Quantcast

Juicy 3 piston problem

tom-swift

Chimp
Aug 5, 2009
Denver
I had a set of Juicy 3's lying around waiting for new pads so I had stored them with bleed blocks in the caliper... until I had to bleed my 7's. Of course when I do that my dumb ass friend squeezes the **** out of the lever while I wasn't watching even tho the damn things weren't installed on a bike. The piston on the side where the hose connects to the caliper was fully extended and a little fluid was visible. I pushed it back in a bit w/ an allen lever w/ a rag over it which has at least prevented any more fluid leak but it feels pretty hard and I can't get it to go any further. What are my options? I really don't wanna take the caliper apart :confused:

Edit: saw that Code 5 post... I've separated pistons before when that happens but in this case I've applied enough force to make me a little nervous.

Last edited:
Aug 6, 2006
Denver, CO
the piston may have come out to the point that some air could've gotten behind it. Not allowing it to go back in the whole way. Push them in as far as you can without damage (plastic tire levers are nice for this) and set everything up to bleed the brakes. when you have both syringes hooked up, keep the caliper syringe clamp open, and push the pistons the whole way back. Then continue bleeding.

since they're juicy 3's, bleeding will suck, and probably take forever. But from that point forward, everything in life should be easy

tom-swift

Chimp
Aug 5, 2009
Denver
I did try bleeding them and doing that because I am pretty sure air got back there. Air came out when I bled the line, but it was still difficult to push the piston (with the caliper syringe open). I'll give it another shot tonight. Thanks!

zebrahum

Monkey
Jun 22, 2005
SL,UT
You may have got it to go in slightly crooked. Do a quick visual check and make sure the piston is going in straight from all sides. If it's not straight, your safest option is probably to blow the piston back out and try again. A small amount of grease on the piston seal won't hurt either.

And like dirty said, try using a plastic tire lever or a box end wrench. Never push right on the post in the center of the pistons, trust me, they'll break. If you need to push harder than a tire lever can deliver, something's wrong.

tom-swift

Chimp
Aug 5, 2009
Denver
Both of you have sound advice but I think zebrahum's is a little more constructive. I may very well have gotten it a bit crooked since I panicked a little bit due to the fluid coming out. It didn't really look crooked last I checked but I'll take a better look when I get home. Thanks!

tom-swift

Chimp
Aug 5, 2009
Denver
You may have got it to go in slightly crooked. Do a quick visual check and make sure the piston is going in straight from all sides. If it's not straight, your safest option is probably to blow the piston back out and try again. A small amount of grease on the piston seal won't hurt either.

And like dirty said, try using a plastic tire lever or a box end wrench. Never push right on the post in the center of the pistons, trust me, they'll break. If you need to push harder than a tire lever can deliver, something's wrong.
You were right, upon closer examination of the piston it was a little off. I only had to back the piston out a bit to straighten it up and then both pistons returned w/ the force of a tire lever. Thanks, I appreciate the help... wasn't the first time you've given me good advice.