Quantcast

JMAC, Indieboy, and anyone else with sponsors

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Originally posted by JMAC
With road bikes is it better to get a used one or new.
if i were you, i'd just go ahead and get a new one, b/c most roadies neglect the he/ll out of their bikes. the only way you'd get a good used road bike is to get one from a pro rider that was a back up bike.. either that or a mechnic's personal bike, mechnics almot always keep their bikes up very well.

LostBoyScout

Monkey
Jul 28, 2002
Vancouver BC
Ugh Cannondale? No thanks!

Titus are sweet. Soo sweet.

But indieboy is the luckiest monkey in the world, to be sponsored by IF :eek: There is NO other company I'd rather be sponsored by! Well, I wouldn't mind racing for Jericho, or Seven, or Merlin... :D

You have to remember that sponsorship is a business deal. No, not everyone deserves free stuff because they want it. It's obviously not how the world works - you have to EARN what you get in a sponsorship just like you would working. So that means commiting to racing as much as possible, being an overall good person, and support your sponsors like you work for them.

It's possible to get sponsors in sport class but not easy, nor normal. Usually sport riders who are sponsored either a) have good connections, or b) are very good at supporting their sponsor.

You are best off trying to get a bike shop to give you some sort of small sponsorship. Maybe just a discount on parts, and a Jersey qwith their name on it. Keep that sponsor happy, and you will find yourself getting a better deal from them, or you can add it to your resume along with a contact and/or letter of recommendation, and you're chances of getting another sponsor are greater!

And TRAIN LIKE HELL to move up to the front of the pack, and onto Expert :) That will definitely work wonders! ;)

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Originally posted by LostBoyScout
Ugh Cannondale? No thanks!

Titus are sweet. Soo sweet.

But indieboy is the luckiest monkey in the world, to be sponsored by IF :eek: There is NO other company I'd rather be sponsored by! Well, I wouldn't mind racing for Jericho, or Seven, or Merlin... :D

You have to remember that sponsorship is a business deal. No, not everyone deserves free stuff because they want it. It's obviously not how the world works - you have to EARN what you get in a sponsorship just like you would working. So that means commiting to racing as much as possible, being an overall good person, and support your sponsors like you work for them.

It's possible to get sponsors in sport class but not easy, nor normal. Usually sport riders who are sponsored either a) have good connections, or b) are very good at supporting their sponsor.

You are best off trying to get a bike shop to give you some sort of small sponsorship. Maybe just a discount on parts, and a Jersey qwith their name on it. Keep that sponsor happy, and you will find yourself getting a better deal from them, or you can add it to your resume along with a contact and/or letter of recommendation, and you're chances of getting another sponsor are greater!

And TRAIN LIKE HELL to move up to the front of the pack, and onto Expert :) That will definitely work wonders! ;)
yeah i'm lucky as hell, but iono bout the merlin deal yo lol. might as well be riding a litespeed :eek: and i began riding for IF when i was in sport, A. b/c i had connections and B. at the time they were looking for strong juniors to develop, so i was a bit lucky. but i worked up from a shop sponsorship. and you are completely right about it's a business deal. most companies want you to race as much as possible, but not so much that it starts to give you bad results from burn out. most sponsors want you to do well at races, but not only that but to support their product in whatever way you can do so. like me, i'm generally out at the races w/ an assload of catalogs in my courrier bag handing them out to ppl who are interested. it's also about supporting the products by companies that support you. that in the long run is how you get your team money and w/ out them you have no team.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Originally posted by JMAC
The fact is Giants and all bikes break just as much is C-dale. I've seen many broken AC frames. The scalple if set up right is really nice Chris Sauser one of the top riders in the world rides it and it doesn't slow him down.
That must of been a huge peice of gravel cause i have the CAAD 5 also and i've crashed loads of times having it fall down very steep decents hitting rocks on it's way down and there isn't any dents. You can't dent the frame from gravel hitting it the kid is probly full of **** and rather say a peice of gravel did it than admit he's clumsy and let his bike fall.
no that's not a load of crap, the wall thickness on a cdale are pretttttttttttttttttyyyyyyyy damn thin yo. i personally know a guy on his first ride on his cdale put a hole in his frame b/c of a rock that was kicked up and popped his DT....the DT is a very exposed area to any gravel (that can put dents in your frame, no lie)

NRSracer

Jamis Slayer
Sep 7, 2001
Baltimore
Originally posted by indieboy

no that's not a load of crap, the wall thickness on a cdale are pretttttttttttttttttyyyyyyyy damn thin yo. i personally know a guy on his first ride on his cdale put a hole in his frame b/c of a rock that was kicked up and popped his DT....the DT is a very exposed area to any gravel (that can put dents in your frame, no lie)
told ya so

LostBoyScout

Monkey
Jul 28, 2002
Vancouver BC
Originally posted by indieboy

yeah i'm lucky as hell, but iono bout the merlin deal yo lol. might as well be riding a litespeed :eek:
lol well i still like their road bikes for some reason :D and well i loved both companies till i learned a bit more about the industry... so it's tough to forget :D

but come on, this is the sexiest thing in the world!!

I am very big on the compact frame, both for looks and ride.. mmmmm

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Originally posted by LostBoyScout

lol well i still like their road bikes for some reason :D and well i loved both companies till i learned a bit more about the industry... so it's tough to forget :D

but come on, this is the sexiest thing in the world!!

I am very big on the compact frame, both for looks and ride.. mmmmm
no actually it's a big pile of poo lol. litespeed seems to not be able to get frames properly aligned even w/ those stupid carbon rear ends. i really don't like their bikes to begin w/ and espically b/c they use a carbon rear end. the only benefit those have is it helps a manufacter pump frames out their door faster. they do not make the frame that much lighter, actually in some causes it makes it heavier, and it does not really make the bike handle any better or take up any "road shock" out of the ride when in terms of steel and Ti. but in the case of al. it helps a little bit not much to really matter though. it's all a marketing scheme that they have sold to the masses and the masses have bit into it thinking 'ohhhhhh this is so much better" whatever dude lol. it's a load of crap. rant over

NRSracer

Jamis Slayer
Sep 7, 2001
Baltimore
wow, this went really off topic.

anyway, race seasons over now. will these results help get me a small sponsor ship

Fall season: 3rd
Maryland series: 4th, but i only did half the races
Virginia series: 3rd, but again only half the races

Individual race results:
1st
2nd
2nd
3rd
3rd
3rd
3rd
4th
5th
5th
6th (double flatted)

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Originally posted by The Toninator

damnit indie when will you learn that we are "Adults" and that we have to admit nothing!
lol jmac isn't an "adult" and those besides you can't admit anything when you don't know anything :devil: