Quantcast

Job Offer Q's

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Just got a job offer from a great company after a few months of funemployment. The offer is really pretty good (yay) but I'm always uncertain of whether I should negotiate higher, just because I have the opportunity to do so, or if I should just accept because it's a great offer with a good company...what say you poo flingers?

rav400

Monkey
Aug 31, 2009
The Right Coast
I've always heard from more experienced co-workers that, salaries offered for a position are usually pretty set, especially it is a large corporation. So most likely not much room on salary. However, I've been told if you want to negotiate, ask for more vacation days than you will have as a new employee. I've never tried any of this myself, just what I've heard from fellow engineers that changed jobs a couple times.

I Are Baboon

Vagina man
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
If the salary is right in your wheelhouse, take the offer. I wouldn't dick around if I were unemployed. Different story if I was currently employed, exploring options, and had leverage.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Just got a job offer from a great company after a few months of funemployment. The offer is really pretty good (yay) but I'm always uncertain of whether I should negotiate higher, just because I have the opportunity to do so, or if I should just accept because it's a great offer with a good company...what say you poo flingers?
as a technical recruiter I deal with this quite often.

It really depends on a few things.

1. How set is the organization in their pay structure?

2. What leverage do you have? What other competing offers do you have if they decline your counter or decide to yank the offer because you countered? (it can happen)

3. Did they lowball you or is the wage fair?

4. Do you get other perks? Good PTO? Good Bene's? etc.

In the end, it does not hurt (most of the time) to ask for a few more bucks or an extra couple of personal days. But be reasonable.

But don't be like the kid I had the other day who asked for $9 more per hour ($25.50 to $34) or, approximately $18,000 more per year, you'll get laughed at. Lucky for him I didn't share with the client how stupid he was.

Last edited:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
If the salary is right in your wheelhouse, take the offer. I wouldn't dick around if I were unemployed. Different story if I was currently employed, exploring options, and had leverage.
:stupid:

I used to take jorbs for the $$$, but now I look at the jorb itself and what I'll be doing with my time. The $$$ comes.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Work is for losers who have no imagination. Let your girlfriend figure it out. Buy a really good car and get a primo riding lawn mower before you quit....

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY

2. What leverage do you have? What other competing offers do you have if they decline your counter or decide to yank the offer because you countered? (it can happen)

In the end, it does not hurt (most of the time) to ask for a few more bucks or an extra couple of personal days. But be reasonable.

But don't be like the kid I had the other day who asked for $9 more per hour ($25.50 to $34) or, approximately $18,000 more per year, you'll get laughed at. Lucky for him I didn't share with the client how stupid he was.
This sounds right. As an employer, I always admired people trying to positively negotiate a higher rate. Showed me their hutzpah, as long as it was done in an exploratory & respectful manner. Ask if the salary is set or negotiable.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Thanks everybody for the advice. I think I'm just going to take it.

It's a startup so total flexibility is the answer. I have no leverage however, no other jobs lined up, and there were other candidates they brought in, but I'm their first choice. Their offer is above fair, it's fantastic. Other benefits are normal, average, plain, nothing special but adequate (decent health care, no 401k match, great bonus money). I think the reasonable thing in this instance is the offer I received...!

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
If you will be to busy to be a mod on here hand your powers over to PSP, he would make a great mod.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Thanks everybody for the advice. I think I'm just going to take it.

It's a startup so total flexibility is the answer. I have no leverage however, no other jobs lined up, and there were other candidates they brought in, but I'm their first choice. Their offer is above fair, it's fantastic. Other benefits are normal, average, plain, nothing special but adequate (decent health care, no 401k match, great bonus money). I think the reasonable thing in this instance is the offer I received...!
you haven't learned your lesson with startups have you?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
even with the layoff, and also because of, I'm still better off this year than I was last year. I couldn't have gotten my enderpo without the sale of the company.

so nope.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Congrats Sandwich, and best of luck in your new gig. Startups are the way to go if you want to have some fun while an office rat. I am having too much of the fun lately though.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
even with the layoff, and also because of, I'm still better off this year than I was last year. I couldn't have gotten my enderpo without the sale of the company.

so nope.
I worked for a company that was in business for 15+ years, but it was very small, and dad passed it on to his son, so it really could have been considered a start up.

2 days before I put in my two weeks notice I was laid off and given a retarded severance check. If it were not for that layoff, like you, I wouldn't have been able to blow a huge wad of cash on my tr450. I then began the job I have now.

Though now I work for one of the largest companies in our industry globally....vast difference. But the pay, perks, and bene's are better.

I wouldn't hesitate to work for a smaller organization again though.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Having started my career with 7 years at a "small" company (varying between 150-300 people), to now just over a year at a large, global company (50k+ people)....there's definitely major pros and cons of each. Still unsure which I prefer to be honest.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
hahaha...this company currently has 9 people with about 5 contractors. the last one had 14. the one before that fluctuated between 5 and 10.

I think it depends on whether you like doing "a lot of stuff" or doing a lot of one thing. The larger the company, the more pigeon holed I became.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I think it depends on whether you like doing "a lot of stuff" or doing a lot of one thing. The larger the company, the more pigeon holed I became.
user error. i work for a large company. i don't have this problem as I am extremely good at what i do, very competent, and have a very good understanding of other functional groups (sometimes a better understanding than these groups themselves do).

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
user error. i work for a large company. i don't have this problem as I am extremely good at what i do, very competent, and have a very good understanding of other functional groups (sometimes a better understanding than these groups themselves do).
:stupid:

I do everything from designing equipment to cutting 6 figure POs, managing contractors to budgeting projects and everything in between. No shortage of work and variety.

EDIT - to be fair, I have heard others with similar experiences at larger companies. Just hasn't been my experience.

Last edited:

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Large companies == a better hiding place for incompetent arseholes, at least in high tech. I excel at everything and startups let me mix it up any way I want it. :rolleyes:

CrabJoe StretchPants

Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Many people have thought I may be slightly autistic due to my less-than-ideal social skills and insane ability to remember numbers. True story.