Quantcast

Job interview tomorrow: Jacket or no jacket?

yuroshek

Turbo Monkey
Jun 26, 2007
Arizona!
I interviewed this past week, I wore a nice pair of dress pants, button up and a tie. The guys interviewing me had jeans, hats and GT shirts on... Needless to say dress up to how you feel. Don't want to be over the top but you don't want to underplay it neither.

jasride

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2006
PA
Wear all of your motorcycle gear. full face helmet, full leathers and boots, even if you're driving the pickup in. But when you get into the interviewing room, make sure your helmet is off and under your armpit to show full respect and attention.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
At least in IT, I wouldn't WANT to work at a company that dismissed me because I didn't have a suit/tie/jacket/whatever on.

Way back in the mid-90's I interviewed at an oil company at a high rise downtown... they asked me in the interview if I'd be willing to cut my hair for the job. I made my best effort not to jump over the table and throttle them (both of which were in suits) right then and there.

YMMV.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
This is the only option, period.

Taking the interview seriously enough to wear a suit is the only way you will be taken seriously enough to get the job.
I would hate to work in whatever industry you work in. I bought a suit in 1997 just because I wanted to look nice at the company holiday party (it was a big deal downtown). I've worn it a total of 4 times since.

I wear jeans and a polo shirt daily. I used to wear tshirt and shorts, but my wife says I'm too old to pull that off, so I dress a little nicer now, for her.

I don't feel comfortable in a tie and being comfortable in an interview is important to me. If I feel uncomfortable, I won't be relaxed. I've worn a tie twice to an interview and didn't get either job. I took that as a sign.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
They hired me.

Pretty sweet gig that I can even continue part time should I find something better. Basically Im doing a total biological inventory of some public land. Some of this will entail looking through a bunch of historical records. Some will require field collections, IDs, etc.

Im sort of uniquely qualified because I know how to ID algae, aquatic fly larvae and some other weird stuff outside of fish and your typical stream bugs. Kind of took the gig hoping I can turn it into something bigger, but for now Im happy. Wont actually get to start til may though.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
At least in IT, I wouldn't WANT to work at a company that dismissed me because I didn't have a suit/tie/jacket/whatever on.

Way back in the mid-90's I interviewed at an oil company at a high rise downtown... they asked me in the interview if I'd be willing to cut my hair for the job. I made my best effort not to jump over the table and throttle them (both of which were in suits) right then and there.

YMMV.
I wouldn't want to work at a place that hired hippies.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
I would hate to work in whatever industry you work in. I bought a suit in 1997 just because I wanted to look nice at the company holiday party (it was a big deal downtown). I've worn it a total of 4 times since.

I wear jeans and a polo shirt daily. I used to wear tshirt and shorts, but my wife says I'm too old to pull that off, so I dress a little nicer now, for her.

I don't feel comfortable in a tie and being comfortable in an interview is important to me. If I feel uncomfortable, I won't be relaxed. I've worn a tie twice to an interview and didn't get either job. I took that as a sign.
I work in professional placement, I wear a short sleeve golf or polo shirt to work daily.

If a candidate of mine shows up to interview and is not in a suit and tie they clearly have not taken the opportunity I have afforded them seriously.

Rarely do any of my candidates have to wear a suit and tie daily, but they damn well better interview in one and put their best foot forward.

I don't hate my industry, it pays my bills and pays for my hobbies quite well. I have no complaints.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
I actually ended up not wearing the jacket, but went with the tie. Just seemed right. As I expected it was entirely informal, but Im sure it didnt hurt.
It never hurts to be dressed better than the interviewer, it only hurts when you look like garbage.

Congrats on the new job :thumb:

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
I like my suits and sportcoats. I only wear suits to the office when I have important meetings (like, 2-3 times a year). The sportcoats are part of my regular office attire. :)

Hospital management = professional attire.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
<snip>

If a candidate of mine shows up to interview and is not in a suit and tie they clearly have not taken the opportunity I have afforded them seriously.

Rarely do any of my candidates have to wear a suit and tie daily, but they damn well better interview in one and put their best foot forward.

I don't hate my industry, it pays my bills and pays for my hobbies quite well. I have no complaints.
Definitely illustrates the differences in industries. When I'm interviewing a candidate for a position on the team a suit makes it appear as if he/she is trying a little TOO hard. I won't hold it against them, but as long as they're not in tattered jeans and a ripped up t-shirt I don't care what they're wearing.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Definitely illustrates the differences in industries. When I'm interviewing a candidate for a position on the team a suit makes it appear as if he/she is trying a little TOO hard. I won't hold it against them, but as long as they're not in tattered jeans and a ripped up t-shirt I don't care what they're wearing.
It can agree and see where you are coming from, I recruit engineering/manufacturing, from hourly supervisors on up to VP of engineering. I tell all candidates to suit up, I have never spoke to a manager who did not appreciate it.

I will have to ask out IT group, but for the most part most of their candidates wear suits to interviews from what I have seen as well.

Last edited:
I work in professional placement, I wear a short sleeve golf or polo shirt to work daily.

Sorry, but this is why I don't use "professional" screeners when hiring. "The opportunity I have afforded them"? :think: Get off your throne.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001

imagine if they had asked how you felt on the application of soap/water to your body daily.....

They hired me.

Pretty sweet gig that I can even continue part time should I find something better. Basically Im doing a total biological inventory of some public land. Some of this will entail looking through a bunch of historical records. Some will require field collections, IDs, etc.

Im sort of uniquely qualified because I know how to ID algae, aquatic fly larvae and some other weird stuff outside of fish and your typical stream bugs. Kind of took the gig hoping I can turn it into something bigger, but for now Im happy. Wont actually get to start til may though.
Congo-rats!

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Hospital management = professional attire.
Healthcare (even for software engineers) is "business casual" and tshirts are frowned on, even though I have never met or seen a client in person. What a messed up world we live in.

If I were in front of clients, I could understand the need to look presentable. But I don't see how wearing pants makes me write better code. :confused:

For interviews, I usually have a fresh 'do, shave, look presentable. But they are hiring me for my skills, not my fashion sense (or lack of).

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Sorry, but this is why I don't use "professional" screeners when hiring. "The opportunity I have afforded them"? :think: Get off your throne.
My throne?

I have access to positions that the general public doesn't for a reason. :thumb:

Most hiring managers that use our services do so because they don't have time to sift through hundreds of resumes for every opening, and most candidates that I find are not the nimrods just splattering their resume all over the place, they are highly qualified people who may not even know they are looking.

My throne says that I have scored over 25 people a good paying engineering job already in the calendar year of 2011.

Which is nothing but money in my pocket, so If those people can not take the interview seriously enough and are willing to tarnish my reputation (of providing excellent talent to my hiring managers who are currently begging me for more qualified people) then I will send them home before the manager even sees them.

My customers hire my people for a reason, and they like me for a reason, because I will not send anything sub par.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
On a side note, are you all done with school, BS? Is this your first "real" job with your degree outside of school?

Congrats on the gig, sounds like you'll enjoy yourself (important in my view)

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
My customers hire my people for a reason, and they like me for a reason, because I will not send anything sub par.
And my resume doesn't mention fashion, so I get interviews based on my skills and abilities. I don't show up looking like a slob.

I have never had a company pass me up based on interview attire, or have ever had anyone even mention what it was wearing for it. Guess Portland is just that way, though.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
On a side note, are you all done with school, BS? Is this your first "real" job with your degree outside of school?

Congrats on the gig, sounds like you'll enjoy yourself (important in my view)
I have been working for the last couple years and going to school. Kind of interesting how it works. I get paid as a researcher, but some of the research I do counts as my masters thesis work. Im funded by the govt. to do the work, and the university waives any tuition for grad classes. So basically Im on a contract that syncs up with my grad degree program, which ends in may. Im in the final edits of my masters thesis now, and I'll have to defend that this spring, but so far it's all been good.
So technically, this will be my first job post grad school, but not my first job since graduating with a BS.