Quantcast

Joe Patterson

jaekormtb

Chimp
Jan 29, 2002
South Korea & Virginia
I want to let everyone know what kind of trader this fella is. I sent him a money order in January for a Le Toy 3 frame; I still have not received it. He said the frame was sent, but that it had been returned to him, and tat he had sent it out again. In both circumstances I asked him to get a tracking number. He did not, or at least did not send one to me. For quite some time now he has not returned my e-mails or phone calls. About two weeks ago I called and spoke to someone claiming to be his father. I explained the situation and he said he would take care of it. Gyuess what? I haven't heard rom him either. As far as I'm concerned, Joe Patterson is a criminal. Any suggestions fopr pressing charges on this guy?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Originally posted by ctrailfreak
yes never give a money order to a person online or out of state as it will be as good as cash.use a post dated check that they cant cash till you recieve the goods but they can check to see if the money's there...

...and dont buy from individuals anymore. it's just not safe.
I would never accept a post dated check as payment for anything. If I get a personal check, it must clear first before I send out the goods.

That's the way 99.9% of people who sell online do things. Are you serious? A post-dated check? What the hell is to stop the person from withdrawing all of their money the day they get the item in the mail?

jaekormtb

Chimp
Jan 29, 2002
South Korea & Virginia
Joe's not on RM, but I imagine he visits occasionally. He is on Pinkbike and dropmachine. On dropmachine his name is something like ~*norcoDHrider*~ or some such configuration. He lives in Sutton, Ontario. Yes, sending a money order has turned out to be a terrible idea. However, I believe post dating a check may be a crime (falsifying a legal document). I have been in touch with both my local police, the police in Sutton, and the organization which records and helps to prosecute internet fraud. I'll post how things go with those three later.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Actually, post dating a check is perfectly legal. And most of the time, the banks will cash 'em without even looking at the date, but they're not supposed to.

ctrailfreak, breathe. I offered my opinions on the subject just like you. If you take a bunch of text floating around on the 'net to heart like that, well, you'd better stop visiting message boards because it's gonna happen a whole lot. Don't take this stuff so seriously.

jaekormtb, you may want to contact your post office as well. With the money order involved, I believe you can get him for mail fraud on top of anything else. It may or may not help, but if you can stack a big bunch of charges up and he finds out, it may scare him enough to at least get you your money back.

Mar 22, 2004
NYC
if u use cod cash on delivey , ur good cuz if the guys a good dealer he will send the frame and u would noe what it is and u give the cash to the ups guy or whatever and if u never recive a frame its cuz hes a scammer but dont always be to sure cuz they can do cod but they can put a bogus frame and say thaz the frame they sold u unless u save ur emails from the tranaction betwwen what the agrement was.. the safest thing to do that i can say either buy only in ur city and both meet up in a group so tha nobody would try to rob one another or save up money to buy it ur self new cuz when u buy sumthing new u dont have to worry about the is it gonna crank from what the previous owner was doing with it becuz it looks new dont mean its in good condition ma bike looks new as hell like i dont do nutin to it but trust me the thing is right around the corner frome brecking

drt_jumper

Monkey
May 20, 2003
Manassas Va
if you are doing buisiness in the states send it c.o.d. and tell them you will only accept a postal money order...that way they have to go to the post office to buy it, 1. post office will have the date and time purchased . 2. you can cash it at any post office 3. most importantly it is garanteed funds....they can still screw you like others have said by putting a b.s. frame or part but at least you get your money or part depending on what you are doing

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
Originally posted by jaekormtb
I want to let everyone know what kind of trader this fella is. I sent him a money order in January for a Le Toy 3 frame; I still have not received it. He said the frame was sent, but that it had been returned to him, and tat he had sent it out again. In both circumstances I asked him to get a tracking number. He did not, or at least did not send one to me. For quite some time now he has not returned my e-mails or phone calls. About two weeks ago I called and spoke to someone claiming to be his father. I explained the situation and he said he would take care of it. Gyuess what? I haven't heard rom him either. As far as I'm concerned, Joe Patterson is a criminal. Any suggestions fopr pressing charges on this guy?
This is a bit late b/c so much time has passed... but on your money order receipt there is a phone number for the bank that issues it, typically you can call them and they will help. I had one guy say he had not received it, so I called up and cancelled the money order. I got my money back minus a $8 fee... and 6 weeks. I was told that even if he had cashed it and they had not payed it yet (typically within the first 3 weeks) they would actually refuse to honor it if I filed a complaint.

It's in the banks interest to protect your money and htey will work with you.

doesn't anyone use paypal? for a few bucks you can purchase buyer protection and most credit card companies offer buyer protection as well. just use your credit card on paypal....is there a flaw in this logic because that's all i ever do and i've never had to use the protection plan, (thank god) it's seems like the safest way to me.

May 14, 2004
Originally posted by binary visions
I would never accept a post dated check as payment for anything. If I get a personal check, it must clear first before I send out the goods.

That's the way 99.9% of people who sell online do things. Are you serious? A post-dated check? What the hell is to stop the person from withdrawing all of their money the day they get the item in the mail?
I recommend going with either an escrow service or C.O.D. These methods have always worked for me flawlessly except for two months ago I shipped a frame to a guy via C.O.D. and he never claimed it. He lied saying he got it and thought it looked good but it never left the post office the entire time. I was out the money it cost to ship it but at least I wasn't out the cost of the frame!

~Kris

arsenic

Monkey
May 9, 2004
springfield, va
http://www1.ifccfbi.gov/index.asp

check that place out and get in touch with the local police department where the thief lives. i've seen numberous people get their stuff/cash back doing stuff that way.

ppl often times change their mind about being a theif when the police are knockin at their door.

good luck