Quantcast

Job interview today! Nervous!

5150dhbiker

Turbo Monkey
Nov 5, 2007
Santa Barbara, CA
Ok so I have had many endless rants about my current job on here and finally got the call I have been waiting for. Here's a quick background of my current job. I work at Best Buy as a car stereo installer and have been screwed over many times there. I was hired and told I would not have to work weekends and still get full time hours. When management changed (almost 3 years ago), that all changed and they took away my weekends off. Then they hired another installer and cut my hours from 40/week down to around 7hrs/week. After that guy quit I got my hours back...until now. Now I'm lucky to get about 20hrs/week and was forced to now work in sales as well as installing. Now I found it somewhat fair that they want an installer selling the product and was fine with that....but last month they added on that I have to install stereos, sell stereos and sell appliances every day. Plus there's a new company policy that we cannot ask for a single day off from November to the end of January and if we call in sick even once we need a doctor’s note.

Soooooo, this got me pretty pissed off and started applying for other jobs. One of the places I applied to got me really excited....CMC Rescue. So I was beyond stoked to get a call two days ago from them telling me they want an interview so of course I said yes! The cool thing is, this company only has about 20 employees, has been in business for around 30 years and I only work monday-friday 8am-5pm with full benefits! I don't get crap for benefits at Best Buy plus the pay is better here.

REALLY hoping this interview goes well. I have never been in an interview and not gotten the job so we'll see....luckily it's only one interview and not multiple interviews. Anyways...pretty excited and nervous at the same time. Wish me luck!!!

Oh and here's the company. http://www.cmcrescue.com/

Last edited:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Man, I was so spoiled when I did stereos. I worked a lot of late nights and way too many weekends for my liking, but I also ONLY worked on show systems, then I also got to go to shows. Including going to IASCA Nationals (and winning) twice. I could have never been an installer at Best Buy/Fry's/Anyplace that sells washers too...

I looked into installing after the Navy, but there weren't many shops doing the level of installs I wanted to do. Now the rescue gig looks bad ass! Just don't show them your avatar. :rofl:

5150dhbiker

Turbo Monkey
Nov 5, 2007
Santa Barbara, CA
I looked into installing after the Navy, but there weren't many shops doing the level of installs I wanted to do. Now the rescue gig looks bad ass! Just don't show them your avatar. :rofl:
Yeah it sucks haha. Well we have done some nice cars before and I just set up an install for the other guy in a Ferrari F430. Our shop has literally the best reputation and the least damage claims of any best buy in the country so they're gonna be loosing a damn good installer if I get this job haha. But yeah, I won't show them that photo :P

5150dhbiker

Turbo Monkey
Nov 5, 2007
Santa Barbara, CA
Well in a way I could see why they would. If it gets messed up...best buy for sure has the insurance to cover it. Some of the small shops around town are not doing too well so you never know...

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Yeah it sucks haha. Well we have done some nice cars before and I just set up an install for the other guy in a Ferrari F430. Our shop has literally the best reputation and the least damage claims of any best buy in the country so they're gonna be loosing a damn good installer if I get this job haha. But yeah, I won't show them that photo :P
We had a guy drive from Florida to California to have my brother install a stereo in a one-off convertible Testarossa, then flew home. We had it 2 weeks, then he flew out and drove it back with tunes up and the top down. He never questioned the miles we put on it. :rofl:

The labor alone on the bill was something like $20k and we used all Nakamichi hardware. It was very nice.

5150dhbiker

Turbo Monkey
Nov 5, 2007
Santa Barbara, CA
What's awesome is you are thrifty enough to buy a plane on a 7hr/week Best Buy income. Kudos!
Ummmm, that's my dad's plane that I use...not really my plane.

Anyways, it went really really well and she said I'll be hearing from her monday or tuesday to set up my second and final interview!

I was amazed to find out that CMC exports their products to China. Then again...if China had to make a rescue harness there would be a lot of deaths!

Austin Bike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 26, 2003
Duh, Austin
You might find a few nuggets here:

Career Advice

Most of it is about resumes, but there is some interview data in there.

Two words of advice: BE EARLY.

If you show up 30 minutes before the interview you will have time to fill in the stuff that they will put in front of you.

The worst thing you can do is show up 5 minutes before, then be handed 10 minutes worth of forms to fill out. Then they wonder why you walked into the interview room 5 minutes late.