the fact that the erosion on the existing trails is pretty horrible, I consider a few of them destroyed.
If that place was national forest I think that the trails would be closed by now.

Hopefully my saltiness and skepticism will be proven wrong. I've had the top 5 best runs of my life there.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
if you don't want to ride ****ty trails...wait, that's why we all stayed home from jiminy.

I'm willing to be a test mule. Jiminy was awesome. The butt puckering steeps on mountain left were awesome. There was some good flow to the right. The trails were massively eroded a year ago, but I'm confident a little effort could patch them up.

schaus889

Chimp
Jul 21, 2008
NY
I rode there the past two sundays, and I love it there. I'm going to be doing some trail maintenance this sunday to get another trail section opened up for the season. The trails are in prime condition since its been super dry and hot the last couple weeks and will be good this weekend too. I'll try and upload some photos soon of some of the decently sized drops and natural features there.

Its definitely worth checking out if you're local and looking to check out some new terrain, and at $26 bucks you can't beat it. Unfortunately they don't do rentals anymore, but the lifts spin until 5pm saturday and sunday.

It is a family resort during the summer and they have a lot of other stuff going on around the base area (alpine slide, ropes course, bungee tramps for kids). They do require bikes be walked around these areas which is definitely understandable given the nature of the place.

Awesome place to ride, easily on par with mt snow in my opinion, if not better due to the amount of terrain open for biking. Come check it out and keep an eye out for us working in the trees.

Cheers