Quantcast

Job change this late? Maybe.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Along similar lines, this is in all likelihood my wife's last year of teaching. She *loves* the kids, but parents and administration have pretty much driven her to the breaking point. She is now exploring the possibilities of moving into radiology of some sort. Think ultrasound or MRI tech. I'm very much in favor of this. Teaching is making her a headcase, and pretty much any medical tech of any sort is an immediate raise. She will however have to go back to school for what, at this point, seems to be a minimum of two years. Will make for lean times, but we've done it before, and the long term picture is better. Hopefully, she will also be much happier.
has your wife considered working on airplanes?

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Well... at 36, my life is kinda cautionary tale.

Went to college in the States, dropped out, moved back to Peru... slacked off for a couple years in my early 20s until I got dumped by a girl who said "I dont see myself long-term with a guy who sleeps until noon"... then got my first "real" job (in a huge corporation) at age 24 doing technical billing.

Worked my ass off, delivered record performance evaluations, then results, then profits... rose up the ranks, travelled the world doing business.... and about 10 years later, I got my first C-level job.

Now am a C-level at a medium/large sized company, got fancy perks (a fancy company car, fancy meals paid, busines trips to vegas/europe, etc).... but my job requires me to be a heartless asshole.

I work about 60 hours a week, including saturdays and some holidays, see my kids very little, management suck, I have to fire people almost everyweek and decide on pay cuts and layoffs, and suck it up to the board.
The whole "promotion" thing is way overated. I enjoyed work the most when I was "doing" actual technical work and not punching numbers in excel, pitching business plans in excel and putting whatever facade needed to extract performance/results from people.

I´ve seen people cry in my office from news/decisions I´ve made/delivered. I´ve been backstabbed a lot of times, I´ve seen talented people I´ve fired against my judgement be unemployed for months and their careers destroyed. I´ve made mistakes that have costed some people their livehoods and I´ve knowingly poached employees from great-places-to-work jobs, only for them to be miserable at high-stress positions.
I dont see an exit for at least 10 years. I think almost every week I´ll regret most of this by the time am 60.
dude we're the same age?

also, this right here is why i don't wanna go into management. it's not *quite* as bad where i am, but there is definitely a level of soulless fuckery that is required that i want nothing to do with. and the direction my company is (sadly) heading there's little (no) opportunity to advance outside of management. plus, my job has devolved to the point where >95% of what i do is tedious paperwork. great use of an engineering degree.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
I try not to be evil. If you use that vehicle to promote your career, you can bet there will be someone moar unethical who is sending your ass down sooner or later. And I try hard to be a decent human being, too.

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
I like being a doctor. Might have to make a choice whether to step into a vice chair role in a year or two. That seems like it involves a lot of meetings. Unsure if want.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
The work relationship is a two-way street. People sometimes forget that. If the company doesn't take care of you, or the work doesn't tick any important personal boxes, the company isn't doing THEIR part. I've never been too shy about asking for what I need/want w/r/t work or projects, development, etc. Ask for everything you want and see what happens. No ultimatums, no threats, just what you want. There is a saying about not making 100% of the shots you don't take. I believe that.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
The work relationship is a two-way street. People sometimes forget that. If the company doesn't take care of you, or the work doesn't tick any important personal boxes, the company isn't doing THEIR part. I've never been too shy about asking for what I need/want w/r/t work or projects, development, etc. Ask for everything you want and see what happens. No ultimatums, no threats, just what you want. There is a saying about not making 100% of the shots you don't take. I believe that.
You should tell that company you want TOMORROW off. :D

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
The closer I get to retirement, the more I realize it’s a pipe dream. I have a decent size nest egg, but it’s not enough to set me free carelessly about the world. I don’t think I’ll ever have that much money banked up, and I’m guessing that any career change will leave you in a similar boat. Of course, more comfort is always better than less comfort.

The other thing that I see is that nobody I know has retired. They may have officially retired from their job, but they have all continue to work. I have family members who just keep going well into their 70s. My current boss is “retirement age” and has said that he’s going to keep going for a while. I think people who reach retirement age realize that they need something to do with their day, so working tends to fill that void.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Moral of the story. Life is more enjoyable with you actually *do* something of value.
Fixing cars, curing people, teaching, farming are all rewarding jobs. Most dont pay well tho

Your inmediate boss probably agrees with that; and his boss as well.
But try pitching that to a board of director, a chairman or an owner.

Everything a company is or does can be reduced to a cost opportunity for owners/board. If you fall below a certain threshold, its goodbye for you at best or a liquidation/merge for the workforce at worst.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Moral of the story. Life is more enjoyable with you actually *do* something of value.
Fixing cars, curing people, teaching, farming are all rewarding jobs. Most dont pay well tho

Your inmediate boss probably agrees with that; and his boss as well.
But try pitching that to a board of director, a chairman or an owner.

Everything a company is or does can be reduced to a cost opportunity for owners/board. If you fall below a certain threshold, its goodbye for you at best or a liquidation/merge for the workforce at worst.
I know. Also ...

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
I know. Also ...
Dont hate the playa, hate the game.

Shareholders/owners of the wallet are the ones making up the rules, which in turn are pretty much set by the market... made up of all of us creating price wars and strengthning the value of capital by consumption on credit.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Dont hate the playa, hate the game.

Shareholders/owners of the wallet are the ones making up the rules, which in turn are pretty much set by the market... made up of all of us creating price wars and strengthning the value of capital by consumption on credit.
I don't hate either. It is what it is.
Still though, it's hard to complain about a situation until you know you've done everything in your power to try and improve it. If that means having a talk with your mgmt, even if they're sure to dismiss, then I say go for it.

Nick
- terminal idealist

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
Well... at 36, my life is kinda cautionary tale.

Went to college in the States, dropped out, moved back to Peru... slacked off for a couple years in my early 20s until I got dumped by a girl who said "I dont see myself long-term with a guy who sleeps until noon"... then got my first "real" job (in a huge corporation) at age 24 doing technical billing.

Worked my ass off, delivered record performance evaluations, then results, then profits... rose up the ranks, travelled the world doing business.... and about 10 years later, I got my first C-level job.

Now am a C-level at a medium/large sized company, got fancy perks (a fancy company car, fancy meals paid, busines trips to vegas/europe, etc).... but my job requires me to be a heartless asshole.

I work about 60 hours a week, including saturdays and some holidays, see my kids very little, management suck, I have to fire people almost everyweek and decide on pay cuts and layoffs, and suck it up to the board.
The whole "promotion" thing is way overated. I enjoyed work the most when I was "doing" actual technical work and not punching numbers in excel, pitching business plans in excel and putting whatever facade needed to extract performance/results from people.

I´ve seen people cry in my office from news/decisions I´ve made/delivered. I´ve been backstabbed a lot of times, I´ve seen talented people I´ve fired against my judgement be unemployed for months and their careers destroyed. I´ve made mistakes that have costed some people their livehoods and I´ve knowingly poached employees from great-places-to-work jobs, only for them to be miserable at high-stress positions.
I dont see an exit for at least 10 years. I think almost every week I´ll regret most of this by the time am 60.
I bet you have fired some of my friends’ kids.

Last edited:

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
The closer I get to retirement, the more I realize it’s a pipe dream. I have a decent size nest egg, but it’s not enough to set me free carelessly about the world. I don’t think I’ll ever have that much money banked up, and I’m guessing that any career change will leave you in a similar boat. Of course, more comfort is always better than less comfort.

The other thing that I see is that nobody I know has retired. They may have officially retired from their job, but they have all continue to work. I have family members who just keep going well into their 70s. My current boss is “retirement age” and has said that he’s going to keep going for a while. I think people who reach retirement age realize that they need something to do with their day, so working tends to fill that void.
When you're retired will you be able to roam carelessly about the world? Money is one thing. Your health is another... When I am not feeling well I fight to get home and climb into bed. I am retired. I didn't think I had enough money when I retired. It turns out I did. I work on bikes and cook when I can. But I do not need too. Most of your earning potential is the time before you retire. Maximize that and then get out. Work sucks... It is always on somebody else's terms. I enjoy the freedom I have to do anything I want on any given day.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
When you're retired will you be able to roam carelessly about the world? Money is one thing. Your health is another... When I am not feeling well I fight to get home and climb into bed. I am retired. I didn't think I had enough money when I retired. It turns out I did. I work on bikes and cook when I can. But I do not need too. Most of your earning potential is the time before you retire. Maximize that and then get out. Work sucks... It is always on somebody else's terms. I enjoy the freedom I have to do anything I want on any given day.
It certainly matters when your health becomes an issue. I’ve got no family so if I can’t pay for help, it’s going to come from friends. At the rate I’m deteriorating now, my old age could get costly quickly. Of course, my costs change drastically if I move out of SoCal, as @kazlx mentioned.

Obviously the game is to guess how much you need with the biggest variable being how long you need it. It’s better to die and leave some money on the table than the other way around. Of course if making the money kills you faster it’s a lose-lose situation.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
It certainly matters when your health becomes an issue. I’ve got no family so if I can’t pay for help, it’s going to come from friends. At the rate I’m deteriorating now, my old age could get costly quickly. Of course, my costs change drastically if I move out of SoCal, as @kazlx mentioned.

Obviously the game is to guess how much you need with the biggest variable being how long you need it. It’s better to die and leave some money on the table than the other way around. Of course if making the money kills you faster it’s a lose-lose situation.
My dad always said. If you don't have anyone who will wipe your ass when you can't. You better be able to afford to pay someone to take care of you. I am all set....

Last edited:

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I don't even care about a bigger house. We have about 1900 sq ft now and it's more than sufficient. I think the most appealing part about out of state is a nice piece of property without people right next to you, a comfortable size shop and a fraction of the cost of living. The thought seriously crosses my mind at least once a day that we have enough equity in our house currently to leave and pay cash, or at least a substantial chunk, for a property somewhere out of state, and have very few bills. My wife and I could effectively do whatever we feel like for work for the minimal cash we would need month to month with basically all of our largest monthly expenditures handled.

Last edited:

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
I must say, I'm jealous of a lot of these epic, big mountain rides I see some guys post here. We really don't have that kind of stuff here. The few times I've ridden stuff like that I just fall in love with biking again. I enjoy riding here, but I've been quite a few places I like a whole lot more. I hate the desert other than just mixing it up every now and then.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I must say, I'm jealous of a lot of these epic, big mountain rides I see some guys post here. We really don't have that kind of stuff here. The few times I've ridden stuff like that I just fall in love with biking again. I enjoy riding here, but I've been quite a few places I like a whole lot more. I hate the desert other than just mixing it up every now and then.
There is some great riding around here and more is being built all the time. There is a TON of riding within an hour or so drive in most directions as well. Portland itself is lacking, but Forest Park is starting to get some legal trails that are legit.

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
There is some great riding around here and more is being built all the time. There is a TON of riding within an hour or so drive in most directions as well. Portland itself is lacking, but Forest Park is starting to get some legal trails that are legit.
We just did that Oakridge trip and I freakin' loved it. I love the big alpine rides.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
We just did that Oakridge trip and I freakin' loved it. I love the big alpine rides.
I really want to get up there and hit some more rides, it's years since I passed through and rode near Westfir and just did a single ride.

Montana rider

Turbo Monkey
Mar 14, 2005
***Disclaimer: Montana is full***

Montana 8-). I actually like the PNW kind of terrain. Trees, green, some rain, etc.
Sounds like NW MT would fit the bill -- I'm very fond of the Yaak area which is nowhere'sville, but it's really wet and has some old growth Cedar groves re: PNW...

But I'd stay far away from the major cities. Probably ideally maybe 15-30min from a larger city, but far enough away to have an acre+.
Major cities = Billings and Missoula, followed by Butte, Helena, BZN from least desirable to most IMO.

But I can see the argument for Helena as top biking 'city'.

An acre+ can be had quite easily almost anywhere with your So Cal dollars.

Given your preferences, Whitefish area would be close to perfect, though can be a bit RELIGIOUS / "White Nationalist" or Red Lodge area also has the goods with less kooks...

***Disclaimer Montana is full***

ETA -- Big cities is not accurate for MT, Montana is one big city with a lot of neighborhoods that are really far apart...

I had forgotten about Great Falls, but not everyone can be @Serial Midget

1570573625974.png

1570573706779.png

1570573729164.png

1570573746940.png

1570573762694.png

Last edited:
For most of my 23 years at the last company I worked with, I had a "manager" who was an enabler. At one point I went to the person and said that I'd kind of like x for a raise, made clear that it was what I'd like, not a demand. Got it and then some.