Quantcast

Juat moved to Boulder, CO... Looking for trail recomendations

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
I just relocated to Boulder, CO and would love some advice on the local riding scene.

Trail recommendations within an hour drive?

Good bike shops?

Groups rides/clubs, etc?

General info about this whole area ?

Thanks in advance,
Dave

Freeridin'

Monkey
Oct 23, 2006
Colorado
Spend some time at Valmont bike park and you'll get some good info.

There are a few DH spots within an hours drive and the resorts a little ways further. In terms of trail rides, Hall Ranch is my favorite just look out for all the lycra.

Boulder prides its as being extremely bike friendly, unfortunately that does not really translate into good mountain biking.

Last edited:

snowskilz

xblue attacked piggy won
May 15, 2004
rado
Hook up with the guys from the fix. Valmont is super rad and west mag in Nederland is a sweet xc lap

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
The North Boulder Cycle Sport shop is great. Tons of pros are in and out of their for service and group rides, and their selection and service is pretty damn good.

Valmont is sick as well. I still haven't done much XC up there though, but they will be building new ones soon.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Walker Ranch is a must do. If you ride there from town its called Super Walker. Good luck on that one!

Not sure about clubs. Other than trail advocacy. Which is important. But most of the peeps I've met and are bros with I've met on MTBR/Front Range forum or the local race series - Mountain States Cup. There's also a new endurance series, should be sweet. http://www.bigmountainenduro.com/

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
Hey I'm in town for a month starting today. I know a couple of good rides around here. Hall full loop is a must do. Red Rocks and the devils backbone for pure technical stuff is also fun.

PM me if you want to ride. I mostly ride in the AM, but flexible in the PM also.

I'll also be at the bike park with a Banshee Spitfire with a Pike and gold pro taper bar. Say hi if you see me.

Last edited:

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
Walker Ranch is a must do. If you ride there from town its called Super Walker. Good luck on that one!
Ha! That would be pretty insane. I'd give up right after the initial climb; vultures will have no mercy of my east coast cadavre

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
Thanks guys.

I was originally going to ride Walker Ranch today but ended up going to Hall after peoples recommendations on here.

Walker is probably on tomorrow's agenda.

Zoro, I have no real agenda as I am taking an "adult" summer vacation but mornings seem to be the best as it has been HOT here later in the day.

Do you have a DH bike with you? I was thinking of headin gup to Winter Park and Keystone later this week as well.

Some folks at Hall trail head also showed me a trail head on the other side of the road just a few blocks away that they said was a lot of fun as well so I will have to give that a go soon as well.

Cheers,
Dave

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
Thanks guys.

I was originally going to ride Walker Ranch today but ended up going to Hall after peoples recommendations on here.

Zoro, I have no real agenda as I am taking an "adult" summer vacation but mornings seem to be the best as it has been HOT here later in the day.

Do you have a DH bike with you? I was thinking of headin gup to Winter Park and Keystone later this week as well.

Some folks at Hall trail head also showed me a trail head on the other side of the road just a few blocks away that they said was a lot of fun as well so I will have to give that a go soon as well.

Cheers,
Dave
Hey Dave good to hear that you made your way to Hall, it's a great ride.

I'm with the SO and my 13 month baby here so that's why the morning time slot is preferred (9 to 12ish). I only have my AM bike so no real DHing for me although I'll be racing the Trestle enduro thing at the end of this month, so I'll be taking a couple of runs in the Winter Park bike park.

Last time I was here, there was too much snow to ride the Nederlands trails (West Mag sector) so I plan on hitting those for sure this month. I heard it was well worth the drive up the canyon.

Anyway let me know if you want to ride on Tuesday; we could hit walker ranch, it's a pretty epic ride with the views and all.

Seb

Mulestar

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2007
in the dirt
For lift riding, I thought winter park and keystone were pretty mediocre but sol vista and crested butte were amazing....but...different strokes and all that. They're all worth checking out.

Wasn't too impressed with the front range XC riding I did but I know the goods are there.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Holy sh!t, is that real? If so, that may change my stance on the legalization of pot.
When I left boulder, this is what it was turning into. Sad, sad day. I remember super awesome trail days up and down pipeline and the other trail around the corner. Then 9/11, a new water treatment plant and everything awesome started to get shut down. Weak. Crazy hippies and security, ruining it for everyone.

dan-o

Turbo Monkey
Jun 30, 2004
When I left boulder, this is what it was turning into. Sad, sad day. I remember super awesome trail days up and down pipeline and the other trail around the corner. Then 9/11, a new water treatment plant and everything awesome started to get shut down. Weak. Crazy hippies and security, ruining it for everyone.
Hell, it was at that stage when I left in '92.
Boulder makes Marin look tolerant.

bustanutley

Chimp
Jul 23, 2008
Boulder is the worst place to be on the front range for bikes. There are a couple of really crowded trails and Valmont. If you drive an hour or 2 in any direction the options get better. Cheers.

reidhresko

Chimp
Jun 27, 2006
PRB
Ride:

White Ranch just north of Golden. Ride up belcher hill to the top of mustang, ride mustang back to belcher, climb back up belcher for 15 mins and then turn right onto mustang->longhorn->short horn.

Dakota Ridge and Matthews Winters loop. Make sure you go south on Dakota. Dakota is the most technically challenging trail ride on the front range.

Ride Walker counterclockwise, but not a super walker unless you like suffering on roads.

You can shuttle up to west mag in nederland and link singletrack pretty much all the way back to boulder, but you need to ride with someone who knows the route.

betaso is segway-tastic, but a fine close in ride to boulder.

ride up chimney gulch and down apex in golden.

most of the below-the-radar dh stuff around boulder has been shut down. Head to Winter Park, Sol Vista, Keystone, and Vail for some good, varied lift served riding.

and, IMHO, get a road bike. The mtb access in Boulder really isn't all that great (Golden is WAY better), but the road rides around Boulder are pretty damn world class. Not the most fun, but if you have one hour to get out, you will waste most of it driving to a trail from boulder as opposed to riding.

ZoRo

Turbo Monkey
Sep 28, 2004
MTL
Boulder is the worst place to be on the front range for bikes. There are a couple of really crowded trails and Valmont. If you drive an hour or 2 in any direction the options get better. Cheers.
I'm sure that's true, but coming from an East coast city, it's pure paradise; even if that means driving 30-40 mins to the trail head!

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
there are a lot of really good rides modestly close to boulder.

white ranch is the hotness of course per reid's mention above. its basically a pedal access downhill ride. super fun, totally worthy. I rode this 3x a week all spring/fall when i lived in denver (no summer rides unless way early am. no shade on long/hard/steep/loose climb. brutal)

also, just go ahead and buy a latitude 40 map (at any bike shop really). it has pretty much everything you need to know.

but specifically check out (all within 1 hour from boulder):

eldora town/hessie
mud lake trails
alaska hill*
dot trails
hobbit/school bus/west mag
tennesse mountain*
rising/setting sun*
miller rock
camp dick
rollinsville
golden gate
hall ranch
marysville*

*=may or may not be legit to ride anymore, its been about 5 years since i lived there.

Last edited:

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
transend, are you talking about "experimental trail" that came out just above the tunnel? that was good stuff man.

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
I think a bunch of people on here missed the part where I said good trail rides within an hour drive of Boulder. I am not expecting much good stuff in a town that is dead flat and do not mind driving a bit for good riding (that's what we did back in VT).

I have ridden the lift services stuff and am planning some trips to fruita, telluride, Etc and have friends up in Vail so will be exploring quite a bit.

Just looking for some fun loops to do midweek or after work.... Thanks for the tips guys.

cjcrashesalot

Monkey
May 15, 2005
WA
Huge bummer about White Ranch: They just sanitized the entire upper section of Long Horn. Took out most of the rocks, widened it, and buffed it smooth all within the last week or so. I'm still distraught over it.

skyst3alth

Monkey
Apr 13, 2004
Denver, CO
Thanks guys.

Cheers,
Dave
Yeah Heil Ranch, ++. Start at Picture Rock trailhead, go clockwise at the split and follow Wild Turkey. If i'm after work i'll just ride Wild Turkey then back down Picture Rock, if I have time i'll head all the way down Waipiti and back up. Hit up Oscar Blues on your way out of town, call it a day.

Dakota to Morrison Slide is a good but short loop (with lots of hikers on the MS side).

White Ranch if it's not too hot out to ride up Belcher. Belcher > Mustang > Maverick > Longhorn (stay left where LongHorn splits as you're coming down).

Walker is pretty solid CW. Three Sisters is pretty fun. I even like Lair of the Bair, if you hit it when it's not busy you can carry some real speed around there, pretty fun to zip around - real smooth. Forget about it on the weekends through.

Centennial Cone is good if you have the time, again just pretty fast, not really tech.

reidhresko

Chimp
Jun 27, 2006
PRB
Huge bummer about White Ranch: They just sanitized the entire upper section of Long Horn. Took out most of the rocks, widened it, and buffed it smooth all within the last week or so. I'm still distraught over it.
just rode this the other day. what a drag. next they'll try and "de-rock" dakota.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Oh yeah, don't forget to go 5 hours south and visit Angel Fire. Seriously, some great stuff. Plus those New Mexicans are some of the best peeps bringing some of the best vibes to lift service terrain. Rock on Angel Fur!