Quantcast

Josh Bender back on Canfield?

Oct 9, 2006
Just because none of you arm chair huckers have never seen him in a "freeride" video other than straight hucking doesnt mean he can't ride circles around all of you. If any of you have ever ridden any of the trail he has built whether it is in Keystone, Whistler, or any of the past Rebull Rampage Venues and styled it better than he can then you can bag on him. He is a very impressive rider to say the least and not to mention a nice guy. Ten to one he can ride circles around everyone on this board. All while towing a trailer behind his bike to carry his massive balls!!

wood booger

Monkey
Jul 16, 2008
the land of cheap beer
Just because none of you arm chair huckers have never seen him in a "freeride" video other than straight hucking doesnt mean he can't ride circles around all of you. If any of you have ever ridden any of the trail he has built whether it is in Keystone, Whistler, or any of the past Rebull Rampage Venues and styled it better than he can then you can bag on him. He is a very impressive rider to say the least and not to mention a nice guy. Ten to one he can ride circles around everyone on this board. All while towing a trailer behind his bike to carry his massive bong]

That's more like it. This sport needs more like him.

bullcrew

3 Dude Approved
Just because none of you arm chair huckers have never seen him in a "freeride" video other than straight hucking doesnt mean he can't ride circles around all of you. If any of you have ever ridden any of the trail he has built whether it is in Keystone, Whistler, or any of the past Rebull Rampage Venues and styled it better than he can then you can bag on him. He is a very impressive rider to say the least and not to mention a nice guy. Ten to one he can ride circles around everyone on this board. All while towing a trailer behind his bike to carry his massive bong]

That's more like it. This sport needs more like him.
Bong my @$$, go old school use an apple.... Eat when your done!

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
A Bender thread full of haters. Wow, I didn't see THAT one coming... :rolleyes:
The whole RM fashion of we need someone to hate needs to stop. It became trendy to have some companies and people you hate and bash every time you see a topic about them. Isnt it e-hipsterism? (yeah hipsters are crap too ;) ).

Im pretty sure some of the ppl who now hate him (or pretend to sound cool) went into the sport because of him or wanted to have his balls (not literally of course ;) ).

Muttely

Monkey
Jan 26, 2009
To be fair you haters are all way better at riding than Bender and stuff, and you all get to ride for a living and be a legend of the sport.

Oh wait, no, no you arent, and you dont.

flymybike

Monkey
Jan 7, 2004
Jackson Hole
Josh rules! It cracks me up how big peoples e-balls get when they don't have to talk face to face. You haters are Josh's bitch! Just keeps the machine rolling. Cluckin like a bunch of hens.
Seriously, how many of us are willing to sacrifice every aspect of our lives to live the dream? Only one I know is Bender. As a friend, I'll continue helping him and keep his bikes rolling as long as I have the means.
I've posted before that he actually bought his Secret Weapon from us. Chris donated his time but Josh could have bought anything he wanted for that much. Josh told me that the only bikes he ever bought, where from us.

BikeMike

Monkey
Feb 24, 2006
Srsly guise? This again?

he pioneer hucking maybe, but i wouldnt put him with the likes of Simmons, Tippie, Schley....
I have never understood why Schley was famous. Yes, he could totally do things I may never do on a bike, but compared to his peers he never appeared to be a stand-out rider. Not once have I been impressed or inspired by that dude's riding, or attitude. He may have been a solid rider, but there were other people doing more exciting things on bikes.

Bender may not have had the cool "style," but he was trying moves no one else was thinking about, and pushing the envelope of what was considered possible on a bike. In terms of influence on the sport, I would absolutely put him alongside Simmons. Maybe everyone who rode mountain bikes was hanging out in cool-stylely-ville during the early 2000s, but the media sure didn't make it seem that way. Also, in addition to being an impressive rider, Bender always appeared to have an awesome attitude.

Last edited:

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
There was a point in time when many riders looked up to Bender. The dude pushed what we thought was possible on a bike. The first large drop he did was outside of Ashland and when we saw the photo in the late 90s, we all thought it was photoshop'd. Most of the footage/photos were of him hucking, not riding. He is a good trail rider. There will always be a place for hucking in the sport because people like to overcome their fears and do drops. The scene has changed and we would all rather see a flip whip, but that's no reason to hate.

Trekrules

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2007
There was a point in time when many riders looked up to Bender. The dude pushed what we thought was possible on a bike. The first large drop he did was outside of Ashland and when we saw the photo in the late 90s, we all thought it was photoshop'd. Most of the footage/photos were of him hucking, not riding. He is a good trail rider. There will always be a place for hucking in the sport because people like to overcome their fears and do drops. The scene has changed and we would all rather see a flip whip, but that's no reason to hate.
+1 and not forgot he did a back flip on a 60 pound DH bike a view years ago

roel_koel

Monkey
Mar 26, 2003
London,England
basically Bender is a good guy with big balls, and has fun riding his bicycle = WIN

if you are wondering where the landing chute is, its just below the white napkin at the bottom of the photo

after meeting and riding with Bender I was inspired and started sending the larger stuntz like this shot below

I was really stoked when he signed to Banshee, who did a signature red Bender Scream frame, as I was riding for Banshee in the UK at the time

its great to have a rider to look up to when you are a rookie, and Bender was leading the way in the freeride scene with obscene hucking action!

I've never understood the hate for Bender, if you ever meet the guy, you would walk away with a good feeling about him ;)

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
Its the infamous jaw-drop in kamloops that bender hit and was even on "worlds amazing videos" tv show several years back. I think it was bout '60 feet. He hit it once and blew himself up on the run out. He went back a year later and hit it again!
Say what you want about the guy, he pushes the limit.:rockout:
i know what its known for, but is it just a side of a hill? or is it in a quarry or something

and i do believe he tried it 3 times and ate it each time

Delimeat

Monkey
Feb 3, 2009
Canada
what is/was that place? is it just a side of a hill?
It's just the side of a hill that eroded away. Looks weird, but a lot of the Kamloops area (where the Jah drop is/was) looks similar. Prime place for chucking... which is why so many big mountain senders come from that place. I hiked over to the drop a few seasons back and it isn't what it used it be. It has eroded in such a way that it looks much smaller than it used to. I still wouldn't want to fall off of it though.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
or no brain
That's pretty weak. He's trying stuff you won't so he's got no brain? From what I can tell, the fact that he is still riding says he's being pretty smart about it, taking calculated risks, etc.

Some people think all downhillers have no brains, do you agree?

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
That's pretty weak. He's trying stuff you won't so he's got no brain? From what I can tell, the fact that he is still riding says he's being pretty smart about it, taking calculated risks, etc.
exactly. im not stupid enough to drop 60'+ to something with almost no landing...and try it 3 or 4 times just to get thrown off like every other time.
id say that breaking your back hucking off of crap, isnt the most calculated move. the fact that he's still walking it just some dumb luck.