Quantcast

Judy XL on '01 Iguana

Jaffa

Chimp
Sep 12, 2001
Adelaide, Australia
I got a 2001 model Giant Iguana and some guy is selling some Judy XL's really cheap. Is the Iguana frame strong enough to accept dual-crown forks or not?

Thanx

KonaDude

Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Victoria, BC, Canada.
I bet the frame is strong enough for the fork. The problem comes when someone rides the frame like most riders do when they have dual crown forks. Most riders go to dual crowns forks for extra stiffness and strength for drops, jumps, and fast descending. This is abusive to the bike. That's where the problem will be.

A better fork is probably the Marzocchi Bomber Z.5 Coil. Depending on how cheap you're getting this XL, the Bomber is a great deal and should offer better performance. Most frame's warranties are voided by dual crown fork usage, so the Z.5 would also be less likely to void your frame's warranty.

Just a couple thoughts. Barring that, lots of people I know have put dual crown forks on frames not intended for them with success.

The warranty issue will be the only prob I would think.I used to run Judy XL's on a GT LTS and while the frame was fine I did manage to ovalise an FSA headset :D Maybe look into geting a steel BMX headset if your gonna give the bike some stick.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
I wouldn't do it. The frame was not designed with double crowns in mind. They will put different stresses on the frame. The cumulative effect could result in something catastrophic. Check out "nobody's" web site accessed through his profile for examples of some ctastrophic failures. Then imagine its you riding when it breaks. I broke a fork off at the steer tube crown race interface. It hurts. Be careful.

G

Gutty

on that other site. No gusset = No double crown. I'm not just being a d!ck here. I have a double crown fork on my DBR which voids the warrenty, but my frame has a nice gusset under the down tube. One of my mates just bought that bike(iguana) and i know it doesn't have any gusset at all under the down tube. On some bikes (e.g. kona) that use good tubing (e.g. Easton) it isn't as needed but i'm sorry to say you don't have one of these bikes. You can put in on and it will be great if you don't ride hard but start doing anything over 4-5 foot and your gonna get hurt. Hope this helps. Just my opinion.