Quantcast

Johnny Ramone dead at 55

tmx

aka chromegoddess
Mar 16, 2003
Portland
Marky and Tommy are left. Tommy was one of the original four. Marky came in to replace him on the drums when T decided to focus soley on producing.

Whether you're fan of the Ramones, punk rock, rock and roll or just a good documentary flick, I strongly recommend END OF THE CENTURY, recently released. Awesome doc with sensational footage, intriguing interviews. Johnny said of the flick: "It's accurate. It left me disturbed."

1-2-3-4!!!!

McGRP01

beer and bikes
Feb 6, 2003
Portland, OR
"Rocket to Russia" was an album that I wore out in highschool!!! R.I.P. Johnny.

Member of punk legends 'The Ramones,' dies
9/16/2004 8:59 AM
By: Capital News 9 web staff

Johnny Ramone -- guitarist and co-founder of "The Ramones" -- has died. He was 55. His publicist said he died in his sleep Wednesday afternoon at his Los Angeles home surrounded by friends and family. He had battled prostate cancer for five years.

He co-founded "The Ramones" in 1974 with Joey Ramone, DeeDee Ramone and Tommy Ramone, the only surviving member of the original band.

A tribute concert and cancer research fundraiser was held Sunday in Los Angeles to celebrate the band's 30th anniversary. It featured performances by Los Angeles punk band X, the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Henry Rollins and others.

Incubus

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
Boston, MA
tmx said:

Whether you're fan of the Ramones, punk rock, rock and roll or just a good documentary flick, I strongly recommend END OF THE CENTURY, recently released. Awesome doc with sensational footage, intriguing interviews. Johnny said of the flick: "It's accurate. It left me disturbed."

1-2-3-4!!!!
That was a d@mn good movie.

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
awww man, what a shame!

Even Bruce Springsteen was moved. After seeing the Ramones in Asbury Park, New Jersey, Springsteen wrote "Hungry Heart" for the band. His manager, however, swayed him to keep the song for himself and it became a hit single.

That song probably woulda been good done by the Ramones...:(

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Man they all fall like dominoes....

i never was a big fan of the Ramones, Punk always reminded me of surf music when i was a youngin, but as i grew up i either got lame or more sophisticated and grew fond of them. For a small sack of weed and some agility to hop a fence i got to see them live twice in the early 90's. i'm really glad i did.

1-2-3-4

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
narlus said:
ugh...one of the prime examples/motivators of the punk scene and that can only inspire an insipid song like "hungry heart"? :blah:

Well if anyone could do anything to make that song somewhat tolerable it would have been the Ramones. I never understood the Springsteen thing...I mean, I hate to say anyones music sucks because I'm sure it's not easy to write music, play music, whatever...but still...what is it that people saw in Springsteen...

Anyway, I'm glad I got to see the Ramones 3 times back in the day...

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
dh girlie said:
Sweet...so you just happened upon the Ramones! What an awesome thing to happen upon! :thumb:
Yup just cruisin around in the city one night and a buddy says, "Hey lets see who is at CBGB." We got there and the marquis was blank and decided to go in for a drink anyway. The bartender told us it'd be a good idea to hang out for a while that night.
When I saw Joey walk in the front door I about had a heart attack!

Saw a few really big bands that way when I lived there, and got to see The Ramones one other time. The second time I think it was Dee Dee's B-day or something.

dh girlie

MISS MISSY (geek)
Damn True said:
Yup just cruisin around in the city one night and a buddy says, "Hey lets see who is at CBGB." We got there and the marquis was blank and decided to go in for a drink anyway. The bartender told us it'd be a good idea to hang out for a while that night.

Saw a few really big bands that way when I lived there, and got to see The Ramones one other time. The second time I think it was Dee Dee's B-day or something.

Awesome...I saw em two nights in a row at One Step Beyond...remember that place!

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
Damn True said:

Saw them live in NYC. Very cool. But the best show I saw them do was in a Bull Fighting arena in Sevilla Spain. 25,000 screaming, drunk on Sangria, high on hashish Spainards. Had to truly be one of the greatest rock and roll moments in my life. Great, great show. Just blew me away. I'll never forget that ****. The crowd was singing louder then the band. Just amazing.......jdcamb

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
dh girlie said:
Awesome...I saw em two nights in a row at One Step Beyond...remember that place!

No, I'm not as old as you.

(I didn't just turn 35. I didn't just turn 35. I didn't just turn 35. I didn't just turn 35. I didn't just turn 35. I didn't just turn 35. I didn't just turn 35. I didn't just turn 35. I didn't just turn 35. I didn't just turn 35. I didn't just turn 35.)

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
jdcamb said:
Saw them live in NYC. Very cool. But the best show I saw them do was in a Bull Fighting arena in Sevilla Spain. 25,000 screaming, drunk on Sangria, high on hashish Spainards. Had to truly be one of the greatest rock and roll moments in my life. Great, great show. Just blew me away. I'll never forget that ****. The crowd was singing louder then the band. Just amazing.......jdcamb
Is that the show where they recorded Loco Live?

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
MikeD said:
Is that the show where they recorded Loco Live?
Same setlist but no it is not. It may have been a warm up date for the Loco Live show. They did have TV cameras there. And it was huge concert. It was sureal is all I can say......jdcamb