Quantcast

Jockey wheel bearing not square in the bore?

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Anyone ever had the bearing in a rear derailleur jockey wheel be off-square?

Wife's shifting went to shit on one of her bikes this past weekend. Tracked that to the b-limit had backed out, blocking it from downshifting from the big cog at the back. While following her, the lower jockey was wobbling making me think it was loose or broken, removing it from the bike at home and the bearing isn't quite square in the bore of the cog.

Anyone ever had similar or had to try and push a new bearing in?
Replacement jockey wheels are $46 and I don't want to screw up the existing further by somehow trying to square it up without some encouragement.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
you mean the bearing is pressed in out of alignment or the bearing seat in the jockey wheel itself just out of spec (misaligned)?

also, pics.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
you mean the bearing is pressed in out of alignment or the bearing seat in the jockey wheel itself just out of spec (misaligned)?

also, pics.
Bearing is pressed in very slightly out of alignment, the faces of the bearing are not parallel with the recessed face of the jockey.

It's probably not obvious enough to show in a photo, but it makes the chain get pretty close to the cage as it rotates.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Shimano cages look bent/twisted from the factory, so they work normal looking all F-ed up. Is this a true bearing pulley wheel, or one of the cheaper bushing ones (where bearing is still technically a correct term)?

That sounds pretty expensive for replacement wheels too, I can't remember paying that much, even for the X01 stuff. But it seems likely it's a screwed up bearing if everything else checks out.