Quantcast

John's peak DH

killowatt

Chimp
May 16, 2005
Rainier, Oregon
Anybody know what the race course is like in Ashland called "John's peak"? They are going to have a race there this year and I might consider it, as long as it's a real DH race. (unlike the trail they usually run)

ragin-sagin

Monkey
Oct 2, 2003
NZ
I know its not in Ashland...its outside of Jacksonville. I used to ride up there years ago but dont know what the course is like...lots of granite and MX trails.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
I raced at John's Peak in Jacksonville a few years back (Timber Mountain Runamuck was the name of the event) and the course they used wasn't worth going back for, not much of a DH race course. It was pretty much some singletrack that went downhill, with a couple crappy manmade jumps and drops, and a really long flat finish. But, maybe the've built something new. I'd check with them to see if it's the same course.

Snacks

Turbo Monkey
Feb 20, 2003
GO! SEAHAWKS!
DH Diva said:
I raced at John's Peak in Jacksonville a few years back (Timber Mountain Runamuck was the name of the event) and the course they used wasn't worth going back for, not much of a DH race course. It was pretty much some singletrack that went downhill, with a couple crappy manmade jumps and drops, and a really long flat finish. But, maybe the've built something new. I'd check with them to see if it's the same course.
Hey thanks for the heads up on the course:) We were looking at the map last night seeing if it was worth the drive.

killowatt

Chimp
May 16, 2005
Rainier, Oregon
DH Diva said:
What you are discribing sounds like the course that they have been doing in the last few years. (catwalk trail or something like that):dead:

ragin-sagin

Monkey
Oct 2, 2003
NZ
killowatt said:
What you are discribing sounds like the coarse that they have been doing in the last few years. (catwalk trail or something like that):dead:
No no no!! Catwalk (Katwok) is outside of Ashland...

killowatt

Chimp
May 16, 2005
Rainier, Oregon
ragin-sagin said:
No no no!! Catwalk (Katwok) is outside of Ashland...
I wasn't saying that it was the same trail, I said it sounded like it. I live 6 hours away and don't even know where Jacksonville is.
All I want to know is,,, Is John's peak an acual DH or just another trail ride?

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
Catwalk is the trail used for the Spring Thaw race in Ashland. The John's Peak race is at an ORV area in Jacksonville.

Snacks, unless they have done some MAJOR course building, it isn't worth a 6 hour drive, but again, I'd check with them.

ragin-sagin

Monkey
Oct 2, 2003
NZ
DH Diva said:
Catwalk is the trail used for the Spring Thaw race in Ashland. The John's Peak race is at an ORV area in Jacksonville.

Snacks, unless they have done some MAJOR course building, it isn't worth a 6 hour drive, but again, I'd check with them.
I think your right...I just couldn't see the course being that great.

.:Jeenyus:.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 23, 2004
slc
Jacksonville is a short drive from Ashland.

I have never been to John's peak, but a lot of my friends ride moto up there. None of them have ever said anything about bike trails though...

killowatt

Chimp
May 16, 2005
Rainier, Oregon
DH Diva said:

I sent an e-mail to the race organizer and she is sending my question to the course builder. I'll let you all know as soon as I hear from he/she.