Quantcast

Johann Potgieter wins the 2012 Malelane TOYOTA Downhill Challenge on his 2012 Jedi!

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
If you were a WC racer, would this kind of sensationalism make you want to go to smaller/local races?

Last edited:

Rhubarb

Monkey
Jan 11, 2009
Raced against Potty in the local Cape Town Urban race lastast weekend and got totaly smoked. Still cant figure out where he made up so much time on such a short track. Such a nice guy too, stoked for him. He was surprised to see the only other Jedi in South Africa.

supramk388

Chimp
Oct 20, 2010
Albuquerque
Video from Rider Johann 'Pottie' Potgieter and NSRMTB
"This was a full run of the 2012 Malelane TOYOTA KTM DH Challenge track courtesy of Johann 'Pottie' Potgieter. The pace was approximately 65 - 75 % with relative dry conditions."

GOPR0597 on Vimeo

Congrats again to rider Johann 'Pottie' Potgieter he pinned his race run.

Last edited:

supercow

Monkey
Feb 18, 2009
Johann spent an awful lot of time racing in Yurp this past year and has done well at a lot of them. (There's quite a few of him doing the GoPro talkie runs, including one in horrendous Scottish conditions absolutely pinning it)

He's taken that experience back home and I'm glad he's doing well, BUT the level of racing in SA is not even close to the level in the UK/Europe/USA.

Not taking anything away from him, but GM didn't do well at that race, the rest of the competition aren't really up to international standards.

The "Canfield was able to beat" a lot of other sh!tbuckets that's generally ridden in SA.

Last edited:

supramk388

Chimp
Oct 20, 2010
Albuquerque
Johann spent an awful lot of time racing in Yurp this past year and has done well at a lot of them. (There's quite a few of him doing the GoPro talkie runs, including one in horrendous Scottish conditions absolutely pinning it)

He's taken that experience back home and I'm glad he's doing well, BUT the level of racing in SA is not even close to the level in the UK/Europe/USA.

Not taking anything away from him, but GM didn't do well at that race, the rest of the competition aren't really up to international standards.

The "Canfield was able to beat" a lot of other sh!tbuckets that's generally ridden in SA.
"Not taking anything away from him" - then you say but?

Is it Johann's fault Greg did not show up to race or do well? Johann showed up to win and he did, nuff said...
Think of all the money supporting Greg as well, it was awesome seeing the Canfield rider take the win over the weekend.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
That looked like a good course for a Jedi as well. It wasn't the wide open WC style course. It was a chunky rock-strewn boulder-fest.

supercow

Monkey
Feb 18, 2009
"Not taking anything away from him" - then you say but?

Is it Johann's fault Greg did not show up to race or do well? Johann showed up to win and he did, nuff said...
Think of all the money supporting Greg as well, it was awesome seeing the Canfield rider take the win over the weekend.
You're sounding like the injured little soldier. Greg didn't do well, Johann did - no one's disputing that.
You were bleeting on as if the Canfield blew the competition out the water, and you were in dire need of a reality check. Just looking at the times you can see how deep the field is... or the lack of depth for that matter.

Last edited:

supramk388

Chimp
Oct 20, 2010
Albuquerque
You're sounding like the injured little soldier. Greg didn't do well, Johann did - no one's disputing that.
You were bleeting on as if the Canfield blew the competition out the water, and you were in dire need of a reality check. Just looking at the times you can see how deep the field is... or the lack of depth for that matter.
Not at all, I am glad to see Johann's hard work pay off. He has been working hard all season I hear.

OK so 4.1 secs does not impress you but to me it was impressive. Can we move on?

Did you like the video I posted at least?

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
supramk388 heres a marketing tip: it doesn't do canfield justice when you unsubtly say that the bike is responsible for the win. You probably didn't mean it that way, but thats sure what came across (and notice that literally everybody in the thread says the same thing). If you want people to look at canfield and go "woah, that is a bike capable of going really fast" saying "HOLY **** THIS BIKE MADE THIS GUY LITERALLY GO FASTER THEN THE WORLD CHAMP" isn't going to cut it.

Instead, try congratulating him for the win and say "great race for blahblahblah" point out this other guy won. Then post the helmet cam. People will notice that it says "canfield" on the helmet, and its much less in your face and you don't have to suggest that the bike was responsible, people will make the connection that the bike can hold its own going fast on rocky terrain themselves. Winners ride canfield.

Last edited:

supramk388

Chimp
Oct 20, 2010
Albuquerque
Raced against Potty in the local Cape Town Urban race lastast weekend and got totaly smoked. Still cant figure out where he made up so much time on such a short track. Such a nice guy too, stoked for him. He was surprised to see the only other Jedi in South Africa.
Awesome man I have heard that from several people who know him well. I personally have never had a chance to meet with him but maybe next year. I doubt I will try to race him however. Get a few beers in me who knows, lol. :eek:

I hope to find his race run footage, if so I will post up for all to enjoy. Maybe more pics as well.

supramk388

Chimp
Oct 20, 2010
Albuquerque
Full write up at:
http://www.nsrmtb.co.za/2012-malelane-toyota-ktm-dh-challenge-race-report/#more-6752

Go Jedi go! Johann Potgieter hucking! photo credit rb photography

quoted from NSRMTB
"The track starts off with an easy pedally section to get you up to speed and leads into four rocky turns that puts you to the test mentally and physically. You drop off a wooden bridge towards a sturdy berm which sends you off to the second and more demanding rock garden. A break from the battery leads you to the big air bridge which drops you 4m into a berm and pedalling section, where after you navigate 12 ultra steep switchbacks, drops, a jump riddled dry river bed that weaves between the trees. And just to wake you up a pedally finish that will make your legs and lungs burn if you are hungry enough to push hard for the win."
"No doubt this is one of, if not the best and most testing DH tracks in the country, built with one goal in mind. To give local riders the opportunity to put their skills to the test and develop their riding in order to match and rival our riding cousins on the world cup circuit."

Greg Minnaar 2012 World Champ! photo credit rb photography

quoted from NSRMTB
"The time for seeding runs came up, the track dried out a bit and the winds were not as strong as earlier in the morning. Pottie surprised everyone by setting the fastest time and everyone knew the World Champ was going to gun hard to reaffirm his supremacy."
photo credit rb photography

Overall Top 5 – Johann Potgieter, Greg Minnaar, Tiaan Odendaal, Dirk Lourens & Alasdair Fey

quoted from NSRMTB
"Race day arrived and the energy was tangible as the riders did a few last practice runs and the spectators were being shuttled up the course by the FJ cruisers supplied by title sponsor Malelane TOYOTA. The riders assembled at the top as the minutes ticked by for the start of the race. A light drizzle broke out as the first rider was clamped into the start gate and the field reached the point of no return. Both Greg and Pottie looked super fast, smooth and composed as they came blasting down the mountain, but it was Pottie who managed to put it all together in a flawless run which secured him the win with a convincing four second lead."

Johann Pottie Potgieter nice work! Way to finish out 2012.

A big congrats again to Johann Pottie Potgieter, Canfield Factory Race Team & entire Canfield crew (Lance, Chris, Vin & Sean)!