Quantcast

Job interview tomorrow: Jacket or no jacket?

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Im thinking no jacket.
It's spring. This is a natural resources position requiring a lot of field work.
No sense dressing up like a banker, correct?

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
How 'formal' is it? I usually wear a coat with no tie to interviews.
If you are a referral in and it's a casual interview, put on some dockers, a button down, and maybe a sport coat. Assuming this is another public sector job?

You really need to give criteria around what the job is and with whom.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
If this is a position that you are qualified for because of your degree, wear the jacket. Every piece of interview advice I have ever gotten was to wear a suit.

Last edited:

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
How 'formal' is it? I usually wear a coat with no tie to interviews.
If you are a referral in and it's a casual interview, put on some dockers, a button down, and maybe a sport coat. Assuming this is another public sector job?

You really need to give criteria around what the job is and with whom.

Gonna go with the tie, but no coat I think.

Yes, public job.

Nobody ever said anything about this being casual or otherwise. Just show up with your info pretty much. I may be the only person getting an interview.

I'll make sure to order a samuel adams if we go out to lunch though.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
If this is a position that you are qualified for because of your degree, wear the jacket. Every piece of interview advice I have ever gotten was to wear a suit.
Yeah, I can see that. But then again, if these guys are sitting around in jeans when I get there....

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Okay, this is getting a little gay now, but I have to ask.

If I were interviewing for a job at a bank, engineering firm, etc. I wouldnt mind wearing a black suit or dark gray, red tie... whatever.

This is not that type of position at all. Shouldnt I wear brown, green? Who has a brown sport coat? I dont.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Yeah, I can see that. But then again, if these guys are sitting around in jeans when I get there....
I've never had a job interview where the guy sitting across from me was wearing a suit. When I interviewed for my current job the first thing they said was "forgot to mention you could dress casual", they certainly didn't hold it against me. Heard of plenty of examples where they held it against someone for not wearing a suit even if their job required real work clothes.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Gonna go with the tie, but no coat I think.

Yes, public job.

Nobody ever said anything about this being casual or otherwise. Just show up with your info pretty much. I may be the only person getting an interview.

I'll make sure to order a samuel adams if we go out to lunch though.
For most people, a tie sans coat if far less comfortable (mentally and physically) than a nice shirt and coat. The shirt and coat gives that comfort level to everyone in the room that it's still 'casual', but there's business to be done. The tie with no coat is awkward, as nobody wears that outside of an interview like situation.

Secondly on the no coat plan, think about if you were interviewing someone for that job. How would you want them to show up? Full suit is probably overkill; while tie with no coat shows an attempt to be more formal but failing. Hence my vote for button down, nice pants (khakis?), and a sports coat.

KavuRider

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2006
CT
I've never had a job interview where the guy sitting across from me was wearing a suit. When I interviewed for my current job the first thing they said was "forgot to mention you could dress casual", they certainly didn't hold it against me. Heard of plenty of examples where they held it against someone for not wearing a suit even if their job required real work clothes.
Agreed.
I always dress up for interviews, its shows that you care enough about the job to make the effort.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Agreed.
I always dress up for interviews, its shows that you care enough about the job to make the effort.
This is why I own a cowboy costume. Because I care more then may be appropriate... Just remember the Hot Dog stand is closed unless you have a permit or its a job in a Gay Juice Bar.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
For most people, a tie sans coat if far less comfortable (mentally and physically) than a nice shirt and coat. The shirt and coat gives that comfort level to everyone in the room that it's still 'casual', but there's business to be done. The tie with no coat is awkward, as nobody wears that outside of an interview like situation.

Secondly on the no coat plan, think about if you were interviewing someone for that job. How would you want them to show up? Full suit is probably overkill; while tie with no coat shows an attempt to be more formal but failing. Hence my vote for button down, nice pants (khakis?), and a sports coat.
Agreed. A tie without a jacket says "hey, I slapped a tie on; I mean serious business" like you're playing the part of a guy who wants a job. A jacket says you just dressed nicely like you're supposed to.

In any case, it's hard to over dress and have it be a mark against you. But you can certainly under dress.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
how about wearing the nicotine patch ON your eye?

ps: good thing you waited until the night before to think about it.
pps: good luck!!

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
There's only one chance to make that first impression so, if you really want the job, go all out. Black suit without dog hair, white shirt that has been ironed & red striped tie. Wear red socks if you want to be a rebel.

This is not that type of position at all. Shouldnt I wear brown, green? Who has a brown sport coat? I dont.
I don't own any sport coats but I do own olive, brown & taupe suits. The olive suit is the most versatile, no one I work with seems to own one.