Quantcast

Josh Brycelands SC V10 team bike for sale on ebay

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Pretty cool. But I think the seller is setting himself up for disappointment by only selling to 2 cities in England.

May 6, 2004
What he said about two places was that the bike could be picked up in person. He seems to be willing to post the bike, but I reckon it only concerns the UK only.

rosenamedpoop

Turbo Monkey
Feb 27, 2004
just Santa Cruz...
I think so.. Steve and Greg are both the same height I believe, pretty sure they ride the same bike geometry-wise.
Height is not the only variable in this equation. Leg length proportional to arm length, torsoe length, etc...

Besides, Steve and Greg said in multiple interviews throughout the season what they were running for geo. Steve has a longer than stock top tube. Greg runs stock geo. I'm not there with measuring tools, just conveying what two people have said repeatedly about their own bikes.

Nov 4, 2007
Bay Area
For what it's worth, my V10 with a Fox 40, fairly high up in the crowns (about .25" visible above the top clamp) is 62-ish when sagged. Looking at static geo numbers doesn't tell you all that much.

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
For what it's worth, my V10 with a Fox 40, fairly high up in the crowns (about .25" visible above the top clamp) is 62-ish when sagged. Looking at static geo numbers doesn't tell you all that much.
Considering that all bikes sag and some of them now are 63-64 that is not craaaaazy slack. Also I've got a bike that sags a lot and slackens out due to it but it's pretty annoying that it rides as I want it only when I put a lot of weight into it. I'd much rather have less sag and better static geo.

Still the bike is nice and I like it. Even though I hate the susp feel on the v10.

dropmachine

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Your face.
Sorry, but the boys riding the stock geometry is CLEARLY impossible. THe RM Elite have proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that anything steeper then 64 degrees is completely unridable, unless its to the store to pick up milk. Even then, you're taking your life into your own hands. ITs been proven that trying to ride the new Glory with its 65 HA will result in not only your own death (and related loss of hte race) but the death of 33 people you know as well. SO, I ask you how would it be possible to ride the V10s stock geo with a 67 HA? Clearly, its all photoshop.

The RM have spoken. Bow down.

captainspauldin

intrigued by a pole
May 14, 2007
Jersey Shore
Height is not the only variable in this equation. Leg length proportional to arm length, torsoe length, etc...

Besides, Steve and Greg said in multiple interviews throughout the season what they were running for geo. Steve has a longer than stock top tube. Greg runs stock geo. I'm not there with measuring tools, just conveying what two people have said repeatedly about their own bikes.

yeah I wasn't sure to be honest..

ekripper

Chimp
Jul 2, 2005
Salt Lake City, Utah
Sorry, but the boys riding the stock geometry is CLEARLY impossible. THe RM Elite have proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that anything steeper then 64 degrees is completely unridable, unless its to the store to pick up milk. Even then, you're taking your life into your own hands. ITs been proven that trying to ride the new Glory with its 65 HA will result in not only your own death (and related loss of hte race) but the death of 33 people you know as well. SO, I ask you how would it be possible to ride the V10s stock geo with a 67 HA? Clearly, its all photoshop.

Amen! I ride my new Glory in the dark and alone because of the HA shame I feel.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Amen! I ride my new Glory in the dark and alone because of the HA shame I feel.
I feel you. I am only taking the Socom out for easy XC rides, even some of the AM style trails are impossible to ride with such a steep HA. ;) :D

Chimp
Oct 9, 2009
Riding a computer desk.
Still the bike is nice and I like it. Even though I hate the susp feel on the v10.
Please elaborate. Have you ridden the newest generation or are you just e-speculating. The one's I have ridden all have the most gooey bottomless feeling suspension I have ever ridden, almost to the point of feeling dead in the back but it did its job wonderfully.

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC

you are the king, jeff....move to bc, soon

BKQuill

Turbo Monkey
Dec 19, 2004
Rangers Lead the Way

Well played my friend, well played.:thumb:

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
10" of travel at 40% sag makes 67* pretty slack. Probably about the same as a certain DW link bike with 8" travel and 35% sag.......
Having owned both bikes (09 models of both), I can tell you that it's not the same. The V10 is noticeably steeper, even dynamically.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle

Maybe if you are sitting with all of you weight on the saddle...

You are claiming that dynamic measurements are more meaningful as that is how the bike is when riding...but you are taking measurements in a position that you are NOT in when riding. Those measurements mean less than a static, un-weighted spec.

To have that sort of change in angle, the rear would have to sag 5" MORE than the front. Typical sag on a 8" fork is 2" (on horizontal ground), so you are saying that in your actual DH stance riding DOWN HILL, your rear sags 7-8+ inches?????

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali

You are claiming that dynamic measurements are more meaningful as that is how the bike is when riding...but you are taking measurements in a position that you are NOT in when riding. Those measurements mean less than a static, un-weighted spec.

To have that sort of change in angle, the rear would have to sag 5" MORE than the front. Typical sag on a 8" fork is 2" (on horizontal ground), so you are saying that in your actual DH stance riding DOWN HILL, your rear sags 7-8+ inches?????
glad someone else passed high school geometry.

while it is true that a 10 inch rear travel bike will have more sag, and therefore a lower effective HA during riding, than an 8 inch rear travel bike w/ the same fork and front triangle geo, people still overestimate the amount of slackening that will result during actual riding.

in very rough terms, an inch of sag at the rear (or an inch of more travel up front) translates to a 1 degree slacker HA, so all else being equal, a 10 inch travel bike might give an extra 0.6 - 0.8 inches of deeper sag, which potentially means a dynamic HA during riding that is about a degree slacker than the 'other' bike with the 8 inch rear travel and identical static geo.

So, roughly speaking, a V10 could ride like an 8 inch bike w/ a static HA of 66 degrees.

in actuality though we all play around w/ front / rear spring rates and lo speed compression damping to get the right handling we're looking for, so the above math is a very rough estimation. 'all else' is not equal; some bikes are setup so you can run lots of sag w/o bottoming issues.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Please elaborate. Have you ridden the newest generation or are you just e-speculating. The one's I have ridden all have the most gooey bottomless feeling suspension I have ever ridden, almost to the point of feeling dead in the back but it did its job wonderfully.
I think you answered your own question. Also it didn't really felt fluid. I've tried a v10 with a avy shock tuned for a rider exactly my weight and I though it was rubbish. Not only the bike feeling overly dead but also the susp just felt strange and unnatural. The susp on the v10 does really nothing amazing besides pedaling. Too much travel, rather dead feel and not as some people think OMGWTFBBQ the best rockgarden ability ever. There are more rearward bikes that do that better. I'm quite sure my lapierre carries speed better with a worse shock(dhx air) than the v10 with the avy.

Don't get me wrong v10 is a nice bike though I think it's a bit overrated. There are a lot other plowy bikes that could do the job just as good if not better.

Last edited:

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
I think you answered your own question. Also it didn't really felt fluid. I've tried a v10 with a avy shock tuned for a rider exactly my weight and I though it was rubbish. Not only the bike feeling overly dead but also the susp just felt strange and unnatural. The susp on the v10 does really nothing amazing besides pedaling. Too much travel, rather dead feel and not as some people think OMGWTFBBQ the best rockgarden ability ever. There are more rearward bikes that do that better. I'm quite sure my lapierre carries speed better with a worse shock(dhx air) than the v10 with the avy.

Don't get me wrong v10 is a nice bike though I think it's a bit overrated. There are a lot other plowy bikes that could do the job just as good if not better.
It's my experience that most people (myself included) can list off all the things we liked/disliked about various bikes and which one does what better and at the end of the day will go the exact same speed on all of them.:eek:

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
It's my experience that most people (myself included) can list off all the things we liked/disliked about various bikes and which one does what better and at the end of the day will go the exact same speed on all of them.:eek:
My bike performs better when it (and I) is filled with Pabst Blue Ribbon.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
I'm not completely sure it was faster but it felt slower threw the rough and that's what I was refering to. Why do we have to be 100% literal on RM no to be suspected on saying stupid stuff?
Also what could point out to the rough speed is that on easy rougher sections (ie. the ones where rider skill should mean little) I was faster than my mate even though I run lower pressure than he does.

Also on my experiance we are always a bit faster on the bike we feel more confident on ;)

lumpygravy

Chimp
Sep 4, 2008
I'm not completely sure it was faster but it felt slower threw the rough and that's what I was refering to. Why do we have to be 100% literal on RM no to be suspected on saying stupid stuff?
Also what could point out to the rough speed is that on easy rougher sections (ie. the ones where rider skill should mean little) I was faster than my mate even though I run lower pressure than he does.

Also on my experiance we are always a bit faster on the bike we feel more confident on ;)
The V10 hasn't slowed the syndicate down. You simply can't argue with real world testing and results and the 2009 results indicate that the V10 is the fastest bike on the circuit.

By comparison the results of Yeti and Intense suggest their bikes are HUGELY over-rated and uber-expensive.

Of course we know it is 99% rider, which begs the question why are we talking about the relative performance of bikes in the first place?

Muttely

Monkey
Jan 26, 2009
Norbar, perhaps it felt slower because you were riding smoother? i sometimes find myself finishing a run, and being like ****, that was so dirty slow, when i get back up i find myself being told it was fast?

shift96

Monkey
Mar 21, 2009
The V10 hasn't slowed the syndicate down. You simply can't argue with real world testing and results and the 2009 results indicate that the V10 is the fastest bike on the circuit.

By comparison the results of Yeti and Intense suggest their bikes are HUGELY over-rated and uber-expensive.

Of course we know it is 99% rider, which begs the question why are we talking about the relative performance of bikes in the first place?
You can't compare the Syndicate to normal weekend warriors. Riders at that level take a completely different setup. Some bikes handle better the faster they are ridden and feel like poop when ridden slower. To say "the Syndicate does well on it then so will I" is a little bit naive.

lumpygravy

Chimp
Sep 4, 2008
You can't compare the Syndicate to normal weekend warriors. Riders at that level take a completely different setup. Some bikes handle better the faster they are ridden and feel like poop when ridden slower. To say "the Syndicate does well on it then so will I" is a little bit naive.
Riders at that level have a different set up but the same frame. All DH bikes handle better the faster you go, a a certain level of speed is required to activate the suspension, however I wouldn't be so bold as to pass judgement on a persons riding ability, especially if i did not know them.

Nov 4, 2007
Bay Area

This was a quick measurement, which indicates a 4" difference. Get over it. Let's say the actual average difference when riding is around 3", that still gives 63.5 HA. The point being, the static numbers don't tell the story.

norbar

Jun 7, 2007
Norbar, perhaps it felt slower because you were riding smoother? i sometimes find myself finishing a run, and being like ****, that was so dirty slow, when i get back up i find myself being told it was fast?
Seriously I don't care. V10's feel like crap for me. I don't like the susp feel, the geo, looks (yes those too). I may argue for quite long but I'm not able to scientificaly proove it to anyone that it is a bad bike. I just say it is in my opinion an overrated bike (mainly because "syndicate can't be wrong") and for me it feels bad.