Quantcast

Job Offer Q's

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Large companies == a better hiding place for incompetent arseholes, at least in high tech. I excel at everything and startups let me mix it up any way I want it. :rolleyes:
on the flip side, with a startup, one bad decision has a higher potential to sink the whole ship.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Having started my career with 7 years at a "small" company (varying between 150-300 people), to now just over a year at a large, global company (50k+ people)....there's definitely major pros and cons of each. Still unsure which I prefer to be honest.
I tend to prefer the small shops. But like when I was at Arris, it wasn't like I was at Arris except for the deep pockets. They bought nCube for the technology and left the company as a whole alone for the most part. So you had a start-upish mentality with the deep pockets of a fortune 500.

Here it's a smallish company (250ish with about 40% of that in manufacturing and only 20% in engineering) but likes to pretend to be Initech.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Congrats, now go get on your bike and get in as many pre-employment rides as you can. Once you start, nose to the grindstone for at least the first 90 days. That is where you make or break it with a new company.