Quantcast

Judy Butter Application? --> 06 Boxxers

Cooper

Chimp
May 18, 2005
Sydney, OZ
just a quick one guys....

I just recieved my new 06 boxxer teams and have read that some judy butter will greatly improve the breakin period. (At the moment the spring leg has quite a lot of bushing friction)

So i was wondering what is the best way to apply the J.B. to 06 forks? With the older castings it seemed to be much easier to pry the seals up with a screwdriver. The new castings see the seals recessed though , so its much more dificult.

Anytips?

PS: i checked the service man and it only shows how to do it with the stauntions remmoved.

cheers

Cave Dweller

Monkey
May 6, 2003
I was thinking the same thing.

I decided that the only safe way to do it is to take the legs off and then pack underneath which requires a full strip down.

Im going to leave it till my first rebuild in a few weeks, until then i am just spaying the legs with alot of silicone spray to help break in.

Also, i was wondering, the new boxxers have a foam ring under the seal, im not sure if putting thick grease in with the foam ring is a good idea, im thinking to use thick oil and the foam or take the foam out and pack with thick grease. What did others do??

Zankou

Chimp
Mar 7, 2006
on my 96 judy sl, with the fork fully decompressed, I put a ring of it around the base of the stanchion where it meets the lower casings then just bounced on it like crazy till it worked in. Then cleaned up the rest with a rag so it wouldnt act as a dust magnet.