Quantcast

Joey Cheek - Now Here's An Olympian who should be getting more attention!

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Yep we've all heard a lot about Bode Miller, and the Flying Tomato, but here's a guy who deserves more media attention for his amazing win in the 500m speedskating race and then for his unbelievably unselfish actions following his victory.

The Olympic 500m champion declared that he was giving away his $25,000 U.S. Olympic Committee bonus for winning the event to help children in the war-torn region of Darfur in Sudan.

"I wanted to make it meaningful,'' he said. "It's empowering to think of someone else.''
Now how cool, and unselfish and kind is that!?

He's calling on his sponsors to match his donation. I sure hope they do.

Two good articles on Mr. Cheek here provided to me courtesy of psycle-on.

http://www.nbcolympics.com/speedskating/5105526/detail.html

http://sports.espn.go.com/oly/winter06/speed/columns/story?id=2329588

Just thought it was worthy of sharing on the Monkey. :cool:

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
I read the nbcolympic storry you linked to ... it is a great story... increadibly gracious act!!! :thumb: I guess sometimes nice guys do finish first:)

J

JRB

We didn't even have this many Olympic threads when there was cycling in it.

brungeman

I give a shirt
Jan 17, 2006
da Burgh
BurlyShirley said:
I hope he and sally struthers have a blast.

what a loser.
:stupid: :think:
Loser? the guy just won gold and you call him a loser? :think:
your statement is an OXYMORON!!!
I think if you want to be more effective in your posts you could find a better descriptive term for him...

I can understand if you dont agree that what he did was a noble effort to do something for others... maybe you would find a different charity to donate to or use the money to go into a alcohol induced stupor... That would be your choice... this guy sounds like a good hearted person and made his choice based on what he felt was important!!! A loser? Not in the least!!!

I am with you on a lot of stuff but not on this one!!!

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Burly - there's something wrong with you if you think this guy's actions equate him as a loser.

Try to post something constructive for a change or just don't post.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
MMcG said:
Burly - there's something wrong with you if you think this guy's actions equate him as a loser.

Try to post something constructive for a change or just don't post.
Constructive, eh?

Apparently sarcasm is lost around this place. Sorry for tainting your feel-good parade.

J

JRB

hahaha - BS is feeling the effects of everyone jacking with Mark for 2 days. Good work, Mark.